Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Simon Reynolds K-Punk Memorial Lecture

There are many shouts in music. What those shouts 'mean' and how they are understood by the listener depends on context.

There are shouts and there is The Shout!

As for 'not being comfortable' with Acid Communism.... Well, it doesn't exist does it? It didn't get written. So you can make your own one up!

Anyway good first post Whispering Dave. We all welcome you to our home.

I was reading The Shout as an intentional reference to the amazing Alan Bates movie:

Lots of interesting resonances there for me - Reich and the muscular armouring of the throat for one. I've screamed spontaneously in therapy sessions when I got in touch with terror I was holding elsewhere in my body. Was reminded of Hakim Bey's TAZ (Temporary Autonomous Zone) as well. Which is basically asking how might we live if this bloody revolution is never going to happen? Where can you find some space? What's that going to be like?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    Lots of interesting resonances there for me - Reich and the muscular armouring of the throat for one. I've screamed spontaneously in therapy sessions when I got in touch with terror I was holding elsewhere in my body. Was reminded of Hakim Bey's TAZ (Temporary Autonomous Zone) as well. Which is basically asking how might we live if this bloody revolution is never going to happen? Where can you find some space? What's that going to be like?
    you can't. TAZ are like medieval clans and feudal family structures. eventually the restrictions of non-autonomous zones end up asserting themselves first as a dull compulsion and then as an overwhelming brute necessity. revolution is not a singular event, but a historical process. the revolution is the cataclysmic historical rupture when the conflict reaches a fever pitch. if it doesn't happen, well, it doesn't happen and you just gotta live your life. simple as.

this is my problem with anti-marxians. by all means convince me what marx said was a load of total hogwash, but first handle the masters tools with grace. turn him out from the inside. Can't think of many people (even anarchists) who do this. strange given that philosophy itself was always a question of being far too familiar with your opponent.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

it's all good being interested in gnostic cults but cults themselves can be prisons.
    I respect islamists

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    As for 'not being comfortable' with Acid Communism.... Well, it doesn't exist does it? It didn't get written. So you can make your own one up!
    I know this is a response to whispering dave but bruv i invented dat ting in 2009 why would i need to make it up?

played this to my mum that time and it freaked her out turn it down what is this noise baba will be furious.

It's the sound of communist revolution, mother.
    I respect islamists

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

communism being the return to and integration of primitive man as a unitary higher level social man the first step of acid communism is unhinged machinic sex, delirium, amnesia and loss of control. the 60s did not go there. chicago house did. acid/jack was the biggest revolution in music after the delta blues, droid can splutter indignantly all he likes.

Last edited by thirdform; 19-01-2020 at 05:02 PM.
    I respect islamists

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    Yes absolutely. How we interpret any particular shout depends to a large extent on the pattern of muscular tension we pick up on in throat and jaw and etc when we hear these sounds we reverse engineer them and can feel to some extent how they are produced.

this is the basis of how we distinguish between shouts of pain fear exultation ecstasy etc
    Last edited by luka; 19-01-2020 at 05:46 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

This is what we have been banging on about here for the last three years or so isn't it.

am not unclenching my throat tension and letting out a scream in front of Margaret McBurney lads. have some blimmin standards. therapy is dress-2-impress.
    I respect islamists

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    this is my problem with anti-marxians. by all means convince me what marx said was a load of total hogwash, but first handle the masters tools with grace. turn him out from the inside. Can't think of many people (even anarchists) who do this.
    Did you try Ludwig von Mises?

Did anyone read Will 'big dada' Ashon's book about Wu tang clan's '36 chambers'. He has a lot of stuff in there about the sax/trumpet (can't remember which) howl/squeal. The honk. I think with reference to 'The grunt' by the JBs and lots of other tunes. Is this the same thing as the shout??

Will try to find the bits and post em up. I read it and enjoyed it but don't really like or know Wu tang (apart from that album) enough to remember any of it. But I do remember he had this thing about the horn. I'm sure I've heard it somewhere else as well, the 'mutant trumpet' by Egyptian lover.

Do us a favour please. When you do it can you start a new thread called 'The Shout.' l reckon there's enough to justify it having its own thread and maybe Simon would like to expand on it as well. Could be good.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    . eventually the restrictions of non-autonomous zones end up asserting themselves first as a dull compulsion and then as an overwhelming brute necessity. .
    This may be true but the point is the "temporary" surely? I think you can absolutely make a case that the free spaces found in raves, squats, even therapy encounter groups are autonomous zones where different rules come into play even if it's only for a few hours. That's the point.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post:

Its the whole point and it's absolutely vital. It's such such powerful magic.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post: