Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940

Thread: Brexit Day

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    He was a remainer.
    I was just checking... the sister is Remain but dunno about Stanley. Either way he campaigned for Johnson as PM which was effectively campaigning for Brexit as I see it.

Obviously Brexit has taken a back seat over the last few weeks, both here and in general, but I'm sure you've all heard by now that the EU generously asked the UK if we wanted to take part in a Europe-wide ventilator procurement scheme, the government declined and then a Downing Street spokesman lied about having "missed an email"?

Meanwhile the ventilator contract has gone to noted Brexit supporter and Tory donor, James Dyson.

But remember, everyone knew what they were voting for, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs

Do you think being in the EU would somehow have forced the Tory govt to take the EU's ventilators against their will and not reward their millionaire mates?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to john eden For This Useful Post:

Also has anyone seen anything from the ultra liberal ultra democratic EU denouncing the Hungarian state for sliding towards dictatorship?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to john eden For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    Do you think being in the EU would somehow have forced the Tory govt to take the EU's ventilators against their will and not reward their millionaire mates?
    No, obviously not. That would be idiotic. That would be to treat Brexit as an isolated phenomenon rather than as part of a much wider reactionary populist movement that's put a government in power that's risking people's lives to maintain a ludicrous pretence of jingoistic self-sufficiency.
    i hate sigs

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    Also has anyone seen anything from the ultra liberal ultra democratic EU denouncing the Hungarian state for sliding towards dictatorship?
    John, can I remind you, before you sink any further into this no doubt highly enjoyable Eurosceptic huff, that I have at no point ever held the position that the EU is God's Kingdom on Earth and beyond all criticism?
    i hate sigs

I can't speak for John but one of the things that I find a bit wearisome and provocative is the non stop 'look at these idiot plebs, they'll suffer soon enough. They'll get their comeuppance. Then they'll be sorry!' thing. I don't know if that is the only thing he is reacting against but it makes me want to react to it often.