The great unwashed / popular taste

sadmanbarty

I’m not sure I think people climbing out of there tastes is necessarily a good thing. One of the reasons we all like Luke is because of his vitriolic aesthetic red lines. Likewise one reason we all love Craner is because of his very distinctive aesthetic framework. It’s charming with third, with patty, etc. It’d be a genuine loss if Luke started appreciating frank zapper. He’s lose something. He’s be a worse person.

It’s like trying to make people appreciate a different sense of humour from their own. It’s something so integral to their character.

I love playing people who don’t like dancehall and jazz and jungle and all that my music precisely because they don’t get it. It’s one of my favourite things when they get completely “wrong” or come up with an angle I wouldn’t have thought of in a million years.

luka

Like entertainment says in reality you make decisions about what is worth trying to get and what is just irredeemable rubbish without any merit whatsoever. I'm not going to go back and try and like dubstep.

luka

But I let you nag me into liking drill when my first instinct said lol this is joke music

luka

And also there's free improv stuff and the electro-acoustic stuff that I wouldn't play at my wedding but I learned to love and in learning to love them learned something about listening and rewired my brain.

luka

To get something you didn't get at first meeting you're learning to perform a new trick, a new kind of perception, you're listening better, you're enlarging the field of awareness and increasing the intensity of attention

luka

I do get really angry with my peers who simply won't give anything a chance. They know what they like and they've no interest in adding to that select list. It's stultifying. It's depressing. It really winds me up.

They just won't listen anything new unless it sounds like something old. I shouldn't care but I do.

sadmanbarty

I do get really angry with my peers who simply won't give anything a chance. They know what they like and they've no interest in adding to that select list. It's stultifying. It's depressing. It really winds me up.

They just won't listen anything new unless it sounds like something old. I shouldn't care but I do.

That’s true actually. Given the people you’re surrounded by, shutting yourself off from stuff does become indicative of something far bleaker.

droid

It's very hard for me to beleive that droid doesn't like gimmie the light. Very very hard. All my instincts tell me he must be lying.

lol, and I cant believe you like it! That weedy little voice, awful flow, trite lyrics, the blandness. The context isnt even the main objection.

luka

lol, and I cant believe you like it! That weedy little voice, awful flow, trite lyrics, the blandness. The context isnt even the main objection.

This is what I mean! It's Impossible to believe anyone likes something we don't like! Impossible! They can't possibly be honest. They're lying to us or they're lying to themselves!

luka

Like entertainment says in reality you make decisions about what is worth trying to get and what is just irredeemable rubbish without any merit whatsoever. I'm not going to go back and try and like dubstep.

I mig be getting the terminology wrong but in gestalt therapy they talk about your contact boundary. And that can contract and that can open out. And it's not a good thing to have it permanently open. Because many environments are toxic. Dubstep is an example of a toxic environment when it is crucial to close the contact boundary. But you also want to be able to open it when it is safe to open it. Because there's no powerful aesthetic experience to be had until you do.

So it's a question of what you allow to seduce you,

droid

This is what I mean! It's Impossible to believe anyone likes something we don't like! Impossible! They can't possibly be honest. They're lying to us or they're lying to themselves!

Well in this case its mainly because I thought you had good taste.

luka

Well in this case its mainly because I thought you had good taste.

I don't believe this at all! I remember you being so horrified I liked ghosts Paul Simon cover that you wouldn't speak to me for a whole year

luka

As a general rule I would say any formulation that goes like

He only likes it cos he wants to be cool

He only likes it cos he's pretentious

He only likes it cos he wants to be different

He only likes it cos he thinks it's street

He only likes it cos he thinks he's intelligent

Is really really really bad and should be avoided at all costs, even when it's true. And it's probably true fairly often.

sadmanbarty

Does Mvuent actually like Hungarian fart music? Does it move him? Will he play it at his wedding? Will he still listen to it and 50 years and be brought to tears?

Only he can answer.

luke just pointed out to me how cunty this sounds.

sorry mvuent, this genuinely was just me finding an excuse to say "hungarian fart music" again. i didn't mean to be unpleasant or call you disingenuous.

as it happens i like the hungarian fart music more than i was expecting to.

sadmanbarty

i am. i just though it'd be a funny thing to play at a wedding.

i could say the same about 'dem a fag'. it's not my actualy aesthetic barometer .

droid

I don't believe this at all! I remember you being so horrified I liked ghosts Paul Simon cover that you wouldn't speak to me for a whole year

lol, oh yeah. Terrible taste in dancehall. It all makes sense now.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
quite a bit of new computer/experimental music i won't be listening to in 50 years time. but that's ok. experiments reflect their time period and don't always need to succeed. I have a theory that once something becomes fully formed, consummate and successful thats usually a sign that it's about to enter its terminal decline phase. it's why i love 93 more than 94, not because 94 wasn't an excellent year, it absolutely was, but you could sense the productions all becoming four dimensional.