Thread: Predictions and Precognition

Default Predictions and Precognition

Anyone stumbled across any interesting examples? That Dean Koontz thing from the 80s featuring a bioweapon called 'Wuhan-400' is a fun one. Also this Norman Spinrad thing from the 60s.

First published in the 1960s, Spinrad was one of the first writers to perceive the totalitarian implications of the cradle-to-grave welfare state. But at the same time he was too organically a radical ever to be confused with a conservative. Result: Agent of Chaos! Boris Johnson thinks he wants democracy. But in the course of his adventures he discovers that democracy to him means freedom. It's a banned concept from the Millennium of Religion. Like God. He finds himself dealing with a byzantine political situation worthy of anything from the banned past. The dictatorship is the Hegemony. Opposition is provided by the aptly named agents of C.H.A.O.S. Meanwhile, the Brotherhood of Assassins plays a game that no one can fathom. Whose side are they on? Whose fool are you? Spinrad explores his philosophical theme in a manner all too rare in contemporary science fiction. The problem is that Order will always try to eliminate any random factors. By its very nature, it encourages opposition and that feeds the forces of chaos. But chaos has built in problems as well. Its victories cannot help but feed the forces of reaction, of order. The heroes in this novel ultimately opt for personal freedom. The villains try to establish a dictatorship over the very nature of reality itself. And then Spinrad throws in the discovery of aliens. A starship sets forth to meet them, the Prometheus. The Hegemony doesn't like that.

I found that Spinrad one in the Gibson piece I posted elsewhere.

Science fiction writers are made to seem prescient by confirmation bias: with time, almost any imagined future can be said to have come true. Take the pulp space opera Agent of Chaos by Norman Spinrad, in which an inept, “babbling” protagonist called Boris Johnson goes to war against a technocratic transnational government. It sounds like a satire of the present but it was written, in earnest, in 1967.

Ha, I remember stumbling across Agent of Chaos back when he was 'merely' mayor of London.
    Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

Doesn't Charlie Brooker have a bunch of these now?

PM fucks a pig. ✅
    Digitising your eternal presence. ✅
    Racist meme / Tv Character gets elected becomes dictator. ✅

And now, Dead Set, the show about contestants in a Big Brother house dealing with a global pandemic / zombie apocalypse going on outside the house.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Trillhouse For This Useful Post: