Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Teach me about....

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    The fear of being penetrated.
    Self as sphincter is a good line, and has all the psychosexual connotation of shame and discipline and hygiene in how it relates to taste

Of course the rare and exquisite pleasure is in the transgression of your self imposed parameters, when someone can hit the right angle or contextualises something, things line up... and all that you've been denying yourself flows in unrestrained and you know nothing again

2. The Following User Says Thank You to shiels For This Useful Post:

i don't think i understand this thread.

luke, if someone played you a jaco pastorious song what's the process of you not liking it? is it that you secretly could like it and that you're choosing not to so as to assert a perceived psychological dominance over the person playing it to you? is it to protect a notion of yourself as somebody who doesn't like jaco pastorious?

when i did the techno thread i didn't know that you even liked techno (let alone that it was your own personal playlist) till reynolds mentioned it after i'd done 40 of them or something. so this notion of my not getting it being something i chose to do so as to toy with you doesn't really apply (assuming i'm at all barking up the right tree).

i remember the first time i tried to get into techno would have been when i was learning all about the hardcore continuum. so my cognitive bias going in would have been "i love the hardcore continuum, techno's a crucial element in it, so i'm sure i'll love techno". the fact that i didn't like it went against my cognitive bias and my notion of myself. i thought of myself as somebody who liked dance music and it turned out i didn't.

same goes for little 16 year old, old school rap head barty. he loved wu tang and mobb deep and all that. everyone banged on about rakim being great, so i went in assuming that i was going to love it. liking rakim would have totally fit into my 16 year old 'i love old east coast rap' notion of myself. but i heard it and it didn't click. so (again assuming i'm not just being really dumb and going off on one that's totally missed the point) i can't particularly see that as being some attempt to protect a notion of my identity. isn't it just that it wasn't my cup of tea?

i'm sure i've got the wrong end of the stick, but hopefully i'm acting as useful idiot catalyst for this thread

It's an old cliche but in my own experience techno and house didn't make sense until hearing it on a big soundsystem at a bangin party with lots of chemicals. And even when I got it I didn't like to listen at home and if I did I'd have to imagine how it would sound at a party. Jungle/garage etc made alot more immediate sense to me but house/techno have had more longevity for me.

techno and house came to the UK (relatively) fully formed, so in that sense it has more longevity for us.

jungle was dead after 96 relatively speaking, apart from an underground-of-an-underground people i rate who stick to their guns.

it's the difference I have with barty and Luke's approach really, for me as wanting to understand how elements interract with each other, you could say the post-dub revolution, you can't just choose what you like out of context - well, you can, but then I feel the map is never fully revealed to you. it reminds me of those people on twitter who are still talking about rap city from 95-96 just cos they were *there.*

and an astute observer could now object to all of what I've said with aren't you accentuating the less poppier, more abstract strains to represent the culture, why is said culture important in the first place? Granted, fair point, let's not go too far in mistaking my personal preferences for a cultural dynamic.

but then, why on earth should we give credence to people who bang on about being there? it's the same shit.

because structurally speaking, most accomplished jungle follows the same template of house/techno. with hardcore this lack of structural conservatism made it eventually untenable for djs, corpse did a good thread on that last year. and if you say yeah but house/techno is gridlocked whereas jungle isn't, that's not always been the case with h/t, and drum and bass became even more gridlocked than h/t. this is why I have an issue with music which is made for clubs. dance music is eternal, club music isn't.

people liked Jungle precisely because it was quite musical, despite chatting up how amusical the darker tunes were relative to the intelligent tunes they couldn't see why they had to get off at tech step (bliss told me about how david toop wrote a rejoinder to him about this very subject.) because the way the breakbeats drop relative to the sub bass in jungle is like dropping the bomb in 60s hardbop like Art Blakey. in that regard some tribal house and german techno is far more anti-musical than jungle, just squealing acid lines or grinding noise.

I dunno for me jungle is a form of tactile poetry, and that's how I can square it with my love of techno/electro.

but if i was like oh this da intalex tune reminds me of my first family visit to the beach at marmaris, fucking hell that's just so miserable isn't it? you just become enslaved to the past, to someone elses system.

It's like the people who say they can't read Wuthering Heights or whatever, because it reminds them of breaking up with their ex. like fuck that, I'm not about that, I'm about constant physicality. you clearly liked wuthering heights to lay claim to some kind of authenticity then. stop being rarsclaat.
    Last edited by thirdform; 27-03-2020 at 10:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

There's a pleasure in denying someone else the pleasure of letting you in on a pleasure. I think Shiels did a thread on that topic or something like it.
    Here it is

https://www.dissensus.com/showthread...highlight=Mate

Barty this isn't a thread solely about you not liking techno music! The two immediate prompts were catalog feeling some weird need to slag off my lovely poems while at the same time saying "but I want to understand" (not that I think that was an act of bad faith, exactly, more some weird psychological mechanism I recognise in myself too) and Woebot talking about the futility of trying to get someone else into something. (Can you remember what thread that was?
    Last edited by luka; 27-03-2020 at 10:46 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Obviously there is a tension here, one I've never been able to adequately resolve , between, I guess, the notion of a core self, our 'true being' the one that does not and will never like jaco pastorious, and the notion of self as sphincter, which clenches the orifice to resist the experience.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

From my own experience there is a danger in assuming your first 'instinctive' reaction to something is reflective of some inner truth or whatever. One of the reasons it is so important to smoke a lot of weed as a teenager while your brain is still developing is that it allows you, as a listener, to move around the sonic object, unweave the layers, hear different aspects of it in turn, isolate drum or bass or voice, uncover emotional resonances, discover patterns, in short, to discover how inadequate our everyday perceptions are in regard to experience itself.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

From my own experience there is a danger in assuming your first 'instinctive' reaction to something is reflective of some inner truth or whatever. One of the reasons it is so important to smoke a lot of weed as a teenager while your brain is still developing is that it allows you, as a listener, to move around the sonic object, unweave the layers, hear different aspects of it in turn, isolate drum or bass or voice, uncover emotional resonances, discover patterns, in short, to discover how inadequate our everyday perceptions are in regard to experience itself.
    the minimal house/dub reggae convergence.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

16. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post: