The towering geniuses

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Craner rightly rejected my nomination of Patrice Rushen. So who actually qualifies?

We can turn this into a discussion about genius vs scenius or whatever, too.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
You misspoke and meant RZA.

I was going to argue that Patrice, while not the TOWERING GENIUS I proclaimed her as, still qualified for the upper echelons of achievement by having 3/4 absolute classics to her name. Because I think most musicians don't even get ONE. Is that true though? Maybe there are plenty of musicians who recorded dozens of them.

linebaugh

You misspoke and meant RZA.

I was going to argue that Patrice, while not the TOWERING GENIUS I proclaimed her as, still qualified for the upper echelons of achievement by having 3/4 absolute classics to her name. Because I think most musicians don't even get ONE. Is that true though? Maybe there are plenty of musicians who recorded dozens of them.
What do you consider the Patrice classics?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
No, Patrice is great. I'm not denying that.

yes you are.

You are insufficiently pro-black, Oliver!

But imperialism does not sleep soundly. The alarmed invocations of the “Russian danger”, the novelizations of “Russian infiltration” in the Middle East and Maghreb serve to hide the real fear. What the European bourgeoisies, and with them U.S. imperialism, really fear is the Arab unification movement making real progress. Think of the enormous consequences that the formation of an Arab unitary state would entail? It would mark the end of colonialist domination in the whole of Africa, not just in Arab Africa, but also in the rest of the continent inhabited by peoples of the black race, riddled with profound tremors of revolt. The myths that the ruling class fabricates for itself aim to inculcate in the minds of the oppressed classes the prejudice of the pointlessness of struggling against the existing order. Well, who can measure the gigantic revolutionary impact that the collapse of the myth of the superiority of the white race will have?
Fragmented, divided by ignoble dynastic issues, devoured alive by the bloodsucking foreign capitalist monopolies who willingly cede large slices of the oil profits, entangled in the deadly military alliances of imperialism, the Arab states not only instill no fear in the various imperialisms but serve as pawns in their diabolical game. But what if the Arabs, having overcome their suicidal disunity, succeeded in establishing a nation-state embracing all of the African and Asian territories inhabited by the Arab peoples? Would we have only the awakening of the whole of Africa? No, we would achieve, all of us who militate in the field of communist revolution, much more. We would get to witness the final, irrevocable death sentence of old Europe, of this rotten, corrupt, deadly bourgeois Europe, tainted with reaction and more or less disguised fascism, which for forty years has been the inexhaustible hotbed of imperialist war and counterrevolution.
Therefore, we are for the Arab national revolution. Therefore, we are against the rulers of Arab states who either openly pursue separatist and reactionary aims (the Middle Eastern monarchies) or aim for superficial reformism and collaboration with the West (Bourguiba, Muhammad V). And neither can we, as the Moscow communists do, unconditionally support Nasser’s pan-Arab movement, because there is too much reactionary ballast, despite the vain attempts of clever demagogic trickery to disguise it. The nation-state will not be founded by them. Each one of them likes to pose as a champion of Islam. But their Islamism is to that of Muhammad’s comrades, as the Christianity of the Catholics is to that of the catacomb agitators.