jenks

thread death
White Noise is funny and has much flair. It is interesting/odd that DeLillo becomes this lightening conductor for ire when he explores many of the areas po-mo readers like. Libra, Mao II, are both brilliant and troubling works. I guess there is a line that some felt he crossed with Underworld - too big, too ambitious, too chippy, who is he to try and explain the last fifty years in a sprawling American epic with baseball as a metaphor? Get back in your box Don!
I liked it.
Recently Dissensus has been full of sneering as if nothing is good enough, everything has been chopped down to size. As if nothing good has been created except some niche genre only you know. The cynicism does no one any good.
This isn’t really a defence of Don - like him/don’t like him but do like something and fucking celebrate it - stop being so fucking negative. It’s too easy and far too tiring. (Sorry last night I can go to the pub for a month and I’m tired.)

version

Cosmopolis is my favourite DeLillo, although I like everything I've read of his - White Noise, Libra, Mao II, Cosmopolis.

version

Someone got me to read a section about one of the atomic tests from Underworld a few weeks ago and I thought it was great.

White Noise is funny and has much flair. It is interesting/odd that DeLillo becomes this lightening conductor for ire when he explores many of the areas po-mo readers like. Libra, Mao II, are both brilliant and troubling works. I guess there is a line that some felt he crossed with Underworld - too big, too ambitious, too chippy, who is he to try and explain the last fifty years in a sprawling American epic with baseball as a metaphor? Get back in your box Don!
I liked it.
Recently Dissensus has been full of sneering as if nothing is good enough, everything has been chopped down to size. As if nothing good has been created except some niche genre only you know. The cynicism does no one any good.
This isn’t really a defence of Don - like him/don’t like him but do like something and fucking celebrate it - stop being so fucking negative. It’s too easy and far too tiring. (Sorry last night I can go to the pub for a month and I’m tired.)

I picked up the silence because it sounded like an interesting premise. I didn't come here to bury Don, I came to praise him, but he let himself down badly, the book stinks.

@IdleRich I'm also reading the wanting seed. That's wild, I think I'll stick with it. I saw Burgess give a talk once, can't have been long before he died, he was like a runaway train of Serbian swears and literary bluster.

And tonight I cracked open The Art of Not Being Governed: An Anarchist History of Upland Southeast Asia
Which is promising, anyone read it?

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
I read Wanting Seed cos - weirdly (or uncharacteristically at least) - I found it on my grandparents' book shelf as a child.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
From Master and Commander:

"There's a flocci-naucinihili-pilification of all other aspects of existence that angers me."

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
‘My heart bleeds for you. I have never yet known a man admit that he was either rich or asleep: perhaps the poor man and the wakeful man have some great moral advantage.'

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I finished Master and Commander last night. Overall a good read and very well written (although you'd have to have the patience to learn a shitload of nautical terms to really understand what's going on in the battle scenes) but I assume it's not as good the other ones because it was the first and it does seem to meander at points and ends pretty lamely, too.

The film uses quite a lot of the first book but presumably splices it with other books in the series.

I was surprised to learn in the afterword that Patrick O'Brian knew Picasso and wrote what Kenneth Clark considered to be the best biography of Picasso.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I might do eventually. The second book is apparently largely set on land, and concerns romantic relationships and a duel between Jack/Stephen.

Apparently PO'Brian was a big Jane Austen fan so in the second one he's somewhat emulating Austen.

OTOH in a list I found online of the best Aubrey/Maturin books the second book came out top of the list.