so i've finally heard that digital mystiks remix of richie spice...

matt b

Indexing all opinion
its at 1hr 21mins of yesterdays breezeblock show- listen again on bbc website.

have you heard the mark 1 / sizzla track dave? a right grower.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
As others have pointed out, the richie spice remix that's really big isn't on the soul jazz comp, it's on the Kode 9 FWD>> podcast here: http://www.ilovefwd.com/podcasts/kode-9-150606.mp3

It comes in at 37m:20s.

What makes its impact quite so special is the arrangment: you get all the key elements: bass, drums, vocal, instrument arrangements - all dropping at the same time.

DMZ'z "Bury the Bwoy" also comes in at 45m, worth a check for it's strange rhythms, esp the odd kicks.

nomos

Administrator
Actually, I agree with you on "Earth a Run Red" Dave. Mystikz have much more exciting tunes on dub. The flip of that 12" - "Walkin with Jah" - is quite good.

(By the way, we've been trying to figure out what you look like in the "Mugshots" thread in Misc.)

Martin - in the Kode 9 podcast, what's the older track ("puff up dem chest") at about 13:00? It's also on a Groovetech mix from 2002.

Last edited:

Keith P

draw for the drumstick
Earth a run red is actually one of my least favorite DMZ tunes. Someone said something about the flip, it moves far better IMO.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I'm going to agree that people should perhaps be more selective in their criticism of dubstep.

I prefer grime, but recently dubstep has started to appeal to me. I agree with most criticisms of the genre right now, but I can promise anybody who hasn't looked into it thoroughly that the good parts about it are pretty damn good, and you certainly don't have to "meditate on bass weight" to understand it.

Grime and dubstep both have their bad points but I feel that what makes constructive talk about both genres is discussion of the things that make each genre good over general sweeping criticisms of the entire genre.

In Grime's defence, I feel we suffer this shoddy criticism far more than the dubstep mandem do.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
its at 1hr 21mins of yesterdays breezeblock show- listen again on bbc website.
What's the tune immediately after that? Finger somewhat off the pulse, I've been wondering what it is since Loefah dropped it in Nottingham...

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
What's the tune immediately after that? Finger somewhat off the pulse, I've been wondering what it is since Loefah dropped it in Nottingham...

That'll be Skream - Tapped. Vocal version feat. JME to be on his album.

Earth A Run Red is like an early template for something that Coki has been refining ever since. I still like it.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I think 'Marijuana' needs to be heard in the context of other current dubstep - it is a bit of a dirge, and that's partly what makes it stand out. And it is heavy, and it rocks and other tautological justifications.

Like gek-opel and others have said, there are many reasons to love dubstep right now. I'd just like to say that purely subjectively I have had as much (maybe more) unqualified fun at dubstep events this year than at any event, ever really. And I have been to some very, very good clubs, gigs, raves and parties over the last 20 years or so.

Hype!

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Earth a run Red is a bit boring, I can't quite see why its been picked out for "anthem" status by certain people... maybe the vocal sample? But pretty much the only thing I like about it is how murky the whole thing is, almost lo-fi, (and thereby the diametric opposite of all that modern Jungle shiny over-compressed production values bollocks) but I think DMZ have done that kind of thing better elsewhere...

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Earth a run Red is a bit boring, I can't quite see why its been picked out for "anthem" status by certain people...

is hasn't, dave got the wrong end of the stick. it's the 'marajuana' refix that's the anthem. 'earth a run red' barely got played outside of mala's sets.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Stelfox - we get the picture, you don't like dubstep. This post says nothing you haven't said 20 times before on here.

'earth a run red' barely got played outside of mala's sets.

Yeah it did, by Skream, Chef, Kode 9, N-Type... it's really old and it's still being battered. It's a massive track, loved by a lot of people :)

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Stelfox - we get the picture, you don't like dubstep. This post says nothing you haven't said 20 times before on here.

Yeah it did, by Skream, Chef, Kode 9, N-Type... it's really old and it's still being battered. It's a massive track, loved by a lot of people :)

massive? it's no bigger than other DMZ cuts. in fact i'd say it was played much less than most of their beats. I dispute "battered" totally.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
is hasn't, dave got the wrong end of the stick. it's the 'marajuana' refix that's the anthem. 'earth a run red' barely got played outside of mala's sets.

yeah, i totally got the wrong end of the stick and maybe i should keep up with things a little better. i'm really glad that earth a run red isn't the record everyone is going crazy about, because as far as i'm concerned that remix pretty much sucks all the blood out of one of my favourite tunes of the past few years. i've now listened to the kode 9 podcast and checked out the marijuana refix, and it's a lot, lot better. i'm still not incredibly keen on it but there's certainly a lot more to get excited about and i can imagine it being decent enough, played loud on a good system, with all the right elements in place. still, it's just not my thing.

luka

there's only about 10 people that have this on CD right now, so if you do have a proper recording of it, it needs to have come from coki directly, so i'm sceptical you even have the right mix.

anyway i'm with paul, i'm getting a little tired of dave's posts. if you dont like dubstep cant you use your writing skills in a positive way elsewhere?

Love the slagging off dubstep threads