Page 43 of 56 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: Where should I eat in London?

"Could I get some lo-sodium soy sauce on the side"

"I'm afraid we don't do that madam"

"I had it last time I was here"

"I'm afraid we don't do that, madam"

"Well, I had it last time. And don't tell me what I did or didn't have"

Shocking. They probably just gave her normal soy sauce last time and told her it was lo-sodium to shut her up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    All this talk of fries/chips reminds me of something I've been meaning to get off my chest for some time:

Potato wedges.

Can Britain please get over its collective hard-on for potato wedges? Are they meant to be "chips for grown-ups" or something? They have their place but let's face it, they're not a patch on proper, ordinary chips. (Or, if you're having steak, really good, thin, proper French fries.)
    homemade wedges are much easier to make though

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    always do these at home for our version of fish and chips, as my wife doesn't do deep frying at home. pretty easy to roast them, although sometimes they can turn out soggy from too much oil (but you need some oil on the roasting tray so they don't stick).

i'm suddenly hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    True, proper chips are basically impossible without a deep-fat fryer.

I may have one installed in my hacienda once I'm a millionaire.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 13-05-2013 at 04:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs

Does anyone have any recommendations for American style BBQ in London? I've been looking at this article and salivating. Can anyone vouch for the recommendations?
    http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/r...q-7737595.html

Bodean's is really good, it's off Oxford Street opposite Phonica Records

Went to Dishoom in Seven Dials today. It was good. Chi-chi uptown Indian rather than homestyle zone 3 Indian, but very well done. The bhel puri could mix it with the best of them.

Over the last couple of years most of the meals out I've had have been in Oxford rather than London, so this observation might not apply so much to the capital, but anyway: I'd say the majority of really good restaurant meals I've eaten lately have been in pubs, rather than restaurants per se. In fact so many pubs offer great food these days that the 'gastropub' seems to be rapidly becoming redundant as a concept. Even the word has a distinctly 2002 ring to it.

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations for American style BBQ in London? I've been looking at this article and salivating. Can anyone vouch for the recommendations?
    http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/r...q-7737595.html
    I've had stuff from Pitt Cue truck which was pretty gorgeous but I think turning up to their place will involve a long wait which could be annoying.

Dukes in Haggerston is nice and you can book - also it's a big beer place with few dozen options, towards the American craft beer side. Beavertown is their sister brewery, now based in Hackney Wick but previously downstairs from Duke's, their 8 ball rye IPA is lovely!

I've read very mixed reviews of Red Dog.

Went to a nice Sichuan place Top Taste last night on Roman Rd - looks pretty rubbish from the outside but good inside...

http://meiweifood.wordpress.com/2013...liao-wei-feng/

Quote Originally Posted by viktorvaughn View Post
    I've had stuff from Pitt Cue truck which was pretty gorgeous but I think turning up to their place will involve a long wait which could be annoying.

Dukes in Haggerston is nice and you can book - also it's a big beer place with few dozen options, towards the American craft beer side. Beavertown is their sister brewery, now based in Hackney Wick but previously downstairs from Duke's, their 8 ball rye IPA is lovely!

I've read very mixed reviews of Red Dog.
    Went to Meat Market in Covent Garden a couple of weeks ago and had one of their Dead Hippy burgers, which was very good, but it was their chilli fries that were superb.

Pitt Cue is worth a visit - if there's a queue (there wasn't when I went on a Saturday night this time last year) the White Horse pub is just opposite.

anyone been to meat liquor?

Quote Originally Posted by benjybars View Post
    anyone been to meat liquor?
    I've not been to that one but I have been to Meat Mission in Hoxton. I think I'm more in the it's-just-a-burger camp really - was nice but just tasted like a decent, quite fatty home made burger.

A nice week time lunch if you work round Shoreditch can be had at The Three Crowns, the new pub just of City Rd north of the roundabout. It's not cheap (2 course for 15, 3 for 18) but I've been twice and it's not messing around - whole lemon sole or amazing whole mackerel vigorously grilled with nice fried potatoes and stuff like smoked trout salad, or cold roast pork with celeriac remoulade for starters. Generous portions of meat and fish. Deffo recommend for a treat.

http://the3crowns.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    always do these at home for our version of fish and chips, as my wife doesn't do deep frying at home. pretty easy to roast them, although sometimes they can turn out soggy from too much oil (but you need some oil on the roasting tray so they don't stick).

i'm suddenly hungry.
    yeah have to use a shallow metal tray and spread them out

Paprika and chili powder also essential.