luka

don't buy the "rewind" selector argument - jungle at raves and clubs was rarely (never?) interrupted by rewinds.

Well, pick a random set on YouTube and listen for five minutes to test the hypothesis I guess?

PiLhead

if that's the alpha, then this is.... probably the iota or kappa

the rap bit - "call me a star, watch me shine" - where's that from then?

PiLhead

not the omega but possibly the phi or the psi i.e. getting really near the end of any rootical flava in d&B (before its major resurgence in UKG)

PiLhead

It's ours it's not sped up nuffink

well yeah i agree (if i get what you're saying)

it's not sped up hip hop, not in any simple way at least

it uses some things hip hop used (used to use, in fact) - breakbeats - but in quite a radically different way, for rather different purposes

that's why it wasn't accepted by the American hip hop audience - why they didn't even recognise it as related to them

luka

Same technology Same samples. Different result cps filtered thru different nervous system different frame

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
the intro sounds like an ed rush and optical tune circa 2000

your favourite!

has sped up hiphop ever actually been attempted? like chopped n screwed for benzedrine addicts.

interesting topic actually, genres that speed up. Is it a sign of whiteification? I'm thinking specifically of techno and drum n bayyyse

Woebot

Roni Size: "For me, the story of Jungle starts with Smith & Mighty and a record called Dance To The Drum & Bass (actually a bit of research turned up the track was called Killa, "Dance to the Drum n Bass" is the sample in the tune) and then I think someone like Ray Keith got hold of this record and played it at the wrong speed and that’s when people started to hear this record."

http://www.theransomnote.co.uk/music/gone-rave/gone-to-a-rave-38-roni-size-and-the-rise-of-bristol/

completely coincidentally that one is on my mix

Woebot

ho ho - this interview is the gift that keeps on giving:

"DO YOU REMEMBER WHAT KIND OF BREAK IT WAS? WAS IT AN AMEN?
It was an Amen.

IT HAD TO BE DIDN’T IT? OF COURSE IT WAS AN AMEN.
Yeah. Ray had taken a sample from a Smith & Mighty tune and made it his own. But it all happened by accident and it’s the same story with myself. Gilles Peterson took a record of mine called It's A Jazz Thing and played it at the wrong speed but it still worked. "

Woebot

"WAS THERE MUCH OF A REGGAE INFLUENCE AT THE TIME AS WELL?
Always. It’s not just reggae it’s the sound system culture. "

Well - there you go. That's something for the detractors. He doesn't have much to say about Reggae beyond that though. Indeed anything at all. It seems to be all about Hip-Hop and R'n'B.

Ok I reckon that's enough on this. I would say (heh heh - in closing) that the Reggae influence is hugely overstated. Though in fact reading through the excellent Gone To Rave interviews one thing that does crop up a lot is 2 Tone. Now THAT makes a lot of sense.

However, however, I would suspect that a big proportion of that would be bands like Madness and Bad Manners - real nutty, loony neo-ska that appealed to us (and me) as little kids. Certainly everyone will be saying - me I was into The Specials - cos they're perceived as being cool. Them too certainly but... That's the big problem with all this though - everyone wants to pretend they were into Studio One and King Tubby and it's such a load of revisionist bullshit. People are trapped in this artificial Reggae narrative.

Not enough people grasp what i'd describe as the lead-to-gold narrative. That Hardcore and Jungle were made of "nasty" "inferior" things like Hardcore UK Rap - it was actually just called Hardcore - and 2 Tone. People want to be trendy. Jungle has been scripted teleologically to include things that didn't have a huge amount to do with its genesis. I guess it's a matter of personal taste that the resulting post-95 'nuum which makes these claims doesn't really appeal to me.

Anyway clearly its a territorial faux pas I've made. Have been surprised to have touched such a raw nerve! Yeah and it's kind of unseemly to be any more preoccupied with the subject. Happy Christmas y'all.

droid

lol. Yeah, deeply disingenuous. Paroxysms of mental gymnastics, bizarre social commentary and dubious historical revisionism in order to defend a (pretty much) indefensible position.

Entertaining though, and must, at this stage be acknowledged as some very deft trolling.

Last edited: