Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by muser View Post
    Not like we haven't got a pretty grim fairly recent history, heads on spikes, people being drawn and quartered etc..
    Oh of course, that goes without saying. And yes we've got kids stabbing each other over drug deals but nothing that's within a million miles of what goes on in Mexico (not that you were saying that).
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Trump to designate Mexican drug cartels as terrorists

The US will legally designate Mexican drug cartels as terrorist groups, President Donald Trump says. The move would enable a wider scope of US action. Mr Trump also said he had told Mexico the US was ready to "go in and clear out" the cartels.

In response Mexico's foreign minister said his country would not allow any "violation of national sovereignty".

Earlier this month Mr Trump vowed to "wage war on the drug cartels" after a deadly attack on US citizens in Mexico.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50568812
    Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    I was more or less pissing cum.

It's looking as though we might start seeing drone strikes in Mexico.

Anyone have any thoughts on stretching the definition of terrorism in order to include the cartels?

A world in which America grants itself the right to kill anyone in the world anywhere at any time and not just muslims in muslim countries.

Might other states unilaterally grant themselves the same leeway?

I'm trying to work out what the definition is if the cartels now fall under it. Obviously they've threatened, kidnapped and killed public officials, but they aren't a political organisation with specific political aims.

I thought terrorism was politically or ideologically motivated, by definition?

I get that the Mexican cartels are unbelievably rich and well organised, to the point of effectively forming armies in their own right, but they're still 'just' crime gangs, which have existed since forever. I bet there were cartels and Mafia-type gangs in Republican Rome.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Yeah, exactly. Are gangs now terrorist organisations? Are terrorists now just gangs?

I guess they could stretch the definition in this case exclusively, but I think once the argument's been made, the language redefined, there's a good chance it becomes the norm. They don't tend to cede power once they attain it; the Patriot Act was more or less completely renewed this year.

I guess narco-terrorism is a thing, but that's still the use of money derived from the drug trade to further political aims. So the gangsterism is, at least in theory, a means and not an end.

AFAIK the term is applied mainly in South America, too - dunno if Mexico has 'narco-terrorism' as such.