Sleeves of the Decade

craner

Beast of Burden
If those are the best, it's been a depressing decade for sleeve art. Is this to do with the decline of vinyl?

There must be better ones...

grizzleb

The ones that stick in my head, and match with the music the most...
751-creature-comforts.jpg

107_112.jpg

R-26453-1174334402.jpeg

mf-doom-madvillain-cover.jpg

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
a game me a a friend play is going into rough trade and looking for sleeves featuring really prominent triangles/pyramids on them, as this seems to have been a massive design cop out of the last year, a combination of the mystical "new rave" fallout and resurgence of eighties disco/electro styles, as well as loads of american bands referencing the dollar bill uncapped pyramid illuminati symbol

LITTLE_BOOTS_FILM_GRAPHIC_A.jpg

garywar12inch

zomby.jpeg

youll have to trust me theirs loads of others, its easier when your browsing a shop rather then finding them on the net.

straight

wings cru
Im hella guilty of the triangle thing as a designer. It makes dealing with indie/electro jetsam quick and painless though

stephenk

a game me a a friend play is going into rough trade and looking for sleeves featuring really prominent triangles/pyramids on them

this is definitely true
i like the actress one though, because instead of crazy patterns/eyes/grids/whatever (giant pyramid as veiled reference to god) it's a sort of unpleasant rural house in b/w...maybe, "your all consuming rave-orb triangle is nothing but soulsucking plainness"
like the music, it isn't really a beacon of daft punk-style mass hope

straight

wings cru
some of my favourites of the decade have been from stephen o'malley, the sunn o))) albums always look quite dull in pictures but they are so well printed and finished. The orange and silver inks on white 1 & 2 really took me aback when I got them in the post

bruno

est malade
these are for you, oliver. music aside this is very appropriate for the time, very excessive.

R0050311022655-CS117136-02A-BIG.png

R5-125500-1227060307.png

R5-123369-1227060794.png

R5-146498-1219061537.png

R5-28931-1215151217.png

bruno

est malade
i like the tempa label artwork for graphic coherence, this is one of the best examples. the ideal is to see these in real life, the beautifully printed booklets, transparent highlights, the design is really distinctive in my opinion.

20060726234439.png

nomos

Administrator
and that aesthetic that spans the whole stable of ammunition imprints (shelflife, tempa, road, soulja, vehicle, sotf) - not just the label artwork but the branded sleeves too. in part, it links back to the clean, vector-based design that was so widespread in the 90s. i like it so much more than that illustrator-spew thing that took over a few years ago.