Circle/Yellow/Dubbage

Benny Bunter

If you believe in the concept of the 'nuum then it's quite apparent (from my perspective) that the rap scene is the real next step. Ex-grime MCs and up and coming kids, ex & current grime and funky producers, it's the music of choice for the youth coming up and the "older" generations don't like it.

It's the real progression.

Its not a clubbing scene though is it. Then again I suppose grime wasn't really either so who knows, you could be on to something there. I liked quite a few of the tunes on that comp you made a while ago and it would be nice to see it develop into something more distinctive. Is there any clubs that play this sort of stuff or is it purely a road thing?

And what ex grime/funky producers are on to it?

benjybars

village elder.
Its not a clubbing scene though is it. Then again I suppose grime wasn't really either so who knows, you could be on to something there. I liked quite a few of the tunes on that comp you made a while ago and it would be nice to see it develop into something more distinctive. Is there any clubs that play this sort of stuff or is it purely a road thing?

And what ex grime/funky producers are on to it?

grime most definitely was a clubbing scene.

Benny Bunter

^^^yeah yeah, i knew about eskimo dance etc. I suppose I meant clubby music in a more traditional sense rather than the 'blokes jumping up and down doing gunfingers with rewinds every 30 seconds' sense ;)

hint

party record with a siren
^^^yeah yeah, i knew about eskimo dance etc. I suppose I meant clubby music in a more traditional sense rather than the 'blokes jumping up and down doing gunfingers with rewinds every 30 seconds' sense ;)

Yeah - isn't a bunch of people facing a performer on a stage and moshing a gigging scene?

alex

Do not read this.
yea, going grime raving was fucking deadout, especially eski dance at rex, pointless.

edit i meant young man standing

i'm staying on the fence for a minute with the continuum chat, but there a section at the end of kismet's adults only set from the end of last year, starting with black coffee's (still beautiful) superman, into dubbage, then some flying high hat business and it truly does sound like the future. lr groove's (gargantuan) the groove fits in here too, also jook 10 (do it right) / and (some) sunday roast (underground / deeper, or whatever it's called)
i'm too young for africa centre and the fridge, but it puts my in mind of soul 2 soul days - informed, seerious ravers an ting
deep house? yeah kinda (for now), but the issue of circle mans building their own beats is crucial - just as day dot funky dj's drew for / were inspired by (us) funky house before grime got on it - initially the pool's shallow. As has been mentioned an imperitive building block for scene is ownership, which in turn is realised by input.
and the whole 'left for dead' talk is bollocks. searching for new doesn't come wholly at the expense of what came before it, not that anyone actually saying that anyway..

mms

sometimes
i'm staying on the fence for a minute with the continuum chat, but there a section at the end of kismet's adults only set from the end of last year, starting with black coffee's (still beautiful) superman, into dubbage, then some flying high hat business and it truly does sound like the future. lr groove's (gargantuan) the groove fits in here too, also jook 10 (do it right) / and (some) sunday roast (underground / deeper, or whatever it's called)
i'm too young for africa centre and the fridge, but it puts my in mind of soul 2 soul days - informed, seerious ravers an ting
deep house? yeah kinda (for now), but the issue of circle mans building their own beats is crucial - just as day dot funky dj's drew for / were inspired by (us) funky house before grime got on it - initially the pool's shallow. As has been mentioned an imperitive building block for scene is ownership, which in turn is realised by input.
and the whole 'left for dead' talk is bollocks. searching for new doesn't come wholly at the expense of what came before it, not that anyone actually saying that anyway..

soul 2 soul etc was rare groove and that just slighly before house or in opposition to raving when house came in - but yeah similar vibes - see uk garage also.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Finally got round to listening to this A Plus set @ Yellow. Great stuff, love all the uplifting vocal tunes mixed in with the harder beats. Nothing that 'new' about it to my ears but what the fuck... I would like to see this set live, wearing high heels and lipstick, drinking white wine and never farting.

Last edited:
lol, i reckon luka was right about your wit corpsey.
you might also want to check the dubplate wonder set from havana bar that bare bones put up in the funky thread - soulful/vocal for the first 45 or so, then a bit 'arder (not too hard tho, being napa an all) for the remaining half hour or so, until it abruptly cuts out (on my copy at least)
kismet's dubbage vol1 (from last year again..) is also a good un, holla if you want links

actually that adults only mix is from march (which makes sense, as there's a crossover in content with dubplate wonder's napa set).
i'm waiting on audio from kismet at sef kombo's rave up west last week. maybe people will view things a bit differently once they've heard it, or maybe it's just that the vast majority of this stuff is new to me, but the sound is fresh to my ears and i'm enjoying it.

Webstarr

lol, i reckon luka was right about your wit corpsey.
you might also want to check the dubplate wonder set from havana bar that bare bones put up in the funky thread - soulful/vocal for the first 45 or so, then a bit 'arder (not too hard tho, being napa an all) for the remaining half hour or so, until it abruptly cuts out (on my copy at least)
kismet's dubbage vol1 (from last year again..) is also a good un, holla if you want links

can you bringthat kismet set please

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
^ Downloading now Mat. Thanks for all the links, I admire your enthusiasm. Had a listen to the Kismet Dubbage Files Vol 1 last night, quite liked it. It seemed less rhythmically exciting than the A Plus set and was more 4x4 than most stuff I would usually listen to, but in a way this was a nice change, had a nice sort of smooth groove going through it.
Really the only thing that puts me off with this stuff is the way they promote themselves (Tippa especially, twat): i.e slagging off other sounds and presenting themselves as miles ahead of everyone, when they're clearly not. Once I put all that next-level rhetoric out of mind I can enjoy it as it is.