Actress / Nail the cross

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
To clarify. Those aren't my words. That's RDJ talking on a forum a few years ago. I pasted it in because I thought it was pertinent to this topic.
Yeah, I know, but it's a great example of the sort of irrelevant bollocks that winds me up...

That and the atmosphere of sanctity with which people talk about 'all analogue' sets or whatever, as if using exclusively analogue synths makes you the last outpost of moral rectitude in a corrupt world, rather than just someone with spare cash who likes to have a few toys to play with.

Last edited:

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
edit: started typing this before bandshell had replied, so...

I mean, it's one thing to think a tune sounds good because of some specific sonic characteristics of the sounds that are there, but surely no-one thinks a tune sounds good because the kick drum sounds slightly different from the kick drum on a different drum machine that wasn't used on the track, or because the synth sounds slightly different from how it sounded an hour before the track was recorded.

no, i don't think anyone does, i'm not sure but maybe the point about the circuitry was just that the idiosyncrasies make things a little less sterile. the length of the post seems to make it sound more important/relevant than it actually is. it's an interesting thing but certainly doesn't make that much of a difference in the end. certainly not to the consumer. a skilful/patient person can make any gear sound good.

The fact that something's hard to model (and tbh, I'm not even sure how up to date RDJ is on modern circuit modelling software) is only relevant if it's desirable in the first place. Surely the fact that a synth drifts out of tune depending on the effect of temperature on the components rather than according to a pseudorandom algorithm is only relevant if I'm planning to do pitch bends with a hairdryer?

shit going out of tune is not desirable for the majority imo. maybe on a barely perceivable level, which may give it a slightly fatter sound, but nah.. it's always going to sound off once you're past so many cents. obviously with a multi oscillator synth it pays to detune your oscillators if you want things to sound fatter, but for the most part, if your instruments are out of tune with each other it's going to sound jarring. on the other hand people like RDJ use this to good effect when they want to sound spooky.

(And why does this uniqueness suddenly become a bad thing when it's applied to soundcards?)

not sure if this matters either.

This seems to be the key, tbh. (And it's also why I'm kind of sceptical about 'real analogue synth modules' that need a PC to run the patch editor...)

not sure if there are many analog synths that "need" a pc editor out there. there are many digital ones and a decent amount of digitally controlled analogs that benefit from having one, though. because unlike the majority of analog synths, a lot of them have very limited interfaces in terms of buttons and knobs to grab hold of. so if you get something like soundquest/max4live running, then you can assign your own tactile midi controller to their functions and suddenly you have the best of both worlds.

there are a lot of people out there that believe the sound of hardware, digi or analog has something richer, more 3D to give. part of it is the idiosyncrasies, part of it is the depth of sound etc etc. i know for sure that no software out there at this point can reach the thickness of my ATC 1 when it comes to bass. There are some good software synths out there that can sound amazing, but for the kind of bass that you feel as much as hear, i dunno. maybe when you have the money to send your purely software made track to a great engineer/mastering company, or even have the skills to mix it yourself, then you could maybe get it sounding just as good. but that's where one of the main differences lies between the two for me. it's the instant response, having that sound in your bedroom from the get go. it's inspiring.

the same with tweaking knobs as opposed to a mouse. just getting away from the computer is a big thing imo.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
no, i don't think anyone does, i'm not sure but maybe the point about the circuitry was just that the idiosyncrasies make things a little less sterile.
How, though? All that's saying is that the idiosyncrasies mean that two apparently identical synths don't actually sound identical. It's not really saying anything about what either of those synths actually sounds like...

shit going out of tune is not desirable for the majority imo. maybe on a barely perceivable level, which may give it a slightly fatter sound, but nah.. it's always going to sound off once you're past so many cents. obviously with a multi oscillator synth it pays to detune your oscillators if you want things to sound fatter, but for the most part, if your instruments are out of tune with each other it's going to sound jarring. on the other hand people like RDJ use this to good effect when they want to sound spooky.
Yeah, again what's weird is that people talk about it as if oscillator detune coming from analogue drift gives the sound 'character' but just detuning your oscillators or using a bit of digital randomness doesn't...

It's kind of different in an experimental setting, I suppose, where you're really working with subtle variations in the sound of one synth over an extended period...

not sure if there are many analog synths that "need" a pc editor out there. there are many digital ones and a decent amount of digitally controlled analogs that benefit from having one, though. because unlike the majority of analog synths, a lot of them have very limited interfaces in terms of buttons and knobs to grab hold of. so if you get something like soundquest/max4live running, then you can assign your own tactile midi controller to their functions and suddenly you have the best of both worlds.
I'm really talking about the recent Dave Smith boxes and things like that rather than vintage stuff. Things that have a very limited number of knobs and a software patch editor. If I spent money on an analogue synth (often thought about it, never quite been able to justify) I'd really want to get away from the computer entirely....

there are a lot of people out there that believe the sound of hardware, digi or analog has something richer, more 3D to give
Yeah, but a lot of people believe you can cure cancer with crystals.

part of it is the depth of sound etc etc.
This is kind of the interesting bit isn't it...
i know for sure that no software out there at this point can reach the thickness of my ATC 1 when it comes to bass. There are some good software synths out there that can sound amazing, but for the kind of bass that you feel as much as hear,
That's kind of interesting - I'd like to hear examples of what you mean by that. Normally what you 'feel as much as hear' is the very bottom end, which is one of the things that's trivial to get in software (ie a low pitch sine wave).

I dunno, maybe it's the mastering but I'd say that a lot of classic dubstep is all software and is fairly solid in the bass department...

the same with tweaking knobs as opposed to a mouse. just getting away from the computer is a big thing imo.
Yeah totally. In some cases even changing your whole approach to making sounds - losing the patch recall of software seems like it'd have a fairly fundamental impact on how you work...

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
How, though? All that's saying is that the idiosyncrasies mean that two apparently identical synths don't actually sound identical. It's not really saying anything about what either of those synths actually sounds like...

actually what i mean about idiosyncrasies is definitely about the sound of an individual synth. talking about analogs for a moment, the fact that 2 of the same model sound different proves that the idiosyncrasies exist. but the fact that the 2 are different is not why you should care, if you should at all. why it's interesting to me is that intangible fuzziness, for want of better word. when a software synth calculates a sound, it's pretty much linear. even when you add randomising algos in there. compared to a physical piece of machinery which is susceptible to the elements and often just how it's feeling that particular day. this doesn't make for better music or a better musician, it just feels different. have you ever played a hardware synth? there's something quite magic about tweaking a knob that says cutoff on it and feeling the sound precisely react to your movements. feeling = inspiration imo.

there's a disconnection when you are using a mouse to control a virtual knob on a screen. if you have a midi controller box then at least you're part way there. but still, you're missing the actual sound of real circuitry that feels juicier. i know this sounds like bollocks, but there is definitely a reason so many people still care about this shit. obviously it gets blown way out of proportion with the forums, ebay and general bullshitters. but there is something there for sure. i guess it's on a psychosubliminal level, but it's there. sorry i can't be more specific.

Yeah, again what's weird is that people talk about it as if oscillator detune coming from analogue drift gives the sound 'character' but just detuning your oscillators or using a bit of digital randomness doesn't...

well it's one thing to detune two oscillators intentionally and another to have an oscillator continuously changing of it's own accord on a minute level. as i've progressed in my patching, i've realised that movement is an extremely important part of keeping sounds compelling and non sterile sounding. you can achieve this with by adding modulation to filters and such. in a way this is where softsynths excel. there are so many more modulation possibilities with software than with 90% of hardware because of the base fact that the more complex a hardware synth becomes, the more parts required and the more expensive it is to produce. it basically just costs extra coding hours to implement a mod matrix that would put even most of the top end synths to shame.

anyway, i don't want to overstate the significance of drift because again, it's too subtle to make that much of a difference. but the drift and general chaos that within the boards of older synths make for some pretty cool movement within a sound. most of the time it is barely perceivable. some people call it fattness, some mojo. i dunno if it justifies 2k+ for a minimoog but its definitely funkier than sylenth or w/e.

It's kind of different in an experimental setting, I suppose, where you're really working with subtle variations in the sound of one synth over an extended period...

like with drones n stuff? yeah.

I'm really talking about the recent Dave Smith boxes and things like that rather than vintage stuff. Things that have a very limited number of knobs and a software patch editor. If I spent money on an analogue synth (often thought about it, never quite been able to justify) I'd really want to get away from the computer entirely....

yeah, away from the computer for sure. using ears over eyes n stuff. my aim at the moment is to get a full on hardware setup and move away from computer screens all together. my hardware synths are rack based with barely anything to tweak on them so i've got a nice midi controller with knobs n sliders on it to deal with those. i like rack stuff because it's more compact and easier to move about. one day if i ever have enough money and space i'll definitely get one crazy main synth full of knobs to twiddle. maybe a JD800, to drive my JD990 or i dunno, something big and tweakable.

Yeah, but a lot of people believe you can cure cancer with crystals.

This is kind of the interesting bit isn't it...

yeah, no amount of words can really explain it though, you really have to try patching a nice synth to get it.

Normally what you 'feel as much as hear' is the very bottom end, which is one of the things that's trivial to get in software (ie a low pitch sine wave).

i think there's a lot to be felt in all the frequencies. the low ones are where it's most obvious, but i don't think it takes anything special to create a rib cage rattling bass. the soundsystem has a lot to do with that anyway. the feel as much as hear thing is in the juice of the sound. ah fuck, i'm not even convincing myself with this shit. you'll have to try a proper synth out for yourself if you haven't already. preferably one with knobs on to start off with to get a feel for that analoggy reaction to your movements. if i get a chance i'll up something from the atc.

I dunno, maybe it's the mastering but I'd say that a lot of classic dubstep is all software and is fairly solid in the bass department...

yeah i have no idea about what goes on in the dubstep world with post production. obviously before putting anything on vinyl you really want to get mastered. not sure if that goes on much if everything is software? do dubstep records sound as well produced as dnb?

Yeah totally. In some cases even changing your whole approach to making sounds - losing the patch recall of software seems like it'd have a fairly fundamental impact on how you work...

i like patch recall. i like midi too for all it's inherent wackness. this is what's kept me from going completely vintage. all 3 of my synths can store patches. this makes things a hell of a lot easier. i don't like faffing around looking for the right sound or patching when i want to make a tune, it's distracting. right now i'm on this mad mission going through a ton of sysex banks to get a few core banks for each synth that will give me all the bread and butter sounds i need to build off of, maybe i'll tweak things here n there to get them to sit in the mix, but generally they'll be ready to go. that way i can dump all those into the internal memory and just hook up to my hardware sequencers and forget the computer screen all together.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
actually what i mean about idiosyncrasies is definitely about the sound of an individual synth. talking about analogs for a moment, the fact that 2 of the same model sound different proves that the idiosyncrasies exist. but the fact that the 2 are different is not why you should care, if you should at all. why it's interesting to me is that intangible fuzziness, for want of better word. when a software synth calculates a sound, it's pretty much linear. even when you add randomising algos in there. compared to a physical piece of machinery which is susceptible to the elements and often just how it's feeling that particular day.
This is a circular argument, isn't it? It's just saying that the unpredictability and variation is important because it means that the synth is unpredictable and varies... why is this different from sticking an arbitrary randomizer into a piece of software?

have you ever played a hardware synth? there's something quite magic about tweaking a knob that says cutoff on it and feeling the sound precisely react to your movements. feeling = inspiration imo.
Yeah, totally, I'm not saying that all hardware could and should be replaced by software, just that people talk a lot of bollocks about things that make no difference when it comes to the cult of True Analogue.

i think there's a lot to be felt in all the frequencies. the low ones are where it's most obvious, but i don't think it takes anything special to create a rib cage rattling bass. the soundsystem has a lot to do with that anyway. the feel as much as hear thing is in the juice of the sound. ah fuck, i'm not even convincing myself with this shit. you'll have to try a proper synth out for yourself if you haven't already. preferably one with knobs on to start off with to get a feel for that analoggy reaction to your movements. if i get a chance i'll up something from the atc.
I've played with a couple, still have one, am thinking of getting another and would love to get even more! I'm not generically anti-hardware, it's just that as a scientist I get wound up by the pseudo-mystic pseudo-scientific drivel that gets bandied around...

I'd love to hear samples, mostly because I don't think you can really get what people are talking with sounds until you hear them.

yeah i have no idea about what goes on in the dubstep world with post production. obviously before putting anything on vinyl you really want to get mastered. not sure if that goes on much if everything is software? do dubstep records sound as well produced as dnb?
I generally find that most dnb for the past 15 years has sounded incredibly sterile, even (or perhaps particularly) the ones with massive studios full of vintage hardware, mostly because I find the music extremely dull.

Most classic dubstep tunes were produced in Fruityloops or Reason or (at a pinch) Cubase, and then mastered at Transition.

i like patch recall. i like midi too for all it's inherent wackness. this is what's kept me from going completely vintage. all 3 of my synths can store patches. this makes things a hell of a lot easier. i don't like faffing around looking for the right sound or patching when i want to make a tune, it's distracting.
Yeah, I don't know, it just seems like an interesting way of approaching things. Simultaneously forcing yourself to become better at sound design as you have to come up with stuff on the fly, and losing the obsession with getting everything perfect and tweaking everything to the nth degree.

connect_icut

Must say I feel slightly guilty for my hand in turning this thread into a mammoth analogue/digital debate - particularly as I've started to find the whole subject a bit tedious (seems like every other review in The Wire mentions it in one misinformed way or another). From my point of view:

1. Actress still sounds very particularly and specifically digital to me but perhaps the way he makes digital lo-fi sound so warm and listenable is by running his stuff through some analogue outboard gear.

2. For me, it has to be digital. My stuff relies on custom-built generative sequencers and modulators, as well as a lot of real-time granular synthesis. These things are effectively impossible to achieve with analogue gear. Still, I do find it hard to get a "nice" overall sound with digital, so if I really like something I've done, my ideal is to have it analogue mastered and/or cut to vinyl.

connect_icut

just record it all onto tape once your done innit. if that still doesnt work, slow the tape down.

Yeah, I've thought about that. What I'd really like would be to have a nice four-track reel-to-reel set-up. It would be really easy to send four outputs from my soundcard to the tape machine. I really like the idea of mixing computery-sounding music on tape and imagine the results would be pleasingly uncanny.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
This is a circular argument, isn't it? It's just saying that the unpredictability and variation is important because it means that the synth is unpredictable and varies... why is this different from sticking an arbitrary randomizer into a piece of software?

as i said further down in the post i don't want to overstate the importance of this stuff, it probably doesn't matter to anyone but the person using the gear. it's barely audible.

but in answer to your question :)P) because of the linearity of the randomiser which has been designed to be random, rather than something that is unintentionally chaotic because it's made out of funky bits of electronics. imo you can detect false randomness and it doesn't feel anywhere near as good.

also, the word unpredictability makes it sound way more drastic than it really is. like if you hit the same note twice then you'd have 2 audibly different sounds. or if you were to put all the dials in the same positions on two different days you'd have 2 different sounds. that's not what i was trying to say. it's on a much more subtle level. and yeah, i dunno, i guess it is a bit of a nerdy thing. probably not worth wasting much more time on it here. anyone who wants to find out more could check out gearslutz or summat.

Yeah, totally, I'm not saying that all hardware could and should be replaced by software, just that people talk a lot of bollocks about things that make no difference when it comes to the cult of True Analogue.

I've played with a couple, still have one, am thinking of getting another and would love to get even more! I'm not generically anti-hardware, it's just that as a scientist I get wound up by the pseudo-mystic pseudo-scientific drivel that gets bandied around..

I'd love to hear samples, mostly because I don't think you can really get what people are talking with sounds until you hear them.

i didn't think you were taking any particular stance on which is better... and i'm against the bollocks as much as you. i realised half way through writing that post that it was going nowhere because as you say, it's really down to hearing (and i'd add feeling) it.

I generally find that most dnb for the past 15 years has sounded incredibly sterile, even (or perhaps particularly) the ones with massive studios full of vintage hardware, mostly because I find the music extremely dull.

oh yeah, no doubt. the lack of ideas sucks a lot more than the production tho, imo. if photek or whoever had access to a studio full of vintage shit back in the day im sure he would have still made some great music.

Most classic dubstep tunes were produced in Fruityloops or Reason or (at a pinch) Cubase, and then mastered at Transition.

i feel like i can hear its software a lot of the time. due to the lack of depth of field. the productions sound less labour intensive. wouldn't mind being proved wrong, though.

Yeah, I don't know, it just seems like an interesting way of approaching things. Simultaneously forcing yourself to become better at sound design as you have to come up with stuff on the fly, and losing the obsession with getting everything perfect and tweaking everything to the nth degree.

yeah but have you ever found that while trying to flesh out an arrangement you get side tracked by some pointless little detail and by the time you're done with whatever that was you've lost the flow? i know i have plenty of times and it frustrates the shit out of me. making arrangements is probably the trickiest thing for me. really wish i had a collab partner for this reason.

as for things being perfect, if that's a reference to what i said about getting my banks together? in each bank there's 60 slots, so if i have one bank for bass, thats 60 bass sounds to go through. quite a lot, but nowhere near as many as i go through usually. and this will be 60 sounds that i have picked and already suit the stuff i do, rather than random shit of which 80% will be totally useless to me. I'm just trying to streamline my workflow and have less reasons to get distracted and waste time.

Must say I feel slightly guilty for my hand in turning this thread into a mammoth analogue/digital debate - particularly as I've started to find the whole subject a bit tedious (seems like every other review in The Wire mentions it in one misinformed way or another)

well maybe it should get transplanted over to the production thread where it's more relevant? if there was more discussion about techniques for sounding analog and or grittier then i'd say it would be pretty worthwhile?

1. Actress still sounds very particularly and specifically digital to me but perhaps the way he makes digital lo-fi sound so warm and listenable is by running his stuff through some analogue outboard gear.

yeah, i've listened to a fair bit of his stuff since this thread started and i'd say it's his evocation of nostalgia rather than production skills that give the feeling of warmth. it doesn't sound particularly analog to me.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
found a few decent examples of the ATC-1 online.

this one is with the arp filter which is my fave

and this one is the moog filter

pretty greasy sounding if you ask me. not aware of any software that quite gets that just yet...

connect_icut

but in answer to your question :)P) because of the linearity of the randomiser which has been designed to be random, rather than something that is unintentionally chaotic because it's made out of funky bits of electronics. imo you can detect false randomness and it doesn't feel anywhere near as good.

I think we're talking about a different type of randomness, though. You seem to be talking about getting interesting results by encouraging gear to do stuff it's not really supposed to. I'm talking about randomly modulating certain musical parameters - a kind of very deliberate and controlled chaos. As far as I know, there's no gear or off-the-peg software that can achieve this but it's a piece of piss to build random number generators in Max/MSP. I've been told that - because of the way they work - computers do randomness particularly well.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
This does sound a lot like superstition to me. I mean, we're basically talking about the pitch of the oscillator changing gradually over time. I can see why an oscillator that doesn't stay perfectly in tune is interesting, but the idea that your ear can detect the gradual pattern of pitch drift - not just the presence of drift, but the shape of it - that comes from a resistor getting warm and finds it more pleasing than the pattern of change that comes from a reasonably sensible drift algorithm is something I'd like to see done in a blind test before I'll believe it...

oh yeah, no doubt. the lack of ideas sucks a lot more than the production tho, imo. if photek or whoever had access to a studio full of vintage shit back in the day im sure he would have still made some great music.
Well yeah. What I mean is that so much modern dnb seems to be about the engineering more than anything else - you look on the production forums on DOA and they're all talking about how to resample their basslines fifteen times and run the drums through 200 layers of processing in order to get them to sound exactly the same as anyone elses, and squashing any sort of space or dynamics out of the sound in the interests of getting 'bare phat'.

i feel like i can hear its software a lot of the time. due to the lack of depth of field. the productions sound less labour intensive. wouldn't mind being proved wrong, though.
Really? Hum. It's a different production style - it IS less labour intensive. I mean, to me it sounds a lot more interesting than modern dnb, and modern dnb produced with vintage hardware and modern dnb produced with plugins sound much more similar (and similarly boring) to each other than either one does to early dubstep, because the way people approach production has a lot more impact than the choice of equipment...

But I guess what I'm really arguing with isn't "I feel like I can hear it's software". It's the micro to macro level stuff that people spout - "this music has no warmth / feel / humanity because the synths don't have certain engineering level imperfections". The equation of engineering level imperfection with human-level expressiveness, or of 'warmth' as a subtle quality of a filter sound that you seem to have to spend quite a lot of time comparing filters to be able to identify with 'warmth' as in the capacity to express emotion...

And hence it seems mental when people in dubstep start saying this, given that, one assumes, they can find expressiveness and warmth (of a sort) in at least some of the classic tunes that the scene was built on...

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
I think we're talking about a different type of randomness, though. You seem to be talking about getting interesting results by encouraging gear to do stuff it's not really supposed to.

well that is an in interesting thing for sure, but it's not really what i'm talking about. i'm starting to realise that i really just don't have the words to explain it properly. the clearest i can be is: i believe that hardware has a different sound, and to my ears i prefer that sound. but obviously, depending on the quality and execution if the idea, computer generated music can be just as 'good'. also, when i have a more hands on setup to work with i tend to feel more inspired.

I've been told that - because of the way they work - computers do randomness particularly well.

i have heard the contrary, to me it makes sense that computers would stuggle to generate truly random sequences because they are logical and algorhythmically deterministic.

...is something I'd like to see done in a blind test before I'll believe it...

do the examples of the atc i posted sound in any way different to software to you? if not then it's probably not worth thinking about this any further. to me those examples sound different. something in the richness of the texture.

Well yeah. What I mean is that so much modern dnb seems to be about the engineering more than anything else - you look on the production forums on DOA and they're all talking about how to resample their basslines fifteen times and run the drums through 200 layers of processing in order to get them to sound exactly the same as anyone elses, and squashing any sort of space or dynamics out of the sound in the interests of getting 'bare phat'.

yeah, it's truly awful. i can't believe people are still pushing that.

Really? Hum. It's a different production style - it IS less labour intensive. I mean, to me it sounds a lot more interesting than modern dnb, and modern dnb produced with vintage hardware and modern dnb produced with plugins sound much more similar (and similarly boring) to each other than either one does to early dubstep, because the way people approach production has a lot more impact than the choice of equipment...

yes, i'm sure most things vs. modern dnb would end up looking prtty good.

But I guess what I'm really arguing with isn't "I feel like I can hear it's software". It's the micro to macro level stuff that people spout - "this music has no warmth / feel / humanity because the synths don't have certain engineering level imperfections". The equation of engineering level imperfection with human-level expressiveness, or of 'warmth' as a subtle quality of a filter sound that you seem to have to spend quite a lot of time comparing filters to be able to identify with 'warmth' as in the capacity to express emotion...

i don't believe that warmth/soul/expression come from hardware. i believe they come from the composer and there is no reason you cannot achieve these things in the software domain. personally i find more inspiration using things i am more physically connected to. the mouse/screen is one of the least inspiring interfaces i can think of.

And hence it seems mental when people in dubstep start saying this, given that, one assumes, they can find expressiveness and warmth (of a sort) in at least some of the classic tunes that the scene was built on...

more than likely though that the warmth they are talking about comes from many things, from the chords and intervals used, to the texture of the sounds. even just where they were at in their own head or the vibe in the club when it was dropped for the first time. i mean, its such a subjective thing to talk about. no particular gear is going to give you a shortcut to attaining warmth. but when i think of the music that i consider to be warm, i think of things that for the most part were made with hardware.

gumdrops

ive just got round to hearing this. i like it. but the filters/fuzziness/general 'worn' sound he seems to go for, it doesnt sound 'authentic' enough. just sounds like a cheap digital plug in or effect.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
well that is an in interesting thing for sure, but it's not really what i'm talking about. i'm starting to realise that i really just don't have the words to explain it properly. the clearest i can be is: i believe that hardware has a different sound, and to my ears i prefer that sound.
Out of interest (I'm not going to go further on this), are you talking about hardware in general or carefully picked bits of hardware? I mean, the Yamaha Portasound keyboards are hardware but for sound I'd rather have software....

also, when i have a more hands on setup to work with i tend to feel more inspired.
Yeah, totally. Which is what makes the comparison a bit moot - I mean, for a lot of stuff the difference in the experience is so big that it's almost impossible to identify what's down to the actual sonic properties of the machine and what's down to the whole hands-on hardware experience.

i have heard the contrary, to me it makes sense that computers would stuggle to generate truly random sequences because they are logical and algorhythmically deterministic.
Interesting question, actually. Computers are very good at generating pseudo-random numbers efficiently, and quite bad at generating a lot of genuinely random numbers. On the other hand, the weakness of 'pseudo-random numbers' is that they aren't cryptographically secure - ie if someone decides to bring a lot of high powered statistics to bear on them they'll be able to unpick them and figure out the mathematical pattern behind them. Whereas I'd bet any money that by just looking at a list of pseudo-random numbers you wouldn't be able to pick them out from similar lists of genuinely random numbers.

do the examples of the atc i posted sound in any way different to software to you? if not then it's probably not worth thinking about this any further. to me those examples sound different. something in the richness of the texture.
Well, it sounds different to anything I've managed to do with software! Although I haven't spent time playing with the state of the art virtual analogue stuff (D-CAM Synth Squad and u-He ACE last time I checked...)

But the difference there is down to the actual sound of the oscillators and (more importantly) the characteristics of the filter, no? Wouldn't it'd still sound as good if you rebuilt it using very very low tolerance (but otherwise identical) components so that that unit sounded the same as any other units built to the same spec, or if you digitally regulated the oscillator pitch and then reintroduced the oscillator drift by using a pseudo-random algorithm to simulate it?

i don't believe that warmth/soul/expression come from hardware. i believe they come from the composer and there is no reason you cannot achieve these things in the software domain. personally i find more inspiration using things i am more physically connected to. the mouse/screen is one of the least inspiring interfaces i can think of.

more than likely though that the warmth they are talking about comes from many things, from the chords and intervals used, to the texture of the sounds. even just where they were at in their own head or the vibe in the club when it was dropped for the first time. i mean, its such a subjective thing to talk about. no particular gear is going to give you a shortcut to attaining warmth.
Totally agree with all of the above.

but when i think of the music that i consider to be warm, i think of things that for the most part were made with hardware.
How much of that is just due to it being classic (or just old) stuff, though? Not to mention the social / cultural elements of who can actually get hold of significant amounts of hardware and who actually wants to get hold of significant amounts of hardware, and what sort of music they want to make...

Phaedo

I heard a interview with Loefah recently where he was saying how VST's/digital synths are good enough now that you don't need hardware. But he did say that getting a nice outboard compressor/pre-amp can get things sounding much nicer. Processing is key really. People slate them but Vintage Warmers can do a great job too.

To contradict myself though I bought Skudge's new LP which is all analogue and pre-mastered on a reel to reel and it sounds better than most records I have bought.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
UAD's stuff is meant to be very very good for digital models of old mixing and mastering hardware.

But there's a bit of a cause and effect thing in any case - it's quite hard to disentangle by listening to the music whether the production sounds good because it's done with hardware or whether there's it's just that the people who are willing to spend large amounts of money on hardware are also the sort of people who give enough of a shit about production values to work on making stuff sound good anyway...

And my standard moan here is that the wonderful sounding old hardware that everyone goes on about often seems to have developed its cachet at about the time when a bunch of people with more ideas than money started using it because it was generally unwanted and cheap.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Out of interest (I'm not going to go further on this), are you talking about hardware in general or carefully picked bits of hardware? I mean, the Yamaha Portasound keyboards are hardware but for sound I'd rather have software....

ha, tricky bugger. yeah of course if it's a shitty piece of gear then it's going to sound like shit. that may be just what your track needs though? but no, 85% of what i'm on about is stuff that was usually considered good when it was out. not necessarily the top of the range stuff, though. more whatever was popular. the other 15% counts for the less popular but still surprisingly good stuff.

Yeah, totally. Which is what makes the comparison a bit moot - I mean, for a lot of stuff the difference in the experience is so big that it's almost impossible to identify what's down to the actual sonic properties of the machine and what's down to the whole hands-on hardware experience.

i dunno about that, really. i feel like my ears can detect the difference.

...Whereas I'd bet any money that by just looking at a list of pseudo-random numbers you wouldn't be able to pick them out from similar lists of genuinely random numbers.

true, but i think that requires right brain thinking to figure out whereas the randomness i'm talking about, i would wager, is felt in the left brain.

Well, it sounds different to anything I've managed to do with software! Although I haven't spent time playing with the state of the art virtual analogue stuff (D-CAM Synth Squad and u-He ACE last time I checked...)

yeah, dcam and ace are both very good at what they do. admiralquality's polyana is also great and a mate of mine recommended the xils stuff the other day but i haven't properly checked it. i think if you were a very advanced synth programmer you'd probably be able to make some great and very thick sounding patches with software. the level of detail you can go into with dcam is really incredible. dcam stands for "Discrete Component Analogue Modeling" by the way. fxpansion went to the trouble of modelling each component of the circuit board and it's all getting processed in realtime. this partly explains the huge amount of cpu needed to run them. i'm sure they've employed a fair amount of 'random' to each component to give it some looseness. but still, i've spent quite a lot of time with dcam and as pleasing as the patches are, i feel like i can still hear the 2Dness of them.

But the difference there is down to the actual sound of the oscillators and (more importantly) the characteristics of the filter, no? Wouldn't it'd still sound as good if you rebuilt it using very very low tolerance (but otherwise identical) components so that that unit sounded the same as any other units built to the same spec, or if you digitally regulated the oscillator pitch and then reintroduced the oscillator drift by using a pseudo-random algorithm to simulate it?

i have no idea, i don't know anything about electronics. but i would guess that pseudo random dco/dcf wouldn't sound as fat as actual analog. but it may still sound more pleasing than software. lots of ifs and maybes there though.

How much of that is just due to it being classic (or just old) stuff, though? Not to mention the social / cultural elements of who can actually get hold of significant amounts of hardware and who actually wants to get hold of significant amounts of hardware, and what sort of music they want to make...

of course it's partly to do with it being classic, but there is still a depth of field there that makes the listening experience richer.

...imo.

I heard a interview with Loefah recently where he was saying how VST's/digital synths are good enough now that you don't need hardware. But he did say that getting a nice outboard compressor/pre-amp can get things sounding much nicer. Processing is key really. People slate them but Vintage Warmers can do a great job too.

quite a few big name producers (eg dennis ferrer, osunlade) have said recently that they are going mostly itb now and running their vsts through outboard. i think this is probably an interesting avenue to look at considering you can find some very nice colored pres and compressors for less than a lot of overpriced hardware synths.

but... part of me thinks this is them not having the patience anymore, with the industry being so unrewarding atm.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
true, but i think that requires right brain thinking to figure out whereas the randomness i'm talking about, i would wager, is felt in the left brain.
Hum. I'm very very dubious about that even if you're talking about (sensibly generated) pseudorandom digits played back at audio frequency rather than the sort of low frequency that you'd use to simulate drift. The idea that you can play back a series of numbers that are mathematically pretty much indistinguishable from truly random numbers and get a sort of mysterious unsatisfied feeling from them that you don't get from truly random numbers is a fairly bizarre claim and one that I can't find any research to back up...
i have no idea, i don't know anything about electronics. but i would guess that pseudo random dco/dcf wouldn't sound as fat as actual analog. but it may still sound more pleasing than software. lots of ifs and maybes there though.
Sorry, you're going off into magic here. VCO drift doesn't make a given oscillator sound fat. It doesn't alter the timbre of the oscillator at all. It just means that the pitch varies gradually over time, and hence that two or more oscillators will always tend to be slightly out of tune. There's no magic about out-of-tuneness that comes from VCO drift rather than the out-of-tuneness that comes from slightly detuning stuff except that the VCO drift varies slowly over time, and while you might spot it if you simulated the drift with a periodic LFO with a shortish period, if you use a slightly randomized algorithm it'd be basically identical.

And this applies even more so to the differences between apparently identical synths due to the component tolerances... to put it the other way round, if they used calibration grade components for everything, it'd still sound as good even though the 'uniqueness' had been drastically reduced.

of course it's partly to do with it being classic, but there is still a depth of field there that makes the listening experience richer.

...imo.
I suspect that you're using it to mean something else, but the phrase 'depth of field' is interesting given that analogue recording gear generally has a significantly smaller dynamic range than digital...

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Hum. I'm very very dubious about that even if you're talking about (sensibly generated) pseudorandom digits played back at audio frequency rather than the sort of low frequency that you'd use to simulate drift. The idea that you can play back a series of numbers that are mathematically pretty much indistinguishable from truly random numbers and get a sort of mysterious unsatisfied feeling from them that you don't get from truly random numbers is a fairly bizarre claim and one that I can't find any research to back up...

Sorry, you're going off into magic here. VCO drift doesn't make a given oscillator sound fat. It doesn't alter the timbre of the oscillator at all. It just means that the pitch varies gradually over time, and hence that two or more oscillators will always tend to be slightly out of tune. There's no magic about out-of-tuneness that comes from VCO drift rather than the out-of-tuneness that comes from slightly detuning stuff except that the VCO drift varies slowly over time, and while you might spot it if you simulated the drift with a periodic LFO with a shortish period, if you use a slightly randomized algorithm it'd be basically identical.

And this applies even more so to the differences between apparently identical synths due to the component tolerances... to put it the other way round, if they used calibration grade components for everything, it'd still sound as good even though the 'uniqueness' had been drastically reduced.

Don Solaris is a mod on the electronic music forum on gearslutz and a synth wiz of note. I'll quote some of the things he has to say on the matter as he is much better at explaining these things than i ever will be:

VCO can be designed with minimal drift, almost zero, i.e. Andromeda, MOTM, etc.

Only true difference between VCO and a DCO is that VCO shifts in frequency through indefinite resolution depth. This is what gives "fat" sound when you have two VCOs detuned as opposed to DCO's that go in "stairs" up and down in pitch (both fundamental and harmonics). With one oscillator system - difference isn't much noticeable, but with two slightly detuned VCO's vs DCO's, difference is: night/day.

Same rule applies for phase and amplitude. Watching a raw VCO on a scope shows an ever evolving dancing waveform in: frequency, phase and amplitude. DCO on the other hand is rock solid.

Regarding oscillator drift - these vary from synth to synth. Korg MonoPoly has ultra stable VCO's, but sounds thin compared to CS-15 that has horrible VCO stability, yet produces some of the fattest bass sounds on planet (though it doesn't have a big bottom like Moog or SH-2). Two oscs on CS-15 are fatter than all four on MonoPoly.

Except classic stuff like unison, or playing the same key on Polysix and observing different pitch and resonance point per each note I can't find any other situation where i could point my finger and say, "yeah my Juno 60 sounds different here because it is a DCO".

However, there is one thing i can't explain. But i feel it all the time. When i sit in front of Polysix i can spend 8 hours there, enjoying, having fun with additional analog efects and stuff. All cool. But with Juno 60 it gets "boring" after a while. Somehow, it sounds "the same", even with constantly applied modulations. Second, i can never sit next to Polysix and make the same sounding patch twice. On Juno 60 it is a matter of second.

couple of threads worth reading

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?1800645-DCO-vs.-VCO (there are links to more threads in this one)
http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30531&sid=fc9addfa466523d9b3408bbce3282e92

I suspect that you're using it to mean something else, but the phrase 'depth of field' is interesting given that analogue recording gear generally has a significantly smaller dynamic range than digital...

i'm talking about 3D depth. also, i dunno if it was clear in my posts but i like some digital synths. i'm not saying digital sounds bad.