Who is Arcade Fire??!!?

gumdrops

i *have* heard of AF and actually have a bit of a soft spot for them (still not seem them live though which has bugged me). but the only album of theirs i really like is neon bible. do have the other two but the suburbs seems a bit too conscious of how its Saying Something Important (even some of the lyrics seem a bit clunkily weighed down by this problem) and funeral i think doesnt sound like its quite there to me, though i know it gets the most props out of all their albums. so neon bible IS their masterpiece right?

crackerjack

i *have* heard of AF and actually have a bit of a soft spot for them (still not seem them live though which has bugged me). but the only album of theirs i really like is neon bible. do have the other two but the suburbs seems a bit too conscious of how its Saying Something Important (even some of the lyrics seem a bit clunkily weighed down by this problem) and funeral i think doesnt sound like its quite there to me, though i know it gets the most props out of all their albums. so neon bible IS their masterpiece right?

I like NB best (tho haven;t heard the latest). Sounds like them opening out, not being afriad to blow away that whole loser mentality that dogs indie music. Reminds me quite a lot of Bunnymen when they were good. Of course, the next step from there is U2, which maybe why I didn't check out Suburbs.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Speaking of music ghettoisation - or whatever it is we're speaking about - I happened to look at the wikipedia list of biggest selling albums. I wouldn't have guessed in a million years that Backstreet Boys had three records that had sold more than twenty million including one that had sold forty million(!) - more than any album by the Beatles, Led Zepp etc etc Is that me completely failing to see outside my ghetto or is it a sick joke?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_selling_album#Best-selling_albums_by_country

Also, I knew that The Bodyguard soundtrack sold loads but wouldn't have put it at number four for all time somehow.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Also, Justin Bieber fans don't know who Arcade Fire are - but I wonder if they know what German is... (sorry if this is old news).

crackerjack

Speaking of music ghettoisation - or whatever it is we're speaking about - I happened to look at the wikipedia list of biggest selling albums. I wouldn't have guessed in a million years that Backstreet Boys had three records that had sold more than twenty million including one that had sold forty million(!) - more than any album by the Beatles, Led Zepp etc etc Is that me completely failing to see outside my ghetto or is it a sick joke?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_selling_album#Best-selling_albums_by_country

Also, I knew that The Bodyguard soundtrack sold loads but wouldn't have put it at number four for all time somehow.

No coincidence that BB's career also corresponded exactly with the record biz's high-water mark.

http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-of-the-day-music-industry-sales-2011-2

No albums on that wiki list since '04, and the only 2 since '00 are placed last and 5th from last.

Surprises me Beatles aren't higher, but they released their albums at a time when singles outsold LPs, often didn't put singles on the album, and made one every 7/8 months. Also EMI always kept them off mid-price lists, unlike, say, Back In Black.

Leo

Speaking of music ghettoisation - or whatever it is we're speaking about - I happened to look at the wikipedia list of biggest selling albums...

shania twain and alanis morissette each sold more than "sgt. pepper"??? :eek:

MatthewH

makes strange noises.
If you don't like Arcade Fire, hipsters will kill you.

Shockingly not filmed in the Mile End neighbourhood of Montreal.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"No coincidence that BB's career also corresponded exactly with the record biz's high-water mark.

http://www.businessinsider.com/chart...y-sales-2011-2

No albums on that wiki list since '04, and the only 2 since '00 are placed last and 5th from last."
True enough. I wonder how many copies of Thriller sold since MJ kicked the bucket though? I mean, I think it's been pretty much the biggest selling album since it came out but would never have guessed that it had done more than twice as much as everything else.

crackerjack

True enough. I wonder how many copies of Thriller sold since MJ kicked the bucket though? I mean, I think it's been pretty much the biggest selling album since it came out but would never have guessed that it had done more than twice as much as everything else.

I'm a bit sceptical about the Jacko figure. There were claims of 100m+ bandied about round the time of his death that many took issue with, saying the real figure was more like 60-70m. Looking through the sources for this wiki page, there's a notable absence of professional industry bodies.

nomos

Administrator
BBC: Grammy Awards 'has lost touch with pop'

A veteran music executive has criticised the Grammy Awards in a full-page advert in the New York Times.

Steve Stoute said Grammy voters had "lost touch with contemporary popular culture" by snubbing artists like Eminem and Justin Bieber.

He added the show had become "a series of hypocrisies and contradictions", claiming both acts were only asked to perform to boost TV ratings.

Here's the gem:

this wasteman said:
"How is it that Justin Bieber, an artist that defines what it means to be a modern artist, did not win best new artist?" Stoute said.

Inspired by the events in Egypt...

He finished by calling on artists to "demand they change this system" and uphold "its mission for advocacy and support of artistry as culture evolves".

crackerjack

BBC: Grammy Awards 'has lost touch with pop'

Here's the gem:

Inspired by the events in Egypt...

There's an increasing amount of this shit (not the pretence it has something to do with Egypt - that's just bonkers). But any time Feel My Blockbuster III doesn't clean up at the Oscars you see these same tired complaints about cultural elitism.

And Eminem wasn't ignored - he won Best Rap Album, as he has for ALL BUT ONE of his six mostly pretty dull albums.

Obviously that beating he took from Diddy's goons did Stoute more harm than first thought.