Can you be a DJ and not own a label or make music?

gumdrops

what about radio djs like semtex? i think if youre doing radio you prob dont need to do a label or make music cos you have the added platform of being on the air. though if semtex did have a label it would prob conflict with bbc rules to play his labels music all the time. then again gilles peterson has brownswood doesnt he? though i dont listen to his show enough to know how much of that he plays.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
what about radio djs like semtex? i think if youre doing radio you prob dont need to do a label or make music cos you have the added platform of being on the air. though if semtex did have a label it would prob conflict with bbc rules to play his labels music all the time. then again gilles peterson has brownswood doesnt he? though i dont listen to his show enough to know how much of that he plays.

semtex works for def jam uk and has worked for a number of majors.

gumdrops

so basically if you work in music, and esp if you are a dj, you are likely to be a game playing, self promoting, nepotistic bastard with low regard for already blurry ethics (or its just bloody hard to really be ethical).

gumdrops

its not easy though - youre trying to make a living and get your finger in lots of pies so its only natural its going to get a bit messy. though i dont think many people are that conflicted about it, and perhaps it can appear to be knowingly messier than it really is (though it can be that too - i dont think semtex has any shame in his game)