Vinyl dying (for DJ's)

rubberdingyrapids

yeah, bad as it might be that every producer thinks they can also dj, equally bad are the djs who thinks that being a dj makes them able to produce/remix/edit etc too. (ie the stems idea might be too much freedom for most djs and kinda dilute what being a good dj is actually about - i think limits are often good things)

Last edited:

Leo

i always viewed djing and producing as two different skills. while there's certainly a relation between the two, the ability to do one doesn't necessarily mean you'll be any good at the other, does it?

Phaedo

i think a lot of producers who are djs think making the tunes takes all the skill, then djing is the easy part.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Aye, the knock on of rep and gigs coming from prominently from getting a record out now has seen a lot of people learning djing on the fly and all that goes with.

Local Authority

bitch city
I booked some artists recently one who's been producing and playing out for almost 20 years, one who is only on his second release and only came about in the past 8 months.

Guess who was significantly cheaper (and polite) ?

Esp

As secondline said though, it would sound shit if the stems were mixed together without being properly EQ-ed and compressed; can't see any way around that, given tracks of any reasonable complexity.

I agree in terms of people getting a load of stems from different tunes and throwing them all together in Ableton, that would probably be horrible for the most part. Yet when you mix in and out of a tune you are layering sounds that have not been properly EQ-ed together - so it doesnt make any sense to me to talk about it in terms of precision mixing/mastering. All most mixers have to keep things clean/smooth/interesting etc is multiband EQ which is a fairly clunky and imperfect tool.

outraygeous

yeah but who cares?

shouldnt you be having a good time and not noticing that the kick drum isnt sitting in the right frequency range?

I used to go out with a mate who would be critiquing every mix the DJ did. I dont care these days, unless they are poop.

People are probably playing 320 MP3s so its all witchcraft anyways

Esp

multiply that by, say ten and you've got a sludgy mess that's got far more layers than the DJ can effectively tweak on the fly

As I thought I said above, Im talking about mixing one tune into another, not lots of stems from different tunes all mixed together.

Saw jackmaster at Corsica playing what I presume to be 320s because they sounded...joyless. great selection, brilliant mixing, no joy

This is the sort of thing I find strange, why would you presume them to be 320s when it could be a bunch of other reasons to do with the soundsystem as to why there was 'no joy'?

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I'm quite excited that we've isolated the 'joy' in music as residing in the tiny artifacts that are lost by high bitrate mp3 compression...

rubberdingyrapids

i think it should be on the listing info if a dj is playing vinyl or 320s or flacs. waiting for the days when we get excited about djs playing 'exclusive lo-fi all 128kbps set'.

outraygeous

The current responses made me chuckle

True, there are some many links in the chain which could create shit sound. Nothing worse than shit sound in a venue but its probably best not wondering if its the bitrate of the mp3

a few more drinks usually sorts that out.

I listen to all my old garage records and they sound SHIT now after years of pirate radio abuse but I know they will still do the job in the rave.

Same with a dubplate thats played way into the metal. I saw Mickey Finn playing his Arsonist Dubplate. Jumped all over the shop!