Photograph pricing

IdleRich

IdleRich
My flatmate did some work unpaid taking still photos during a pop-video shoot. Now the guy is asking to use one of the photos for the front cover of the single. How much should my friend ask for?
The person who did the song is a pretty well-known club promoter and I think he's been behind the scenes on a few singles but I don't know how many he's likely to sell in his own name.

bruno

est malade
my (now ex) girlfriend was in a similar position, she was asked for two photos for the cover of a book on a small dutch imprint. it was suggested to me that 200-250 euros for both was reasonable given the size of the publisher, and that would allow them to use the photos on any medium with the condition that they mention her name. i'm not sure how that turned out, but i was also told that with a small outfit especially it makes sense to ask how much they are willing to pay, and find a price agreeable to both parties.

bruno

est malade
cleary i wasn't of much help, you need someone in the uk with a better pulse on things.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
my (now ex) girlfriend was in a similar position, she was asked for two photos for the cover of a book on a small dutch imprint. it was suggested to me that 200-250 euros for both was reasonable given the size of the publisher, and that would allow them to use the photos on any medium with the condition that they mention her name. i'm not sure how that turned out, but i was also told that with a small outfit especially it makes sense to ask how much they are willing to pay, and find a price agreeable to both parties.

Just out of curiosity, what book was that?

IdleRich

IdleRich
I dunno if it's much help or not. One guy suggested asking for five grand which I think is optimistic to say the least.

e/y

asked on another forum where a few pro. photographers post:

A credit is *not* the best anyone can expect. £350 is not at all unreasonable as a day rate. Publications generally pay £100 to £300 for a cover photo. For a commercial product, slightly more would be fair.