Fuzzzz!

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
one more bonus. mountain is more post-cream, sludgy, power trio kind of density than fuzz but:

this has that gluey fuzzed 70s bass (see: ted nugent - stranglehold) and the guitars just go on + fuckin on + on. they just wear you down. it's like if early ash ra tempel had decided to abandon kosmiche in favor of playing 32 minute covers of sunshine of your love
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cyKg7cN3hpo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

craner

Beast of Burden
that's ok, fuzz is anti-craner. the only things I trust your opinions on are 2-step and Central Asia anyway.

Erm, I don't really know very much about 2-step.

Fuzz indicates, to me, a lack of ambition and imagination, unlike blazer-clad yacht-disco which is packed with ambition and imagination. (For example, how will I ever be able to afford my own yacht? I wonder which blazer will match these shoes?)

padraig (u.s.)

Erm, I don't really know very much about 2-step

it's not your encyclopedic knowledge, it's the passion and erudition that 2-step moves you to. I'll take that over record collector nerdiness any day.

otoh if you can't see the imagination of longhair freaks playing lysergic face melting guitars in psychic defense against the sucking abyssal void of modern life that's your loss

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fVeOzX1EZxc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bobby liebling has always claimed pentagram was more inspired by blue cheer than sabbath and I believe him
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Gk0q6tjD6gY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

this one especially for rich
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yb6ob5Exl4U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

undoubtedly the rockingest psychedelic oud fuzz of all time
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FIcFRSNaRfU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IdleRich

IdleRich
OK, this On The Road South is cool, you're right.
Heard the Berberian stuff before at DannyL's house, still great though obviously.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Holy fuzzing fuck! Just found this on YT about eight clicks on from Ron Wray:

I mean...just, Jesus.

padraig (u.s.)

I decided every Friday until further notice I'm going to put up 2 selections from my ongoing forays in to the diverse and tremulous galaxies of fuzz, in the general interest of furthering fuzz appreciation. b/c imagination is overrated I will call it Fuzz Friday. today is Saturday but I forgot yesterday and I don't want to wait a week, so, to start:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kgNjIY03X2U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
wind tunnel sounding fuzz from Normandy. great drummer.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4IzVLYqmUhI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
this is like that Pierre Henry/Spooky Tooth record if instead of sucking it was fucking awesome (ffwd to 1:20 for beginning of actual fuzz as opposed to just thudding white noise also cool tho)

not all selections will be from the late 60s but these both are

IdleRich

IdleRich
I know the record you mean. It should be good and it isn't. Will check this now hoping for what that could have been.

padraig (u.s.)

the Henry/Spooky Tooth thing is a good idea w/terrible execution (also that Spooky Tooth was the kind of lame generic blues rock that late 60s England was awash with doesn't help). I've found a lot of those lauded experimental late 60s records - Cromagnon, United States of America, 50 Foot Hose, even Silver Apples - to be badly overrated and disappointing but the whole Spoils of War LP is fucking great. the best song is "Now Is Made In America" but it's not really fuzz so I didn't choose it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I love Silver Apples and pretty much love the USA too but I've never been able to get on with Fifty ft Hose somehow except for a few songs. I honestly think Silver Apples are THAT good though. Hard to judge after years and years of hype and whatnot though I guess.

padraig (u.s.)

Fuzz Fridays #2, albeit on a Monday

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-oxwuWD70g4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
acid punks travel backward in time to inflict terribly recorded shambling sub-Jimi rusty razor blade shreddage onto England ca 1971

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8Jbx6bsBWKs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
1st Stooges LP meets garage rock vibe. also, the cover is them dressed in black point guns at you.

padraig (u.s.)

also @Rich - I mean I respect the Silver Apples, it just doesn't move me. and there are numerous better early electronic records, better late 60s weirdo freakout records, whatever. The Beat of the Earth, Amon Duul I, Parson Sound, Church of Anthrax, Don Bradshaw-Leather, on and on, are all stuff I'd put way over Silver Apples. clearly, ymmv. if you're interested there is a amazing, unfortunately super obscure record by this duo Madrigal from 1971, kind of like if Silver Apples did stoned psych folk.

IdleRich

IdleRich
The ones I've heard from that list I like but they're not so forward thinking as Silver Apples. That Madrigal sounds really interesting though, I will check it out if I can without paying five thousand dollars for the original...