Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandiculate

this one has the same joy as screaming your lungs out when you're drunk

from a wonderful list by a wonderful man.

craner makes curation an art form. his collections become an aesthetic statement in and of themselves. not broad ones either; he somehow can collate all these disparate things and somehow produce something incredibly nuanced and specific.

In creating of the song itself the rapper himself provided not only the male vocals but also the female vocals by raising the pitch of his voice using studio technology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Got_a_Man

weird

Leo

Devilishly delicious sonics on that one, leo

Dub often feels edible

it's kind of distorted on the youtube post, like the person who uploaded it had the levels too loud. then I got a 2cd Perry comp (called "disco devil") and turns out that's the way the original sounds, LOL.

iron shirt, indeed.

CrowleyHead

This sounds like a sample in one of Wiz Kalifah's tunes. Can't remember the tune which is useful.

EDIT: FOUND IT

Yeah the Wiz tune is sampling a Mac Demarco record which is cribbing that melody from a japanese rock record Travis & Co are probably sampling directly.

<iframe width="342" height="192" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NY8IS0ssnXQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

This week I've totally turned round on NTS. It's now the light of my life. It's making me want to buy records and go to clubs again.

This tune was just played on a house show dedicated to Ron Trent/Prescription Records. Combined with the unseasonal sun I was getting major I want to be on a terrace vibes.

craner

Beast of Burden

This week I've totally turned round on NTS. It's now the light of my life. It's making me want to buy records and go to clubs again.

This tune was just played on a house show dedicated to Ron Trent/Prescription Records. Combined with the unseasonal sun I was getting major I want to be on a terrace vibes.

Mmm, that’s gorgeous.

sadmanbarty

I wonder if there’s a strain of thinking that posits the thirdform continuum as the continuation of African American church music.

You get all that stuff with free jazz being equated with speaking in tongues and yelling and whooping and all that. Then you get this, which has got that kind of abrasiveness coupled with preaching.

I said before that Ben Watson views reggae, chess records and punk as all similar; picking up this grating, shrapnel quality on them all. Hearing reggae not as bass but as hissing hi hats and overdrive. It’s a similar sensibility.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I tuned into NTS earlier on the way home and happened to do so just as the DJ was playing this

I was surprised and moved by this because this is a song I was obsessed with for ages and never managed to turn anyone else onto. I find it achingly beautiful, one of the best SWV songs.

It's produced by J.r. Swinga, who also produced a few tracks on the unreleased Latrelle album which the Neptunes did production on (which features at least two classic songs "House Party" and "My Life"). I guess there must be a Teddy Riley connection.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
When they harmonize - because of right here rmx probably - it's a sound that takes me back to being a kid in the 90s. The mystery of life!

That song is almost a blueprint or precursor at least to this one, a favourite of the same period I think - aching, naively gorgeous, blandish RNB.

Status
Not open for further replies.