Status
Not open for further replies.

chava

Vainio was known to play DJ sets like that.

Here's a little drum box polka ditty from him and Jimi Tenor as your tune of the day:

woops

is not like other people
seems to me he needed some help quite urgently in his last days. i wonder why he never got it? he doesn't seem like the kind of idiot to die for the sake of rock'n'roll

Leo

Here's a little drum box polka ditty from him and Jimi Tenor as your tune of the day:

own it! they used leftover album covers Jimi Tenor's "Sähkömies" album, unglued them, turned them inside out and printed this record cover on the blank side. when you look inside, you see the Jimi album cover, LOL.

woops

is not like other people
jimi tenor- i've never learned to love his records but i saw him live once at the astoria and he was like the ultimate showman. ultra charismatic in his big cape at the grand piano making mysterious pronouncements in finnish accent. big band with a brass section. at the end of the final number (these were definitely numbers) they all left the stage one by one, until it was just the baritone saxman standing on top of the piano keeping a one note rhythm going. exactly what you want to see when you go to see someone famous from another planet.

Leo

seems to me he needed some help quite urgently in his last days. i wonder why he never got it? he doesn't seem like the kind of idiot to die for the sake of rock'n'roll

yeah, it's tragic. remember reading he had a serious drinking problem, went on multiple-day benders, occasionally went missing for weeks. one time ended up living on the street in NYC with no idea how he got there from Finland, supposedly threw all his recording equipment into the river. I don't think he was doing the live-fast-die-young rock'n roll life, perhaps more like issues exacerbated by excessive drink.

Leo

yeah, I love the idea of Jimi tenor more than his actual music. his early sahko releases were pretty cool, "Sähkömies" and "Europa" (good lounge-y electronic there). was destined for bigger things at one point, signed to Warp worldwide and Matador in the US, there's some cool stuff on those albums but not great. I never got into his African collaborations.

it all started with take me baby

Last edited:

chava

yeah, it's tragic. remember reading he had a serious drinking problem, went on multiple-day benders, occasionally went missing for weeks. one time ended up living on the street in NYC with no idea how he got there from Finland, supposedly threw all his recording equipment into the river. I don't think he was doing the live-fast-die-young rock'n roll life, perhaps more like issues exacerbated by excessive drink.
I believe he had depression for a long while, and like all us northeners also had an unhealthy relationship with alcohol. I was pretty stoked when he passed, major major figure for me. I've spent mad $$ on his records over the years.

chava

yeah, I love the idea of Jimi tenor more than his actual music. his early sahko releases were pretty cool, "Sähkömies" and "Europa" (good lounge-y electronic there). was destined for bigger things at one point, singed to Warp worldwide and Matador in the US, there's some cool stuff on those albums but not great. I never got into his African collaborations.

it all started with take me baby

My favorite video: Jimi doing his thing in front of a couple thousand ravers at Mayday 1997. Absurd.

Reactions: Leo
Status
Not open for further replies.