I want to fall in love

chava

If you are up for it you can make people dance to this. You have then accomplished more than whatever electronica head ever did to push "difficult" electronic music. This by the way integrates the three levels of innovation mentioned in the electroacoustic thread quite nicely (acousmatics/sequencing/structure):

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
so corpse you're not even bourgeois? you're stuck in the wannabe bourgeois middle class like us with absolutely no historical future? either you come down with us or you become a property and landowner.

man, you got no future as well, embrace the post thirdformatic stress disorder.

chava

Yeah but the 303 phase is over whether fast or slow

But whoever did grooves likes this. Ambient industrial swampy techno :

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
and it's a bit ironic in this regard that outside of the states Theo Parrish plays almost exclusively to white people - I mean, I've seen the guy dj several times, he has the crates and the knowledge for sure, no question, but at the same time I'm thinking he must subconsciously tailor his sets to white soulboys on some respects - I know he tries to speak out against this but it falls a bit flat. Not saying this to invalidate his work in any shape or form...

Listen to Ron Hardy sets (sure you already have) and Theo makes perfect sense. He's continuing that lineage. You check any DJ who used to go and see Ron and I can guarantee he was one of their biggest influences as a DJ. He'd play the tracks faster than everyone else, beat them to shit and filter the fuck out of them. Theo is basically one of the closest guys you're gonna get to give you an idea of what it was like to see Ron. He doesn't play for white people. At all.

But I get what you mean and I've wondered the same thing about other black artists. Specifically 90s hip hop groups who still tour the world, like Wu Tang. But I wonder if they even care anymore.

paradoxically I don't get this feeling with rob hood, but then at his best his sets are nails and funky simultaneously.

Techno is different. But then his Floorplan stuff is overtly soulful.

Theo Parrish sometimes is a wizard with the filtering the shit out of records thing and sometimes he overeggs the pudding and shits himself.

Yeah. He gets a bit too into it. But nowhere near as bad as Joe Claussell, christ.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Now what? Hate on Theo AND Wolfgang in the same thread?!. You sure know how to trigger me.

Calm yourself to a mild panic, dude. I didn't hate on him as an artist. Just as a German. They love theorising about all kinds of shit which is much better left alone, undissected. Just make it, play it, dance to it and stfu. Like fucking villalobos, the amount of pseudo intellectual shit he spouts really rubs me the wrong way.

Although also compared the 909 to Goethe

No further questions, your honour.

Fwiw, big fan of Mike Ink and M:I5. GAS is a bit meh

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Let's shut this forum down then.

I'm talking about pseuds like Voight and Villalobo etc. Running their fucking mouths on techno, telling people what it is and should be as if they invented it. Would be way better off if they stuck to cool anecdotes and left the theorising to the likes of the dissensi.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
to be fair theo chats a lot of guff about healing white people but it accords with your mythos. and funk and mathematics is quite an old concept, i mean you lot cribbed that shit from al-farabi in the 9th century anyway.

like, let's be real here, the idea that non-western music is less intellectual itself is a colonial construct.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
as for slower abstract techno today the japanese are really good at djing it, esp dj nobu, can mix weird concrete and classical bits in with the steady 130 thump effortlessly.

chava

I'm talking about pseuds like Voight and Villalobo etc. Running their fucking mouths on techno, telling people what it is and should be as if they invented it. Would be way better off if they stuck to cool anecdotes and left the theorising to the likes of the dissensi.

If they have anything original to say (of course it is a rare feat) musicians should absolutely talk more about how they want techno or whatever to be. We need way more of those people to speak up. If you are engaged in art that's what you do, especially in a very collectivist practise like engaging in the 12" dance singles ecosystem or whatever todays equivalent. It is just not that many artist (musicians) that can/do that and so it is left it to us second guessers what they are *really* up to.

Whoever invented techno does not interest me at all. That story has been told.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty

David Foster Wallace

This, I think, is the stumbling block me and Luke and hardcore continuum people have with the Gilles types. We don't have a problem listening to the music he champions, often the 70s stuff we already sample, otherwise there would be no 94 jungle after all! It's the condescension, that us ruffnecks know nothing about soul and are unreceptive to cosmic truth. We too also grew up with black or black derived music and were dancing in early age. but we are excluded from that mythos.

Who's condescending you? Who's excluding you? Who's saying you're unreceptive? How are you ruffneck if you just admitted being middle class? I think if anything most 'ruffnecks' are not drawn to this type of music. Any that are have always been welcome in my experience. The jazz dance and peterson's community are basically wiggers man. All praises due to the black man for making the music that changed our lives. Of course there's a snooty side to some of it. But the same goes for UKG. There's always pockets of reserved table / bottle service people. This is not exclusive to the white privileged. I don't think many of gilles' fans are into the cosmic side of things. Shit, I don't think even gilles is tbh. He just likes the music.

Except this is what the jazzbos did to jungle! they squeezed all the ragga, all the belgian techno, all the break choppage out of it, just to fit their ideal platonic conception of black music. they were not listening to jungle in 93! this is the thing, what you say is correct to an extent but some of those people you cite are just as complicit in this gentrifying process. talking loud getting on jungle. great.

See I don't know much about this time but like wasn't LTJ a major proponent of this and was black? Genres evolve. You don't like it? Make something different. Do something about it. Don't blame the natural progression on phantoms. There's great jazzy jungle. And it's not always about making it palatable. As blissblog said in another thread. LTJ and crew came from house, hence their different approach. Can't speak about talking loud, don't really know much of their jungle output. Of course things get watered down. Happens to the best of genres. You can't keep the fires burning forever. Shit that burns the brightest fades the fastest etc.

to be fair theo chats a lot of guff

Full stop. I'd prefer it if he just played the music.

about healing white people

Have never heard him say this and I'm a nerd when it comes to interviews with all those guys

like, let's be real here, the idea that non-western music is less intellectual itself is a colonial construct.

I never said that. Don't twist my words man. If anything it's the other way around. You can't come up with sick assed polyrhythms and polymeters and all the rest of the non western oveure if you're a dunce. You think I don't get that?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Listen to Ron Hardy sets (sure you already have) and Theo makes perfect sense. He's continuing that lineage. You check any DJ who used to go and see Ron and I can guarantee he was one of their biggest influences as a DJ. He'd play the tracks faster than everyone else, beat them to shit and filter the fuck out of them. Theo is basically one of the closest guys you're gonna get to give you an idea of what it was like to see Ron. He doesn't play for white people. At all.

Nah, That's Jamal Moss. theo won't play much industrial or even thugged out acid or hard free jazz. I've seen him do all nighters and I've seen Jamal do all nighters and there's a world of difference imo. Theo is definitely more detroit house, bit more cool and composed, Jamal is just out there bringing the intergallactic gospel to everyone, heard him play weird italian shit that noone knows about into straight disco. the guy is super, super underacknowledged in my book. I love his sloppy redlining mixing as well, makes it feel like you're cramped. it's cyberghetto.

Techno is different. But then his Floorplan stuff is overtly soulful.

Ah yeah but Ron Hardy is the first techno dj alongside being a house originator. that's the thing, he broke those detroit cats through. It's not politically correct to say so but that hard core substance-influenced working class club was where May et al's music went down the hardest and first. otherwise they would have probably remained local to the 313. like the electrifying mojo et al was very important for detroit but really not other parts of America, much less Chicago and New York. Hot mix 5 even in its 80s hayday was a much, much bigger phenomenon, people were even trying to get tapes imported to uk.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
If they have anything original to say (of course it is a rare feat) musicians should absolutely talk more about how they want techno or whatever to be

Agreed just not happening that much.

Whoever invented techno does not interest me at all. That story has been told.

Sure but there's a surprising amount of new to the scene kids who think it was all invented in Berlin and that rubs me the wrong way

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
David Foster Wallace

oh i don't deal with these people. never even done cocaine with them.

Who's condescending you? Who's excluding you? Who's saying you're unreceptive? How are you ruffneck if you just admitted being middle class? I think if anything most 'ruffnecks' are not drawn to this type of music. Any that are have always been welcome in my experience.

You do know that hood or ruffneck aesthetics aren't exclusive to working class people in poc communities right? like there's a clear difference between my middle class and corpse's, I'm a late comer, we only got middle class in the last 10 years, and even then I'm only middle class because my family are doing economically fine. otherwise I'm still having to pay off some twats morguage with my disability benefits... It's not like i was schooled in Dostoevsky or Nabokov, though doubtless had my family been here for a few generations I'd be more grounded in that stuff.

As for not being welcome, i'm a man of all trades and that's no problem. it's just not my type of crowd. i can certainly go there and dance, but it feels like I stick out like a sore thumb. when i started noticing this in techno as well I decided to knock it on the head. no point listening to much good to average music to see the one act who I'm really looking forward to for 8 hours.

The jazz dance and peterson's community are basically wiggers man. All praises due to the black man for making the music that changed our lives. Of course there's a snooty side to some of it. But the same goes for UKG.

yeah, i don't like wiggers and that's also why I can never be a full believer in UKG. in jungle there was all that vip champagne stuff but it was more a classy thing as opposed to the driver.