Online Alternatives

version

Do you make a conscious effort to avoid using Google, Amazon and the rest or just accept that they're the dominant force at this point and go for convenience?

version

It is. I just buy everything from Amazon. I don't trust anyone else. If it isn't on Amazon then I'm not supposed to have it.

firefinga

Well, I am still using Firefox. Have been using Linux for a while, but got myself a new Laptop one year or so back and it came with Win10. Am not bothered with changing that.

I dropped Apple products a couple years ago. IMO, Apple today (or since a few years, basically when they declared the I-Phone to be their Alpha + Omega) Apple is a shittier company than Microsoft ever was (regarding "ethics" - of course, it's capitalism where the only profit counts). It's just I don't wanna be ripped off in the end.

I rarely buy books or recorded media anyways much these days, however I (partly) substitute amazon with ebay. I search a certain product on amazon, do the same on ebay and simply buy the cheaper offer. Often, it's being offered even by the same shop (however a bit cheaper on ebay).

version

Have been using Linux for a while, but got myself a new Laptop one year or so back and it came with Win10. Am not bothered with changing that.

Which Linux distribution are you using? I was thinking of making the switch from Windows as they're dropping support for Windows 7 soon and I'm not keen on the direction Microsoft are heading in.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
I've got sp1 and that's it. No antivirus installed ever. Just keep backup images of your c drive once a month or whatever if you're really worried. I don't even do that anymore

version

It is. I just buy everything from Amazon. I don't trust anyone else. If it isn't on Amazon then I'm not supposed to have it.

I snapped out of this a while back and try to buy things second hand from eBay or direct from the company nowadays. There've been more mistakes with deliveries and longer waits, but I've saved money and less of what I do spend goes to Amazon.

william_kent

I briefly gave up on amazon when the delivery drivers just deposited my expensive orders in the foyer of the tower block where I live, luckily no one stole my parcels and even if they did they'd be disappointed, but now that I can nominate the corner shop around the corner as a delivery spot I've started ordering from them again

Since Book Depository went bust my recent orders for books ordered off eBay have mostly been rip off scams

version

I briefly gave up on amazon when the delivery drivers just deposited my expensive orders in the foyer of the tower block where I live, luckily no one stole my parcels and even if they did they'd be disappointed, but now that I can nominate the corner shop around the corner as a delivery spot I've started ordering from them again

Since Book Depository went bust my recent orders for books ordered off eBay have mostly been rip off scams

World of Books are pretty good and have an eBay store, although Amazon have a habit of buying up companies like that and keeping the branding intact so you don't know it's them. I find individual sellers who post an actual photo of the item are reliable too.

william_kent

'books-etc" on eBay are the latest ones I have had to lodge a complaint with, I don't normally bother when it's under £10 but this was a £37 book that never arrived and I'm pissed off

version

'books-etc" on eBay are the latest ones I have had to lodge a complaint with, I don't normally bother when it's under £10 but this was a £37 book that never arrived and I'm pissed off

What was their customer feedback page like? I only order from people with a decent rating.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I snapped out of this a while back and try to buy things second hand from eBay or direct from the company nowadays. There've been more mistakes with deliveries and longer waits, but I've saved money and less of what I do spend goes to Amazon.
Yeah I feel the same way. The few things I order online now, like used books, I get from ebay.

I use Ecosia as a search engine, which uses proceeds to plant trees, and I use Arc as a browser, just because its cool.