Pretty Book Covers

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
i feel like the oldest covers are always the nicest? and that with every new edition they become more boring and generic, could that be?

version

Some great ones here:

mixed_biscuits

sufi

lala
iu

version

i feel like the oldest covers are always the nicest? and that with every new edition they become more boring and generic, could that be?

It's rare I see a new edition and rate the cover. There tends to be more variety and personality amongst the older stuff. I get the impression the designers and artists were given more breathing room. That, or I just don't like current cover styles and the old ones have taken on a new life after crossing the time barrier.

martin

----
I nicked this edition from a library at 15 after months of renewing it - not saying that to sound cool (it was selfish), but I didn't know that one day you'd be able to find 10 of 'em on eBay. The cover sums up how I felt as a teen - sucked into a vortex of raging hormones, every filthy thought a gripping satyric epic. Baudelaire was great too.

20231005_220839.jpg

Paul Hogarth was illustrating the Penguin Shakespeare books by the time I did King Lear and Measure For Measure for my A-levels - I always liked this one he did for Macbeth, suits the goth vibe.

1715492201_21ca065244_o.jpg

Talking of Scots creating bloody mayhem...

IMG.jpg

SF Masterworks did some really horrible jobs on their PKD reissues - I have their version of Ubik, which looks more like a fucking Dr Who novella. I reckon they did OK with this one, though, which could also have been a G illustration on a fold-out Crass cover (but the text placement's hideous)

9781473223479.jpg

Finally, welcome to the Last Sufist Pub Session At The End Of Time (1890s edition)

30922128269.jpg

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
@thirdform below is the cover of the book ince memed 1. i have a copy in dutch with a different cover, do you happen to know what artist made the original cover art?

memed.jpg