version

Can't find it now, but I'm sure I read Harris in one of the intros claim the phrase 'From a Land of Grass Without Mirrors' came from or was a cut-up of Rimbaud or Eliot or someone.

Benny Bunter

Can't find it now, but I'm sure I read Harris in one of the intros claim the phrase 'From a Land of Grass Without Mirrors' came from or was a cut-up of Rimbaud or Eliot or someone.
Apparently it's from TS Eliot's translation of a poem called Anabasis by St John Perse.

Which I haven't read or know anything about so...

Benny Bunter

I thought he associated grey with 'junk sickness' in at least one book, so I'm not sure.
That's not necessarily contrary to what I thought it was though. That chapter seems to be him going through fevered withdrawal dreams, possibly after a recent relapse or near relapse?

version

When I read that bit, I thought he was moving through bodies.

Lee woke in other flesh the lookout different -

In The Soft Machine he's able to switch bodies and inhabit other people, 'The Mayan Caper' involves him taking a boy's body to move back in time then taking control of a priest.

version

That's not necessarily contrary to what I thought it was though. That chapter seems to be him going through fevered withdrawal dreams, possibly after a recent relapse or near relapse?

Yeah, I'm re-reading it now and I think you're right. He's having withdrawal dreams and being bombarded with images. He also wakes up and shits himself, presumably because the opiate constipation's worn off.

Benny Bunter

Then he gets tempted by a sexual encounter but uses a grey screen or something and resists, arrests the nova criminal, who leaves behind an empty host body that's like a mannequin - or something like that (haven't got the book in front of me now )

version

It's remarkable how embedded he became in pop culture, music in particular. If there's any truth to the suggestion he was CIA then he's a seriously bizarre success story. His fingerprints are everywhere. Bunch of punks, poets and artists worshiping at the altar of a grey old bigoted Harvard man in a suit.

version

I've always thought of 'thru' and 'sus' as fairly modern, the way people talk online, but both have appeared in this book from the 60s. I suppose I wouldn't be surprised if he'd coined them too.

malelesbian

Femboyism IS feminism.
Does anyone remember the part in The Ticket that Exploded where he seems to describe audio sampling? Very prescient.

Benny Bunter

A Distant Thank You - it's heavily cut up so hard to tell, but I'm thinking this section in NE appears to be primarily about colonialism, the New World. Any thoughts? Was thinking that similar themes are probably in his other work like soft machine.

Lots of stuff about the Mayans and Incas and the lemur people, and bulldozers

Benny Bunter

The section in Nova Express called 'A Distant Thank You' is really good. Seems to be a conversation between an upper class couple who hire Burroughs and Ian Sommerville to remodel their property. A complete change of tone, almost leisurely.
Aha, just seen this post. It really did put me in mind of one of those TV programs that are so popular nowadays where they redecorate someone's house, or they buy a property somewhere and do it over - but the "House" in this case seems to be an entire civilisation/ecosystem.

Again, so prescient.

Benny Bunter

The bulldozers move in, everything gets swept away and chucked down a hole, and whatever remains of the indigenous fauna is turned into a zoo.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I wasn't aware Gysin was a bad influence as much as he was a good one until reading the Soft Machine notes the other day. Apparently he encouraged the anti-semitism and misogyny that peaked in Burroughs' stuff around the time of the cut-ups.
Didnt Burroughs think women were borne of some embryological genetic error or something? I heard him making that argument in a lecture, answering angry questions, but I don’t know if he was serious. This the sort of thing that came from Gysins influence?

version

He famously published an essay titled 'Women: A Biological Mistake?' where he argued humans were trapped at a larval stage and that the division of the sexes was arbitrary and they should perhaps fuse for the sake of evolution.

Here's a bit about Gysin's negative influence from Harris on The Soft Machine,

The 1961 Soft Machine included one brief but telling reference to "fraud Freud and Einstein," although this was dropped from later editions and little else would remain in his published work to indicate Burroughs' deplorable subscription to the International Jewish-Communist conspiracy.* Critics have preferred to turn a blind eye to it, but the anti-Semitism in his work at the time and an equally ugly misogyny were encouraged by Gysin, and represented the dark side of Burroughs' self-declared megalomania, his missionary conviction of having discovered the secret weapon to combat a conspiracy of conspiracies. The Burroughs of unchecked paranoia was no "Friendly Prophet."

*That this phrasing originates in openly anti-Semitic material is clear from several 1960 texts, including: "I RUB OUT THE WORDS OF MARX LENIN EINSTEIN FREUD FRAUD FOREVER. I RUB OUT THE WORD JEW FOREVER."

version

The cut-up period was supposedly the point at which he was most unhinged and got deep into Scientology, also via Gysin.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The cut-up period was supposedly the point at which he was most unhinged and got deep into Scientology, also via Gysin.
To what extent, do you think, was Burroughs into Scientology for the practical purpose of getting off the smack with their techniques, or was there some ideological attraction there? It's hard not to see a parallel between the Nova Criminals and Hubbard's Thetans.

william_kent

To what extent, do you think, was Burroughs into Scientology for the practical purpose of getting off the smack with their techniques, or was there some ideological attraction there? It's hard not to see a parallel between the Nova Criminals and Hubbard's Thetans.

There was a book from about ten years ago that alleges WSB was “clear” but got kicked out of the “church” circa 1969

It’s on my amazon wish list but I still haven’t got around to buying or reading it, so I can’t comment any further

If I wasn’t on holiday and had access to my “stacks” I could probably stump up some quotes but early onset dementia and an inability to control this stupid apple device I brought with me precludes any of that

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There was a book from about ten years ago that alleges WSB was “clear” but got kicked out of the “church” circa 1969

It’s on my amazon wish list but I still haven’t got around to buying or reading it, so I can’t comment any further

If I wasn’t on holiday and had access to my “stacks” I could probably stump up some quotes but early onset dementia and an inability to control this stupid apple device I brought with me precludes any of that
Eh, I'd just enjoy my hols if I were you.