Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
My fav. of Carpenter's are Prince of Darkness and The Thing.

Not seen the first one but The Thing is incomparable. Wasn't there a remake a few years ago? Can't have been a patch on the original. I love those old-skool latex-and-slime SFX.

version

There was a prequel covering the Norwegian team they find the remains of in the previous one and they actually did it all with practical effects then the studio forced them to CGI over it and people on the internet are still struggling to come to terms with it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
What's Germany's secret, then? Their death rate as a percentage of diagnosed cases is an order of magnitude lower than UK, France, Italy and Spain (~1.5% compared to 8-12%), which can be put down to widespread and accurate testing, but the absolute numbers look very low too, especially when you consider it's Europe's largest country. Natural Teutonic obedience means people are taking social distancing more seriously, or what? I'd be interested to get yyaldrin's and patty's take on this.

droid

What's Germany's secret, then? Their death rate as a percentage of diagnosed cases is an order of magnitude lower than UK, France, Italy and Spain (~1.5% compared to 8-12%), which can be put down to widespread and accurate testing, but the absolute numbers look very low too, especially when you consider it's Europe's largest country. Natural Teutonic obedience means people are taking social distancing more seriously, or what? I'd be interested to get yyaldrin's and patty's take on this.

The stuff you mention, plus they have a shitload of ICU beds and acted just quickly enough, and also, to some degree, luck.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
hey hey droid, he said me and yyaldrin!

a friend of mine currently studying to be a doctor told me the other day that it's to do with the stuff you mention, plus a surplus of icu beds and luck.

and yeah, the people generally listen to the government. they tend to act more responsibly on average than a lot of europe. sometimes the stereotypes are an advantage.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think that's part of it.
There is this guy we know who is half-German and half-Ghanan... but he's really the most German person you can imagine. He parties hard but even on day three or whatever he does it in this very regimented way. I'm not knocking it at all but he injects this welcome dose of organisation into all the fun. You know, no-one gonna knock anything over or whatever under his watchful eye.

IdleRich

IdleRich
At times you're like shall I... and then you see his smiling, happy, fucked up... but underneath it all, potentially disapproving face.. and you think, best not.

version

Anyone think there's been a concerted effort to shift blame away from the government and onto the public? I've just seen a clip on Sky News asking whether people are ignoring the social distancing guidelines, everyone interviewed seemed to be following them and everyone in the background seemed to be following them but Sky ran the story anyway as though it was up in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.