Status
Not open for further replies.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
The Heat and the Light.

Didn’t believe the headline when it appeared, but Orange ball man surpasses all rational boundaries of logic.

The Heat and the Light.

john eden

male pale and stale
Looks like the push to reopen businesses is ramping up.

Valuing the economy over workers.

EC8C38EC-F728-40EF-B641-330CA21414F4.jpeg

Pearson is a Telegraph columnist:

77843947-5B99-4302-9591-D2BFA3782615.jpeg

690C8614-0709-4A05-80E1-60FB768B36CC.jpeg

version

I wonder whether Pearson's taken it upon herself to stir shit up or whether the papers are being given the nod to start pushing back against the lockdown to help the government lift it.

droid

That NY antibody test mentioned above does give us some interesting data that we can use to extrapolate actual cases. Their findings are that there are 2.7 million people infected in NY, an approximate 10 fold increase on the official number of 287,245, which give a case fatality rate of about .7% (instead of 7.3%), which is in line with the estimated range of 0.6-1.2.

If we take that CFR and apply it to other countries it should give us a reasonable estimate of actual cases. So for the UK, the FT is now saying there have been about 42,000 excess deaths, which gives us a range of about 3.5 - 6 million actual cases in the UK rather than the current total of around 150,000.

In Ireland at around 1000 deaths it means an actual infection rate of 70-12000 instead of the official number of 20,000.

Sounds crazy but the NY study seems fairly reliable in terms of methodology and sample size and it means that the vast majority of cases were either mild or asymptomatic - which is good news.

droid

They're allowed go shopping, so not lockdown breakers per se, and they're well aware of the limitations, but the sample size was 3000, selection was random across the entire state and antibody prevalence seems to correlate well with population density, so as these things go its about as good as we're gonna get. It'll be interesting to see the final results.

IdleRich

IdleRich
So no daily briefing today from Trump... seems that yesterday was the final straw for his advisors or whatever. How will the US get by without it though?

IdleRich

IdleRich
In any normal time that would be the dumbest thing you've seen/heard for ages... but it doesn't even make the top ten in this crazy world.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
What's weird is that the Venn diagram for hardcore Brexiteers and people who want the lockdown over ASAP (or think it should never have been imposed in the first place) is virtually a circle. So the very people insisting on leaving the EU despite the massive economic costs are now joined in a chorus of "But, but - the economy!!!", which is suddenly the most important thing there is.

IdleRich

IdleRich
So big bad Boris is back in control.... let's see how he fucks it up this time. Word is he's gonna start reducing the controls this week. Does anyone know what the procedure is going to be? Given that (for some reason) everyone asks about the "exit strategy" at every possible opportunity and they've never given a proper answer, I'm guessing there isn't one... so Johnson will just wing it I suppose.
People are guessing that it will start relaxing here... more shops open and hairdressers (which would be the last one for me along with massage parlours maybe - how you gonna social distance while cutting someone's hair?) and stuff... what will the rule be about going to see your friends though? I miss people.

Leo

people are treating lockdown as if it's a naughty schoolboy who misbehaved and was suspended. He's served his time, learned his lesson and is now allowed to go back to class.

the virus doesn't know or care about timelines and economic feasibility studies. this shit ain't going away just Boris thinks John lewis can start reopening.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah that's exactly it... when I was saying the other day that leaders were basically going "Everyone's bored of this (including us) so let's fucking re-open" - I don't think that's the best criterion of those available... thing is it's happening almost everywhere and in fact you can see the thinking "Austria's doing it, no fair, I'm doing it too!" - I'd really hoped (though not expected any more) a better level of policy making from the world's statesmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.