catalog

He would get called a cuck!

There's definitely an "incel" quality to his work but I'm not sure he would be anything but a writer if he were around today.

Cos to me the overall main thing is what he does with words and language.

Although that chapter that was my favourite, he's doing something different there. It has this ideas/abstraction quality to it, so maybe a designer of some sort would be a good guess?

He was relatively conventional in his marriage and family and did travel through Europe widely, so the idea that he would have migrated/travelled seems pretty plausible. And he was relatively self assured and well connected in terms of work, though always skint, so I see him as writing for a high grade lit magazine or something.

But thd main thing which sets him apart is the 1000 page novel, then followed up with the madness of finnegans wake. I mean, it's an astounding achievement.

linebaugh

The Oxen of the Sun section is maddening. Feels like Im having a stroke, like it was written by some still in development AI

catalog

Ah, think i know which one... I totally missed that this was even about pregnancy. the whole thing seemed to pass me by

"Joyce wrote “Oxen” with a medical diagram of embryonic development on his desk, and he drafted the episode in nine notebooks, each containing its own section of the chapter to correspond with one of the nine months of gestation. Hugh Kenner has pointed out that the episode consists of forty paragraphs, corresponding to the forty weeks of pregnancy (Kenner 14). Building on the meaning of this correspondence to pregnancy, Richard Ellmann explains that “Joyce’s scheme for the episode included minor as well as major imitations of the birth process. One of these was the idea, communicated in a letter to Budgen, that Bloom is the spermatozoon, the nurse the ovum, the hospital the womb, and Stephen the embryo” (Ellmann 136). Tindall takes that notion one step further, claiming that “fertilized by Bloom, embryonic Stephen may develop to the point of rebirth” (Tindall 200). In other words, we have spent the first two thirds of this novel learning what Bloom has to offer and what Stephen needs; the last third of Ulysses will concern itself largely with the cross-fertilization between this lost son with this sonless father."

linebaugh

It mellowed out about halfway through the chapter. If its supposed to be the embryonic development of the english language I must be reading the foetus now. The beginning of the chapter is a direct translation from latin with no effort to anglicize or make work grammatically.

catalog

I remember when I had finished the book, my mate asked me about this section and I literally had no idea what he was talking about. Like I didn't recall it at all.

I think I go through hundreds of pages of big books totally missing stuff. Basically not reading, just getting by.

version

It's Stephen, Bloom and some other guys arsing about in the maternity ward whilst someone's wife has a baby. Bloom's keeping an eye on Stephen.

version

I think I go through hundreds of pages of big books totally missing stuff. Basically not reading, just getting by.
That's happening with me and Fanged Noumena atm. The second essay's on Trakl and Heidegger and I've no clue what's going on really. I recognise words and whatnot, but I'm so ignorant of philosophy and the language he's using that huge chunks just pass me by.

This sort of thing just leaves me with vague impressions,

"The question of strata can insinuate itself into every word of Trakl's text, because it is at the 'core' of any rigorous graphematics. Each stratum is a dimension of dispersion, flattened like a spiral galaxy. This flatness is just as crucial to the study of intensities as the trajectories traced within it, since the stratification or stacking of organizational levels is the basic form of any possible energetic surplus, the irreducible or final principle of 'real form': redundancy. Each stratum has its specific 'negentropy' or positive range of compositions, 'selecting' only a relatively narrow series of combinations from the stock of elements generated by its substrate. A stratum thus inherits an aggregate 'degree of difference' or grammar, distinguishing it from a certain potentiality of 'randomness' (unproblematic reducibility into its substrate). This stratification of intensive positivities, which is most clearly indexed by the successive unities of letter, word, sentence, etc. that are precipitated out of a common 'graphic plasma' or semiotic substance within alphabetical regimes, is the only rigorous basis for an architectronics of the sign. Only because of such a graphic redundancy - for example, that stored in the difference between letter and word - between the words an alphabet makes possible and those which are realized - can energy be unevenly distributed within a stratum, and intensities generated."

wektor

Tom McCarthy said if joyce were alive today he would have foregone art to work at google but a smarter thing to say is that he'd be a gamer.
what games would joyce play? I highly doubt he'd be into something as ambitious as Kojima's works, more like a casual afternoon call of duty player

wektor

"The question of strata can insinuate itself into every word of Trakl's text, because it is at the 'core' of any rigorous graphematics. Each stratum is a dimension of dispersion, flattened like a spiral galaxy. This flatness is just as crucial to the study of intensities as the trajectories traced within it, since the stratification or stacking of organizational levels is the basic form of any possible energetic surplus, the irreducible or final principle of 'real form': redundancy. Each stratum has its specific 'negentropy' or positive range of compositions, 'selecting' only a relatively narrow series of combinations from the stock of elements generated by its substrate. A stratum thus inherits an aggregate 'degree of difference' or grammar, distinguishing it from a certain potentiality of 'randomness' (unproblematic reducibility into its substrate). This stratification of intensive positivities, which is most clearly indexed by the successive unities of letter, word, sentence, etc. that are precipitated out of a common 'graphic plasma' or semiotic substance within alphabetical regimes, is the only rigorous basis for an architectronics of the sign. Only because of such a graphic redundancy - for example, that stored in the difference between letter and word - between the words an alphabet makes possible and those which are realized - can energy be unevenly distributed within a stratum, and intensities generated."
It looks like the stuff bots write when you feed them books, with occasional made up extra terms thrown in.
prophet of Nu! prophet of the GI upset caused by those delicious gelatinous bombs of death. I immediately downed 2 doses of Immodium, anticipating the storm. I had hit someone while driving.

version

"Warily, Malachi whispered, preserve a druid silence. His soul is far away. It is as painful perhaps to be awakened from a vision as to be born. Any object, intensely regarded, may be a gate of access to the incorruptible eon of the gods. Do you not think it, Stephen? Theosophos told me so, Stephen answered, whom in a previous existence Egyptian priests initiated into the mysteries of karmic law. The lords of the moon, Theosophos told me, an orange-fiery shipload from planet Alpha of the lunar chain, would not assume the etheric doubles and these were therefore incarnated by the ruby-coloured egos from the second constellation."

:love:

linebaugh

Nearing the end of the book- as it turns out Ulysess is a 600 page set up for an older swinging couple's grooming of a vulnerable college kid.