version

In long lassoes from the Cock lake the water flowed full,

'Lake', 'water' and 'flow' seem better suited to pissing than wanking. He keeps mentioning the colour green too. There's also the mentions of death and 'urinous offal'.

I think he's pissing into the tide.

linebaugh

the whole chapter is about water and the Aristotelian liquid substrate of all things though so its not unlikely it would corrupt his thoughts on jizzing

linebaugh

In long lassoes from the Cock lake the water flowed full,

'Lake', 'water' and 'flow' seem better suited to pissing than wanking. He keeps mentioning the colour green too. There's also the mentions of death and 'urinous offal'.

I think he's pissing into the tide.
reading the phrase 'cock lake' and going 'See! it says lake!'

Benny Bunter

Thinking it's just a piss is so basic a take imo. In the notes at the back of my copy it only mentions he has a piss and I was like what?! There's far more to it than that!

version

Thinking it's just a piss is so basic a take imo. In the notes at the back of my copy it only mentions he has a piss and I was like what?! There's far more to it than that!

The book's full of waste. People pissing, shitting, farting, picking their nose. It's not all about sex. I don't think Joyce privileged wanking over any other bodily function. That's part of what's so groundbreaking about the book. He shows all these mundane material functions of the body and puts them on the same plane as everything else.

Benny Bunter

Given the title and theme of the episode, I wouldn't be surprised to learn it's written somewhat ambiguously so that it can change throughout a reading / readings.
I dunno, I think it has to be either one or the other, and there are plenty of clues even if it's not explicitly clear.

Benny Bunter

Then straight afterwards he thinks of death, a quiver of minnows eating the dead man's knob through his trousers. Another clue I reckon

version

Stephen's all mind. I don't know that him thinking of sex necessarily translates into anything physical. Maybe Joyce is commenting on that by having him thinking about sex (life) whilst pissing (death). A parody of ejaculation. The mind disconnected from the body.