Sly & The Family Stone vs. Funkadelic

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blissblogger

funny you should do this poll because i was going to add on the Funk Is Cancelled thread that i've been listening to Sly & Family constantly the last couple of weeks so da funk is very much uncancelled in this household

funkadelic / parliament are a lot more erratic quality wise - but the other day i heard "Flashlight" on the radio and it sounded fantastic, seemed to be about five different synth layers squelching away. when they were good they were superbad but when they weren't they were just plain bad. .

version

Arthur Lee's Love are always floating around in the background when I think of Sly & The Family Stone. There's a dark psychedelia to the two for me, bad trip sort of thing.

forclosure

Finally a poll i can chip into

Sly Stone is a legend and Theres a Riot goin on is a great encaptulation of that burned out bleakness post flower power

but Parliament/Funkadelic its funk as an entire universe they could be as joyous as Sly and "March to the witches castle" could just be as bleak and burned out as any of those acid casualty psychedelic rock bands

also to refute a point that luka made ages ago Clinton is nowhere near a black Zappa because hes too self aware and winking hes more like High John the Conquerer or any of those trickster spirits from African mythology and his autobiography is great

forclosure

funny you mention Love i revisited 7 & 7 is for the first time in years that songs still chaotic in a way alot of "garage rock" from that era isnt

version

I like Sly more on paper, but I can't work out which I actually prefer. Eddie Hazel's the big draw for me with Funkadelic.

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

I love sky stone melodies that just evaporate. These feeble gestures that just dissipate. Where lust becomes surrender

version

I bought that CD after hearing it was this seminal album and only really listened to Family Affair for ages, but it grew on me. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I remember thinking it was a bit subdued and not too memorable when I first heard it. It was something I had to work at. An acquired taste.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
I like Sly more on paper, but I can't work out which I actually prefer. Eddie Hazel's the big draw for me with Funkadelic.

Sebastian Fjorn
3 years ago
i was listening to this song while driving in the middle of the night, and a sneaking feeling washed over me.
i felt truly connected to everything in the universe, that we were all one, that there is some great beyond maybe someday we'll discover that changes our very own perceptions as humans. i pulled to the side of the highway and cried. laughed and cranked the volume.

:love: