Slothrop

Tight but Polite
In addition to what's already been mentioned:

Prodigy - Experience
LFO - Frequencies
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Arab Strap - Week Never Starts Round Here
The Orb - Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld

This does feel exactly like I'd expect "best UK albums of the 90s" to feel, though.

the ig

Talk Talk - Laughing Stock (needs no intro, one that would carry over to all time faves)

Movietone S/T (if thine fi whilst be lo, do it with fragility, genuine accident, delicacy, charm)

FSA - Distance (singles etc comp but my fave, so there...)

Crescent - Now (more from that brstl diy crew, a hidden gem, like postrock reaching back towards sonic youth style noiserock, but playing it as splashy rough fire music)

Reload - A Collection of Short Stories (bit techno-from-before-i-really-got-techno, but still stands up)

Tricky x3 + 'Nearly God' (think made myself amply clear on that subject elsewhere)

Selected Ambient Works 1 & 2 (obvs, but hated it when he went all spaffy drill'n'titz)

A Guy Called Gerald - Black Secret Technology (hot pressure thrills, lonely and high, one of few truly great album format dance things, but so much needs remaster and repress to 3x12", my copy mostly doesn't cut through properly sonically)

Mark Hollis - Mark Hollis (not forgetting...really does sound like next step on from 'laughing stock', even more hushed and close, candle light and inky blackness, so very good..)

Surgeon - basictonalvocabulary (title says it all, perhaps the techno 'artist album' approach that works best: stay focused and single minded with controlled variations of mood/style, keep quality high and make it all dancefloor worthy, don't trade intensity/funktionality for showing fatuous 'multifaceted musical personality')

The Advent - Elements of Life (thrilling restless relentless dusky techno rhapsody, a masterpiece, place in the sun for brit techno right there..)

Bandulu - Guidance (just-off-high febrile beauty, rave and detroit influences to fore before they went bit bore-snore)

'loveless' never sunk in weirdly, but ep 12"s 'soon' 'you made me realise' etc v much did.
wish could be cool enough to have 'd. i. go pop', and 'the 4 cornered room' on this, but those guys still upcoming as i write..

Last edited:

the ig

Robert Wyatt - Shleep (oldsters continuity-greatness crew, what an omission, what a gorgeous thing..)

oh sorry somewhat abused thread rules there. but deleted a few...

Last edited: