rave era as recapitulation of the sixties

kumar

people clocked various aspects of the co-option of "the sixties" from the get go but even 30 years later it was arguably a less cynical more optimistic time than now in some ways. i mean for any responsible adult who's smashed the conceptual prison of linear time the kernels of the current state of the world were present in the "revolutuonary" "fervour" of those periods. red bull music academy might not have existed in 88 but acid wasn't powerful enough by itself to prevent it down the line.

catalog

I wouldn’t assume a 3rd wave. Social media has decimated the means by which pre-internet, organically derived, cultural coalescing gained traction. Flash mobs or whatever it’s called? Gtfo. Not saying it’s impossible, but rhythm & drum programming may not offer the answers.

Yeah perhaps social media is the (depressing) tech change, rather than anything as old fashioned as a drum machine. i do wonder about the impact our relatively new ability to instantly share and so on has had on cultural production. i keep saying it to everyone, but i feel like we're going to reach a point soon where people will pay you to read or listen to what they are doing. the cultural object, the artifact or whatever, its reaching a point where it can't really be sustained for any legitimate reason.

and with the pandemic, it's like social media tooled right up, like yyaldrin was saying. who needs real life sort of thing.

is the next stage more of an evolutionary rhing? disembodiment? if so, its probably a while off. it's like we are now in new dark ages.

so we'll have to put up with conceptronica for a bit longer probably

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
its not even. beatles fans were steve jobbs type dropouts and venture capitalists. sure you had organised existing crime firms get involved in rave but that was the extent of it. as philosophies they were orthogonal. there was no dropping out in rave, unless you were a goa nutcase. it was about speeding up and rinsing leisure time. hippies wanted more leisure time to slow down.

Take it you never had it at any traveler sites.

the parallel is that deadheads ended up at goa trance.

Flakes ended up at Goa trance, not deadheads. Progressive, fluro, rancid end of the road comedowns, trustifarians with dreds, public school idiots looking for a permanent holiday culture.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Flakes ended up at Goa trance, not deadheads. Progressive, fluro, rancid end of the road comedowns, trustifarians with dreds, public school idiots looking for a permanent holiday culture.

Yep, those are deadheads. never met any other type.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the same old hoary jam band records, a preoccupation with prog rock, half baked spiritual conspiracy theories and cultural rape, lsd for elitist pseudo-enlightenment, the parallels between goa heads and deadheads are far more apparent than any tenuous link of hardcore rave to the 60s.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
I mean have you been to Goa? Israelis made up a huge contingent, Lebanese. Agree the prolapse that occurred under that banner here in the UK mostly being white, but ......you get my point.

kumar

my uncle and all his punjabi mates in southall exclusively went to goa trance nights throughout the nineties

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I mean have you been to Goa? Israelis made up a huge contingent, Lebanese. Agree the prolapse that occurred under that banner here in the UK mostly being white, but ......you get my point.

well, without getting some people to blow their load on this thread, Israelis are essentially white illegal occupiers.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
my uncle and all his punjabi mates in southall exclusively went to goa trance nights throughout the nineties

this can't be true. I'm not South Asian but I'm Turkish-Kurd and all my mates from Iraq, Egypt et al think its a steaming pile of piss.

Woebot

The Man does not want you to have fun.

[nowadays] i'm less interested in the dionysan aspects of it. more the "out" dynamic - out and up. away from the lower plane.

not really interested in the whole drug/dance aspect of it. that was just the icing on the cake i reckon. people decided they were going wild. i went to plenty of raves without taking pills. the whole atmosphere was the true high. people sweating. heaving. blowing whistles.

i think if it happens it will happen like luke hinted at it the dematerialisation thread. without drugs in all likelihood. people discovering they are "insane" - floating high. not grounded.

self-isolation is the same as sensory deprivation. the precondition to that journey out. to that extent it could well be the catalyst.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Yeah perhaps social media is the (depressing) tech change, rather than anything as old fashioned as a drum machine. i do wonder about the impact our relatively new ability to instantly share and so on has had on cultural production. i keep saying it to everyone, but i feel like we're going to reach a point soon where people will pay you to read or listen to what they are doing. the cultural object, the artifact or whatever, its reaching a point where it can't really be sustained for any legitimate reason.

and with the pandemic, it's like social media tooled right up, like yyaldrin was saying. who needs real life sort of thing.

is the next stage more of an evolutionary rhing? disembodiment? if so, its probably a while off. it's like we are now in new dark ages.

so we'll have to put up with conceptronica for a bit longer probably

Well said & quite disturbing if you let those ideas seep in. There was a William Burroughs piece about millions of images of “me”, then Instagram arrived. Hey-ho! YouTube already has this pay bs promoting master classes with Mr Famous. Intimate learning with a guru for a few hundred quid. Lazy capitalism laid bare. If everything like Facefuck & Twitter (why gods, why?) were extinguished, if “likes” were swapped for active participation, I’d hold out more hope but possibly too old now to recognise an unfolding if it happened anyway. Disembodied lives equate to video games in lots of ways. Haven’t really indulged that world since Golden Eye. Time to dust off the N64!

the same old hoary jam band records, a preoccupation with prog rock, half baked spiritual conspiracy theories and cultural rape, lsd for elitist pseudo-enlightenment, the parallels between goa heads and deadheads are far more apparent than any tenuous link of hardcore rave to the 60s.

Ok, a few queries to unpick here, fuck all personal btw. Firstly, the “rave” years included a lot more than hardcore. House comes to mind. Whether you like that music (outside of hardcore) or not is irrelevant, it continues in lots of ways too. House has braved every conceivable watering down act on its ability to move a listener - prog, minimal, slo-mo, irony driven wank like DJ fucking Boring. Yet it’s still here & I’m still hunting for releases that are older than my kids.

The abomination that became Goa was always trying to appropriate from the 60’s, think this is an open secret. However, it had none of the musicality of an act like the Grateful Dead, paper thin liable to fracture whenever you actually had to listen to it. The horror, the horror. Goa should never be forgiven for these crimes. If you lump a genius band like the Dead in with such abominations, not only are you missing out on outstanding music you’re also misconstruing what the focus of that band was in its prime - openness, tolerance, inclusiveness & absolute commitment to the musical moment. Not a million miles away from the rave era, surely?

So different realms from the rave era, with the focus expanded to include music other than hardcore, had/has been fed through slightly different paths of provenance, even if it appeared as an umbrella that included repetitive beats & certain compounds.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Ok, a few queries to unpick here, fuck all personal btw. Firstly, the “rave” years included a lot more than hardcore. House comes to mind. Whether you like that music (outside of hardcore) or not is irrelevant, it continues in lots of ways too. House has braved every conceivable watering down act on its ability to move a listener - prog, minimal, slo-mo, irony driven wank like DJ fucking Boring. Yet it’s still here & I’m still hunting for releases that are older than my kids.

The abomination that became Goa was always trying to appropriate from the 60’s, think this is an open secret. However, it had none of the musicality of an act like the Grateful Dead, paper thin liable to fracture whenever you actually had to listen to it. The horror, the horror. Goa should never be forgiven for these crimes. If you lump a genius band like the Dead in with such abominations, not only are you missing out on outstanding music you’re also misconstruing what the focus of that band was in its prime - openness, tolerance, inclusiveness & absolute commitment to the musical moment. Not a million miles away from the rave era, surely?

So different realms from the rave era, with the focus expanded to include music other than hardcore, had/has been fed through slightly different paths of provenance, even if it appeared as an umbrella that included repetitive beats & certain compounds.

nah the dead are just standard 60s bluesy rock with some country overtones. not dislikeable but not superb either, pattycakes shoot me. the real fried out shit was Flower Travellin band, ash ra temple first album (nothing after) all the European free improv, and even Black Sabbath.

I don't want openness and inclusiveness I want purist focus on a tunnel vision aesthetic and for that vision to drag you into an alien vortex of chattering astral demons.

I love LSD,but the gone mental borderline/actually schizophrenic freaky kind, not the flowerpower kind.