woops

is not like other people
not what i thought simple minds sounded like either, i thought they were tears for fears, more like echo and bunnymen

craner

Beast of Burden
FUCK OFF EVERYBODY IT'S SIMPLE MINDS

Literally the best band in the world in 1982, when I was 3.

This track is one of the best off their mini-epic Sister Feelings Call.

I dreamed of writing a book about the sinews of normal life and it was like this. Sinister, in the guts of modern life, hidden from high-brow fiction and soap operas. Jim Kerr had a big cock, wanted to conquer America and ended up shagging Patsy Kensit. But, at one point, he could make this odd and mercurial and true pop music, sitting on the margins but radiating out.

craner

Beast of Burden
China Crisis.

A lo-fi synth band who made hit records, but hid. This hit was lovely, though, arch, camp poetry, in the way Scritti could never achieve, 60 songs on. This is the most indie track on the list, one for Woops. Thanks for staying at my party, you're my friend now.

version

I'm sure Luke said one of those blogs he read was obsessed with Belinda Carlisle and had somehow tied loads of conspiracies to her.

version

It wasn't Belinda Carlisle. It was Liz Fraser from Cocteau Twins.
It's not all that right wing but it is basically bonkers. He's got an obsession with Liz Fraser from Cocteau Twins. Most of his conspiracies theories revolve round her. He thinks she was possessed by some spirt or other. Demented really. There is a really good visual essay on there though about the dome and obelisk conjunction.

craner

Beast of Burden
He hates her, I have been in love with her since I was 10. It's a major schism in our friendship.

version

That's something I would never do if I was being paid needless to say. I'd write something nice. But I watched a Belinda Carlisle video just now and felt so empty and bleak and horrified and I didn't want to write a nice one. It really destroyed me. I hated that side of the eighties, that desolate simulacrum. As a child all that music felt so enervating. I knew it was the enemy.