The Greatest Record Cover Auteurs

catalog

'All artwork by Alan "no Mackintosh, all talent" Oldham for Visual Noise Studios. Look, Mom, I'm aquatic! Peace... "

catalog

It's interesting to think about how they were working in a circular format for the disc. It lends something a bit different. That's totally gone now.

A lot of these are also words as pictures, the textg and image working together like comics.

Comics look to be a big influence on Haqq and Oldham in particular, those bodies and faces seem very Ditko like to me.

Woebot

It's interesting to think about how they were working in a circular format for the disc. It lends something a bit different. That's totally gone now.

yes. the "tondo" isn't it.

andy warhol's "round jackie" someone pointed out to him that he should call it a tondo and he said "nah, round" classic avant-yob gesture

A lot of these are also words as pictures, the textg and image working together like comics.

Comics look to be a big influence on Haqq and Oldham in particular, those bodies and faces seem very Ditko like to me.
seems like all of mine have a comics-like flavour!

craner

Beast of Burden
I've always thought Martha Ladly is one of the coolest women in the world because as well as being in Martha and the Muffins, The Associates and singing backing vocals on Avalon, she also collaborated with Peter Saville on some of those Factory sleeves:

R-220253-1492253182-4799.jpeg.jpg

Woebot

I've always thought Martha Ladly is one of the coolest women in the world because as well as being in Martha and the Muffins, The Associates and singing backing vocals on Avalon, she also collaborated with Peter Saville on some of those Factory sleeves:

View attachment 6700
i had no idea! "echo beach" was one of my absolutely favourite pop songs as a small chap - and has remained a guilty pleasure until today!

william_kent

Tony McDermott - did loads of the Greensleeves covers including the 'Carnival of Reggae History' 12" sleeve. I've probably got more examples of his work in my collection than any other artist

1616438177168.png

1616437259554.png1616437445109.png1616437803474.png1616437698136.png
1616437571495.png