Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Spotify has shuffled me "Angel" which I usually avoid as being too drippy but it's actually pretty good.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I used to absolutely love and revere Metalheadz (both as a teenager hearing 'Pulp Fiction' and 'Angels Fell' and as a dnb/jungle head in my early 20s buying records by Commix, D Kay etc. and hearing all the old records via Nuffbonsai mixes and being totally blown away) and I still love a lot of their records and admire Goldie to the Nth degree (one of the most interesting people/interviewees in music, built himself up from really shit circumstances by sheer force of will and self-belief).

But I am also sympathetic to the view that I really absorbed on here that they basically helped suck the fun and snotty energy out of jungle and replaced it with The Face approved tastefulness and portentousness in the 90s. No doubt that was a reaction to ragga jungle and other things that I can't understand, though.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
But I am also sympathetic to the view that I really absorbed on here that they basically helped suck the fun and snotty energy out of jungle and replaced it with The Face approved tastefulness and portentousness in the 90s.
This is Zone of Fruitless Intensification 101, isn't it?

version

... and I still love a lot of their records and admire Goldie to the Nth degree (one of the most interesting people/interviewees in music, built himself up from really shit circumstances by sheer force of will and self-belief).
He's great, but also reminds me of Dennis Hopper in 'Apocalypse Now'.

I was watching an interview with him the other day and he was saying stuff like "You've gotta remember when you point the finger at someone, you've got three fingers pointing back at you".

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
@Corpsey will be delighted to hear that Metalheadz at Blue Note couldn't have happened without Jamiroquai.

72bb23cba7b5b50957fefdce7631d92a.jpg

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Weird hearing all this smooth, jazzy stuff after associating them with 'Stonekiller', 'Metropolis', 'The Angels Fell' etc for so long.
Yeah this is an interesting/weird thing about the label. Was that something to do with them being HQ'd at the Blue Note?

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty

The delivery of "Because Carl's that kind of guy" at the end of what starts @ 2:51 is about as Goldie as it gets. Off his nat on chisel bein' all profound

But I am also sympathetic to the view that I really absorbed on here that they basically helped suck the fun and snotty energy out of jungle and replaced it with The Face approved tastefulness and portentousness in the 90s. No doubt that was a reaction to ragga jungle and other things that I can't understand, though.

Probably the coke and hanging out with the hoy polloi that lead him down that path

version

I'm sympathetic to that view too, but I don't hold it against them as it seems inevitable. If not them then someone else.

version

I was listening to a Grooverider set from Blue Note the other day and he drops this Dillinja thing then you can hear Goldie going nuts in the background like "RIDER! RIDER, RIDER, RIDER! DON'T GO THERE! DON'T GO THERE, RIDERMAN! DON'T FUCKING GO THERE!".

:LOL:

12:14

IdleRich

IdleRich
Would be great to be totally mental but in a position where everyone has to indulge your every wish.... I'm thinking Prince, Caligula, maybe Tom Cruise... I dunno, a fine line between that and simply being insane and everyone merely laughs at you.