barty's guide to the post-punks

woops

is not like other people
they're an actual band as opposed to a load of art-school drop outs, eccentrics, philosophy students etc

woops

is not like other people
they made music acceptable again in the wake of prog then punk without heading down the post-punk negative image route or the new wave artificial humans route

IdleRich

IdleRich
After macho male-dominated punk, women had a brilliant emergence in post-punk: Delta 5, Au Pairs, Mo-dettes, Maximum Joy, Kleenex/Liliput, Rip Rig & Panic, Slits (although they transitioned punk to post-punk). Some of my favorite music.
Mine too.... someone added me to a No Wave group on fb and, although I'm not a particularly active participant, I saw this post today which seems relevant to what's being discussed here - although I'll admit I'm not a hundred percent sure what they are trying to say
The difference between no wave and everything else is that no wave is not musical struggling to be musical, and everything else is musical struggling to be discordant. Outside the strict definition of bands that were on the No New York comp etc Yoko for instance, got it. Her band played a blues jam behind her. They didn't understand her music or how to accompany her. Most modern bands credited as "no wave" are more than competent with their instruments, trying to be discordant. No wave bands often had musical bass and drums, but guitar and/or keyboards were beautiful chaos. Your thoughts?
I think that they are trying to say that the original no-wavers were authentically untrained whereas others have had to fake that in an attempt to get the sound.

IdleRich

IdleRich
they made music acceptable again in the wake of prog then punk without heading down the post-punk negative image route or the new wave artificial humans route
Ah ok, so they are literally post-punk in that they area a music that comes after punk and goes in a totally different direction, not post-punk as it's commonly understood meaning - what? - a style of music that grew out of punk, keeping a similar sound palette and something of the aesthetic and DIY approach but drawing on influences such as dub, funk and disco to create a much more varied and (for me) musically interesting sound?

Leo

there's also post-punk as in the sound (angular, artsy, dancy) and post-punk as in "any band that came out after punk", which I guess could include dire straits. I think in terms of the former, that's the stuff I love.

IdleRich

IdleRich
there's also post-punk as in the sound (angular, artsy, dancy) and post-punk as in "any band that came out after punk", which I guess could include dire straits. I think in terms of the former, that's the stuff I love.
Yeah, that was exactly what I was trying to say.
Presumably that - the former - is what the thread is supposed to be about, surely?

Reactions: Leo

woops

is not like other people
dub, funk and disco
yeah all these are pre-punk sounds, but i'm not gonna defend my ridiculous thesis, it's based on this list of bands who played at the rochester castle (stoke newington wetherspoons) in the day:

Gary Numan Bad Manners The Jam The Police Berlin Dire Straits Adam and the ants Ian Dury The Damned Bill Bragg Sid Vicious Riff Raff XTC

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, they are pre-punk sounds but when art school punks took influences from them and mixed it with a DIY aesthetic you got post-punk.

Leo

one of my fav post-punk 7" singles, quality on A and B:

same band morphed into a more palatable (new wave?) sound, to equally great measure:

great band, Edinburgh boys.

Last edited:

woops

is not like other people
Yeah, they are pre-punk sounds but when art school punks took influences from them and mixed it with a DIY aesthetic you got post-punk.
Is there a DIY aesthetic in 2021? Can't be bothered to start thread

IdleRich

IdleRich
Oh right. My gut feeling is that DIY exists in as much as the stuff to make music is more readily and cheaply available than ever before.... but it doesn't necessarily sound DIY cos a corollary of that is that cheap equipment doesn´t necessarily correlate with a cheap sound in the way that it used to.

woops

is not like other people
Can the spirit of that DIY aesthetic survive? I sometimes worry as an ex-devoted indie kid.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Because the cost of production is so low now DIY as an aesthetic is kind of moot. I'd say the biggest creative DIY scene going is the whole youtube world which is fucking massive.

Musically, you probably have to look at developing countries to find people who have no choice but to cobble something together. And as per these days, those places tend to be where most of the 'new' stuff is happening

IdleRich

IdleRich
So no aesthetic
That would be my guess. If you hear something that does sound cheap and homemade as discussed then it is probably the result of a choice rather than cos it was the only sound they could get. Fake basically.

IdleRich

IdleRich
That would be my guess. If you hear something that does sound cheap and homemade as discussed then it is probably the result of a choice rather than cos it was the only sound they could get. Fake basically.
I mean maybe it could be arrived at genuinely by a combination of cheap gear and ineptitude though perhaps.