Benny Bunter

From the NY rave thread, some prime Todd Terry. Whether it's a sample or synth doesn't really matter, it's got that classic cheap and narsty digital quacking quality to it

Makes me think there's probably a ton of old NY stuff that could probably go in here, freestyle and such.

william_kent

@maxi beat me to it with the disciples, but the first track off that album has some serious digital horn fanfares

Disciples - Open Gate

I wanted to post a video of Shaka tearing up a dance with this track, but the rip of the Shaka Visions VHS on youtube has 'issues' with sound when he plays this tune

Midi horn fanfares all over digi steppas - here's an example out of Italy from a couple of years ago

Mighty Prophet - David Vs Goliath

Benny Bunter

Listening back to this, I think it's more of a case of a genuinely good song almost ruined, not enhanced, by the midi horn. Not only is the melody tuneless and unmemorable, it's terribly mixed as well, disappearing in and out of the mix seemingly at random. It's such a clash with the chunky, rich sounding sampled drums and guitar - this thin sounding hilariously amateurish, badly played tootling shitsynth preset halfheartedly slapped on top. But notable for all that I guess

Was it puff daddy's fault?

maxi

I think it's rza just as he was moving from sample-based to bobby digital. it's definitely a clash but i kind of like that about it