CITY POP (70s-80s Japanese Pop)

IdleRich

IdleRich
i feel like alot of people who moved to London as a way of escaping their provincial town english suburban lives have this same kind of shock, they think they can hide it under getting into a new subculture and switching up their fashion but problem is all their old friends had the exact same idea and followed suit.
You could say that this happened twice to me in that I thought I was going to enter a new world when I went to university... why I thought that... had somehow failed to understand that it was just the next year of school and that all the people I despised* in my year at school were going on to a university too, I really don't know. I'd forgotten that universities were were people went to study, in my mind they were you went to have sex and listen to cool music and the selection process which I'd somehow forgotten was based on my projected A-level grades was designed to select really cool rebels like me. Damn I was stupid. In fairness though, I had a right to be shocked cos the music everyone listened to was even worse than it had been at school. I honestly think the most popular band in my hall (which was all boys mind you) was Take That. At the end of freshers week there was a party and the "bands" advertised as playing were Gina G and PJ and Duncan but I had truly convinced myself that that must be a joke and that on the night they would reveal the real bands which would probably be Suicide and The Residents - or someone similar, I wasn't gonna be picky about it.

After I graduated from university I moved to London and started hanging out in utltrahip East London, was a little surprised to find an 80s revival in full swing. I remember staring at a dancefloor filled with models dancing without irony to Duran Duran and soft rock and thinking that if my children or grandchildren asked about the "scene" that was happening when I was a bright young thing I would have to say something like "Oh we didn't have our own one, we just nicked a few of the worst bits from some shit old scenes and did them again - you cannot imagine how cool it was without being there, it will simply never happen again unless it does."

*I say despised but it would be more accurate to say "got on fairly well with as a rule but mildly disagreed with their music taste".

woops

is not like other people
You could say that this happened twice to me in that I thought I was going to enter a new world when I went to university... why I thought that... had somehow failed to understand that it was just the next year of school and that all the people I despised* in my year at school were going on to a university too, I really don't know. I'd forgotten that universities were were people went to study, in my mind they were you went to have sex and listen to cool music and the selection process which I'd somehow forgotten was based on my projected A-level grades was designed to select really cool rebels like me. Damn I was stupid. In fairness though, I had a right to be shocked cos the music everyone listened to was even worse than it had been at school. I honestly think the most popular band in my hall (which was all boys mind you) was Take That. At the end of freshers week there was a party and the "bands" advertised as playing were Gina G and PJ and Duncan but I had truly convinced myself that that must be a joke and that on the night they would reveal the real bands which would probably be Suicide and The Residents - or someone similar, I wasn't gonna be picky about it.

After I graduated from university I moved to London and started hanging out in utltrahip East London, was a little surprised to find an 80s revival in full swing. I remember staring at a dancefloor filled with models dancing without irony to Duran Duran and soft rock and thinking that if my children or grandchildren asked about the "scene" that was happening when I was a bright young thing I would have to say something like "Oh we didn't have our own one, we just nicked a few of the worst bits from some shit old scenes and did them again - you cannot imagine how cool it was without being there, it will simply never happen again unless it does."

*I say despised but it would be more accurate to say "got on fairly well with as a rule but mildly disagreed with their music taste".
good post