linebaugh

Ive noticed on two occaisons recently that I was minorly repulsed by men who are still young but by now have early signs of aging like a beer gut and I thought how silly that they are still wearing t shirts and jeans. But what else are they supposed to wear? Is there ever a sensible time for fashion?

linebaugh

This has crossover with the whiskey blues thread- part of the appeal of that older type of life no longer possible is that you could also wear clothes that wearnt a kind of mockery of nice clothes.

wg-

I wouldn't go as extreme as to wear fleeces or those big padded trousers but yeah, sure. Runner jackets as it warms up. Tracky bottoms for the big shop.

Montirex a nice underrated British make

Dont think I've worn jeans in about five years

WashYourHands

cat malogen
Shirt, bootcut jeans, boots. Only wear ties at weddings etc, trainers and t-shirts for days out with the kids (which get scuffed or spilled over so...)

Occasionally - Celtic/Forest scarfs in deep winter, shorts season approaching just not cargo or speedos, couple of mixed weather coats for Peaks patrols + insulated rainwear

I’ve gone out with mates when it’s become clear their partner has bought an incongruous obligation for them to wear. The most brutal burns get tossed round

wg-

heh, was up on the hills at the weekend and got proper dissing by the lycra clad ramblers for wearing non-mountaineering garb
"the pub's that way, gents"

I won't go as far as the lycra gear for fear of traumatising passers by

version

Ive noticed on two occaisons recently that I was minorly repulsed by men who are still young but by now have early signs of aging like a beer gut and I thought how silly that they are still wearing t shirts and jeans. But what else are they supposed to wear? Is there ever a sensible time for fashion?
I think it depends on the t-shirt and jeans; a beer gut isn't ever going to look good so you can't really blame it on the clothes.

shakahislop

i might have said on here before, one of the really noticeable things about nyc is how much men (and everyone else) give a shit about what they look like. even coming back to london there's a clear decrease in the level of care, attention, tidiness, newness of clothes, compared to here

version

i might have said on here before, one of the really noticeable things about nyc is how much men (and everyone else) give a shit about what they look like. even coming back to london there's a clear decrease in the level of care, attention, tidiness, newness of clothes, compared to here
My brother said something similar when he came back from Berlin, that there was a noticeable drop once he was back in the UK and everyone looked uglier and less healthy and stylish.

Pandiculate

I find that with Tokyo, had friends tell me they could never wear my trainers because they were just too scuffed. I quite like trainers that are bit beaten up, fresh out the box ones just look a bit goofy.

shakahislop

My brother said something similar when he came back from Berlin, that there was a noticeable drop once he was back in the UK and everyone looked uglier and less healthy and stylish.
I've thought different things at different times, not sure what I think now, but for a while I was convinced that the UK was unique in how little people gave a shit about what they looked like.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I think it depends on the t-shirt and jeans; a beer gut isn't ever going to look good so you can't really blame it on the clothes.

I'm not actually sure about this - a point that I've heard made a few times is that men's clothes traditionally use the visual and physical structure of the clothes to "correct" the appearance of the wearer, so you can't magic a beer gut and man boobs away but a well-cut jacket, shirt and trousers will make them less prominent than a plain t-shirt would.