Amapiano

forclosure

yeah i wish. growing up dancing to Steps in rural english children's discos and then to d&b doesn't exactly set you up for all this slinky winding arm-moving stuff
ah come on shaka you and your english sense of being commited to misery will do you no good in improving your dancing skills now will it?

just fucking give yourself into it and you can be the token white guy all the African 20somethings respect because you at least GAVE IT A FUCKING GO

shakahislop

ah come on shaka you and your english sense of being commited to misery will do you no good in improving your dancing skills now will it?

just fucking give yourself into it and you can be the token white guy all the African 20somethings respect because you at least GAVE IT A FUCKING GO
i'm committed to developing a hybrid style, which mixes disco line dancing with a d&b shuffle and violently pushing other dancers around

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
yeah i wish. growing up dancing to Steps in rural english children's discos and then to d&b, by way of moshing, doesn't exactly set you up for all this slinky winding arm-moving stuff

It's quite easy. Wait till you have to dance to karsilama in 9/8 and 9/2

forclosure

this is the first thing that came up, and i think all the people at the tables are a metaphor for something
look i get it that youre petrified at the though of dancing to this cause this and Ama aren't in surroundings where you can down 3 pills and then kick a baby in the face in order to feel "alive and in the moment"

but you can dance to it this is a real rhythm to the music in this video and i'm diggin it

glasshand

dj panic attack
pretty crazy how much amapiano seems to be evolving. some real dark and weird shit out there at the moment, i feel like thabza tee is pretty much creating his own subgenre of it since down the drain. love everything he's involved in, all got a swung, really low-mid punching log drum bassline. genius weirdo shit

i think this darker sound is called bique (as in Mozambique) and/or sgija, not exactly sure the differences between them yet

rubysay

this music, the way the log drums are used as rhythmic/melodic/harmonic little monolith objects reminds me of amerifat riddim/tearout "dubstep" and the term "gun", which seems to describe something like this, (though a gun seems much more artificial/industrially produced and violent) or how a pitched amen snare or old school rave stab works. digital phantom force stab, landlord stab. something something jumpstyle kick/snare/clap combo. am i talking complete shit????

(warning this man incredibly a chump and annoying)

glasshand

dj panic attack
this music, the way the log drums are used as rhythmic/melodic/harmonic little monolith objects reminds me of amerifat riddim/tearout "dubstep" and the term "gun", which seems to describe something like this, (though a gun seems much more artificial/industrially produced and violent) or how a pitched amen snare or old school rave stab works. digital phantom force stab, landlord stab. something something jumpstyle kick/snare/clap combo. am i talking complete shit????

(warning this man incredibly a chump and annoying)

i would definitely compare the tracks and a lot of amapiano to early dubstep in the way that it's obviously a bass-led genre. these darker tracks are all about the bass manipulation as well, people are competing with each other to use it in the most inventive ways.

i'm not so sure what you mean about the amen snare or rave stab comparison - unless you mean that the log drum has become like the ultimate amapiano genre-signifier, it's monolithic of the genre itself, like the amen break for jungle, Ha Crash is for ballroom, smashing glass sample for deconstructed club music, etc.. if you put a log drum on an afrobeats track or even a straight up house track at the moment, a lot of people will call it amapiano.

the comparison has already been made a lot on twitter but the "log drum" is really similar to the 808 in more than just its popularity. it's a sound that sounds nothing like what it was intended to be, on something pretty accessible (FL studio's really simple DX10) that is usually derided or unused, and it's by manipulating it in unexpected ways (with velocity, with layering 3 of them on top of each other, or with really short note length interacting with the amplitude and FM settings) that it's unlocked all these mad developments. the fact that it uses barely any CPU means you can have like unlimited different versions of it in a project adding different flourishes.

i'm really glad that there's still something about a weird use of a specific technology that can spark this much collective music-genre creativity. i also like that it's not some MaxMSP dorks, it's people running FL studio on low spec PCs.

Dimensions

https://soundcloud.com/dimensionsuk/dimensions-saga-bar-danang-vietnam

Recent live set I did with some nice amapiano bits to begin with, into different types of house

De Mthuda & Ntokszin - Maplankeng
Fred Everything - Mercyless
LuuDadeejay, Balcony Mix Africa & Major League DJz - Summa Tym
Geeneus - Make Me
Kalbata - It Ain't Like That
Amir Alexander - Gutter Flex
ANOTR - Stop Trying Keep Doing
James Dexter - Buttons
James What - It Feels Wrong
Fletch - Walk & Talk (AJ Christou remix)
OOFT! - Yeah (Jay Shepheard unreleased mix)
Nice7 - Time to Get Physical
Michael Jackson - Billie Jean (Bushwacka remix)
Nosaj Thing - N R 2
Truce - Impure Soul
Superfunk & Ron Carroll - Lucky Star (Solomun remix)
Kurtz & Bomber - Such a Rush
PAWSA - Obsession
Hitty - Shots
Art Department - We Call Love (DJ Harvey remix)
James What - About Love
Jesus Nava - Heidi (Sishi Rosch acid dub)
Luke Larrell - Serious People
Hitty - Up Top
Mark Radford, Storm & Lee Edwards - The Storm

glasshand

dj panic attack
the dark side of amapiano that i was posting videos from before is getting darker and weirder at an insane rate

this guy D'Athiz has got so many insane tracks out there. a whole album's worth on 'summer banger'. he's put the album into a mix - worth listening to the whole thing. my favourite is probably No Return around 37mins.

this one from a new EP

channelling similar vibes to these guys

London producer Kwamzy doing the shuffle log drum thing

caught charisse c playing out recently and she was sick. about to check this

thabza tee gave away this nutty one recently that was just doing the rounds as a dub before.

i'm surprised this isn't catching on with more of the hardcore continuum fans on here... is there anyone left? it's not Ldn obviously but it's well and truly ticking similar boxes for popular modernism, bass experimentation, fast rate of communal innovation, the 'scenius' etc

glasshand

dj panic attack
i see these guys on instagram looking like they've just stepped off that Chernobyl series. the mid-track tempo slowdown seems to be a recent sonic meme, don't know who started it.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I have no thoughtful commentary to give, pretty ignorant with regards the details - just chiming in to say, I don't know what it is about this stuff but it's endlessly listenable.