IRL Machiavellian plotting

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
To deviate from the Paisley meme and stay factual, a figure like Martin McGuinness is a ghoulish presence

To move up to regional command when you’re either killing or ordering killing after killing, avoiding Freddie Scappaticci and his goons/handlers, not get popped by UVF, the Shoukri brothers or other branches of militant loyalism, it wasn’t luck was it. All the internecine slaughter, INLA madness, beyond luck not getting done. Bit too lucky

The Adams/McGuinness axis had a more moderate pairing if you think of Seamus Mallon and John Hume, thank fuck they had the balls to push on. How neither was killed still baffles me. The GFA is a monument to sense, even if imperfect. Be watchful of those who compromise it

luka

From the Battle of the Boyne, To the carnage of the Somme, We gave our enemies something to remember, So bejoves before I go, I want you all to know, That Ulster is the land of No Surrender.

luka

i love these songs. they make me so proud. they have so much in common with football hooligan songs.

luka

goading your tribal enemies. 'when the IRA, were blown away, and three corpsies, were left there that day' :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Leo

Is Trump at all Machiavelliean?

Jeffrey Epstein certainly was.

Being a con man is different from Machiavelliean. A con man relation to his mark is like a dealer to a junkie or bookie to a gambler. They want to milk them, but they don't want to destroy them (which would kill their cash cow).

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed

This talk is quite good TBH, and I think provides the context (Christian moralism!) against which Machiavelli's view of the human strategic situation (sometimes it's best to lie! sometimes it's best to shirk promises!) became so disreputable & sinister.
Funny, just watched this yesterday. Just finished the Prince a few days ago, a third of the way through Art of War now.

You’d appreciate this, as a web3-native example of Machiavellian strategy. So in Lobby3 we have had a whale problem. One person, let’s say Alice, has considerably more tokens than the average total number of tokens used to vote on any given proposal, but Alice doesn’t pay much attention to Lobby3 these days. Bob, a friend of Alice’s, does pay attention, and is able to convince Alice to vote one way or the other. Bob has been known to be abrasive in his insistence that every sort of decision be made in a decentralized manner, notwithstanding the irony of his whale proxy posturing.

So our problem was that we needed to switch from linear voting to quadratic voting, to enable us to pass community-approved proposals. But we couldn’t do an active proposal (snapshot) because the whale would just vote against, and thus the proposal wouldn’t appear as legitimately passing.

Lobby3’s proposal process starts at the Draft Proposal phase, using a regular messageboard, which isn’t token-gated and on which everyone makes an account and gets only one vote on draft proposals. If a draft proposal has a majority of votes in favor after three days, it moves onto the active proposal, where everyone has their own amount of tokens/votes.

So this is what we did: at the draft proposal stage, we included a condition to the effect of “by voting in favor of this proposal at the draft stage, you are also signaling that you approve the usage of the quadratic voting method at the active stage.” This has been working like a charm, precisely because it involves a collective decision to switch the voting method, thus illegitimizing any claims that admins are unilaterally strong-arming proposals.