DJ IMAGINARY CAT - CALIFORNIA DANCING CLUB VOLUME 2 : GATO DE BONSUCESSO

wektor

thank you so much! friend of mine recently moved to seoul to teach english, and doesn't seem to do much but eat, wander aimlessly, and sleep with local office ladies. he mentioned there being a sort of berghain inspired techno scene, should that sort of thing excite you. can ask him for more info, if you're interested!
Oh I do think there is a little bit of this current dark techno movement it would seem. A little bit of edgy decon club too.
Freshest and most interesting I have seen is this electrified folk revival scene/movement with an event happening next week:
Any info from someone based in Seoul is appreciated though, always curious to hear about what's going on!

Mr. Naga Pickle

Oh I do think there is a little bit of this current dark techno movement it would seem. A little bit of edgy decon club too.
Freshest and most interesting I have seen is this electrified folk revival scene/movement with an event happening next week:
Any info from someone based in Seoul is appreciated though, always curious to hear about what's going on!
beautiful! what is this style called? would really like to hear a longer mix of this stuff!

Mr. Naga Pickle

side A of this sounds like the kind of shit you'd hear at NEW TONNOCHY NIGHT CLUB in wan chai circa 1995. great to see young people appreciating the classics!

Mr. Naga Pickle

also this is the dark techno party my friend said was fun:

he hasn't been to dotolim yet, but is thinking about asking them if he can play weirdo black metal guitar stuff there, so be on the lookout for SUNLESS OASIS or whatever the fuck he's calling himself this week.

IdleRich

IdleRich

How long are you in Seoul for Wektor?

Trot seems like a really strange name for that style of music but reading down it says that it is short for Foxtrot which I guess explains it in a way... albeit raising more questions at the same time.

wektor

How long are you in Seoul for Wektor?

Trot seems like a really strange name for that style of music but reading down it says that it is short for Foxtrot which I guess explains it in a way... albeit raising more questions at the same time.
Over the past month we have spent in Korea we have been mostly in Incheon which is one of the bigger cities in the country, about 90 mins away from Seoul.
We do go to the capital for most weekends though, except for the second week or something when I caught a cold because of the in/outdoor temperature differences, which at times end up being ~10C (cafes are usually blasting AC to the point that you can feel a freezing cold wind when you are walking past an open door).
Also spent one weekend in Busan which was pretty wicked, went to some small modular gig there which apparently is not much of a thing.

Today we are driving to east coast to spend a family weekend in Sokcho and next week I'm playing dotolim, followed by a flight to Jeju the day after, which I'm pretty stoked about. Finally we have a flight back to Paris (I think) and then to London on 12th. I'm also quite excited to go back home, since we didn't even manage to unpack our stuff after moving in.

wektor

also this is the dark techno party my friend said was fun:

he hasn't been to dotolim yet, but is thinking about asking them if he can play weirdo black metal guitar stuff there, so be on the lookout for SUNLESS OASIS or whatever the fuck he's calling himself this week.
This looks sick! We will most probably be in Seoul that weekend since I am really pushing to go out more (we have been out properly maybe once throughout this trip), so might end up going there.
Koreans seem to have mad choices of venues to be honest, from what I saw there was a rave happening at an industrial freezer somewhere, also another one happening this weekend in a sauna in Jeju. Perhaps the scene is unfreezing after the COVID stagnation.

Re: dotolim - I would heavily recommend it, I think Sangtae Jin who's running it seems to be pretty open minded, same with that Howling event I played last week which seems to be operating completely on the basis of open calls (they have one now open for October, so maybe give your mate a shout).

IdleRich

IdleRich
Over the past month we have spent in Korea we have been mostly in Incheon which is one of the bigger cities in the country, about 90 mins away from Seoul.
We do go to the capital for most weekends though, except for the second week or something when I caught a cold because of the in/outdoor temperature differences, which at times end up being ~10C (cafes are usually blasting AC to the point that you can feel a freezing cold wind when you are walking past an open door).
Also spent one weekend in Busan which was pretty wicked, went to some small modular gig there which apparently is not much of a thing.

Today we are driving to east coast to spend a family weekend in Sokcho and next week I'm playing dotolim, followed by a flight to Jeju the day after, which I'm pretty stoked about. Finally we have a flight back to Paris (I think) and then to London on 12th. I'm also quite excited to go back home, since we didn't even manage to unpack our stuff after moving in.

Wow that sounds like an incredible trip. Seems you're managing to pack in a load of stuff, and getting some gigs and all. How much time did you spend aweay?

As an aside, I fucking hate that with the aircon, when we came back from Porto I was shivering, could barely feel my hands when I got off the bus. I guess I was in a slightly delicate state and not everyone was suffering as much as me, but it must have been colder than everyone would have preferred, surely. But sounds like it's crazy in Seoul - probably people are freezing to death and they'll be like "Oh no, it's Fan Death again, and people still think it's a myth!".

Leo

can you get sick by going back and forth from hot outdoors to cold indoors? I thought we got sick from germs, not temperature.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I wondered the same thing. I can imagine it may not be good for you, depending on how extreme the differences are no doubt. I think chilblains are affected or caused by that... and the internet (or one page of it) agrees with me.

The symptoms of chilblains are made worse with sudden temperature changes – for example, entering a warm house after being outside in the cold. Similarly, heating cold feet too quickly, by propping them next to a heater or using a hot water bottle, will also exacerbate the condition.

But you can't catch a germ from the temperature. I think in winter people are more likely to be close up and in circumstances where viruses etc can spread but it's not a direct result of cold.