do you ever feel like Corona - The Rhythm of the Night is maybe actually best song ever?

do you ever feel like Corona - The Rhythm of the Night is maybe actually best song ever?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
some punks and music critic types always tend to like the worst dance music for some bizarre reason.
I like plenty of quote unquote "good" and/or "authentic" dance music too, and so do many of those other nominally non-dance music people. I like it for basically the same reasons I like The Rhythm of the Night. That song has a particular emotional resonance, but so do other things sometimes.

The true anti-snobbery, which I got into upthread, is the inevitable retroactive push to recuperate cheese into the cool-industrial complex of reappraisal, revival, curated reissues, etc instead of being able to just unapologetically like it on its own terms.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I like plenty of quote unquote "good" and/or "authentic" dance music too, and so do many of those other nominally non-dance music people. I like it for basically the same reasons I like The Rhythm of the Night. That song has a particular emotional resonance, but so do other things sometimes.

No that's fair enough. But you don't make a habit of liking (I assume) big beat, or mid 00s prog house. Yet liking those two sounds would be seen as the proper move in ilx, pitchfork, fact mag, RA circles.

For instance there is no conceivable reason why @blissblogger should like fatboy slim. none whatsoever.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
it would be like luke saying that he was going to get into the happy mondays and shove all his late 80s rnb/dancehall into the attic.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I'm coming round to the basic thesis of this thread. I've found myself thinking about this record on a few occasions recently. There's something in the anonymity and cheesiness of it that makes me wonder if the basic premise isn't true. I don't think it's a virtuoso vocal performance, neither do is the production sophisticated, the kind of thing that'd normally pull in my interest, but just those factors alone makes me think of the way you can just get caught up by a random song or rhythm on the dancefloor and just get swept away, especially when under the influence (not that happens to me any more). The song becomes a proxy for all of those strange unpredictable moments, the weird ways we respond to art as P says upthread.

Reactions: Leo

DannyL

Wild Horses
It makes me think about desire, how protean and uncontrollable that is. The way that can just spill out, wreck or immeasurable improve your night, your life.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
It makes me think about desire, how protean and uncontrollable that is. The way that can just spill out, wreck or immeasurable improve your night, your life.

nah it just sounds like a shrill din to me. Getting caught up in uncontrollable euphoria is more this sort of thing, produced by @Leo 's mate!

Pure let's fuckin' 'av it geezer!

• Love

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I mean something like this is more unpredictable to me.

Terrible production, irredeemable cheese, but in the right circumstance, with the football lads in the ritzie, it's sublime. At a proper house night, instant buzzkill. But in the right circumstance when a west-ham-called-dangerous-dave from kent's-missus starts (lightly might I add!) chirpsing with a gooner and mangles the allegiances threatening an almighty glassing from dangerous dave after getting trollied on industrial grade smirnoff urine vomit, nothing better.

even the toybox synths give it away, no pretensions to anything other than being chart fodder.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
first dedicated Hammer I knew was a girl who lived in mill hill and spoke with a semi-posh accent.

This is always the danger of passing down the football club allegiance down the family line. Of course, if my kids end up supporting spurs, I'll throw them on the street to fend for themselves, social services be damned. But I'll be magnanimous enough to entertain their lamentable fancies for Chelsea and Yanited.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

Terrible production, irredeemable cheese, but in the right circumstance, with the football lads in the ritzie, it's sublime. At a proper house night, instant buzzkill. But in the right circumstance when a west-ham-called-dangerous-dave from kent's-missus starts (lightly might I add!) chirpsing with a gooner and mangles the allegiances threatening an almighty glassing from dangerous dave after getting trollied on industrial grade smirnoff urine vomit, nothing better.

even the toybox synths give it away, no pretensions to anything other than being chart fodder.

naturally, I am far too sophisticated for such prepubescent shenanigans, these days. unlike @craner of course,of course.

DannyL

Wild Horses
nah it just sounds like a shrill din to me. Getting caught up in uncontrollable euphoria is more this sort of thing, produced by @Leo 's mate!

Pure let's fuckin' 'av it geezer
I think you're going at this at cross purposes. The point isn't about good/bad music as such, what's "better", it's about how a particular tune that might not be "good" can spin you out at the right moment.

DannyL

Wild Horses

This is what I'm talking about

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I think you're going at this at cross purposes. The point isn't about good/bad music as such, what's "better", it's about how a particular tune that might not be "good" can spin you out at the right moment.

nah nah I get it. My records which are the murky waters if you will are just different.

Dizzi Heights - Would I Find Love is one of them for a lot of people, being able to spin you out. For me it's just a bad record without qualifications.

conversely, I can't decide whether this is the best thing ever or the worst.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
in fact a lot of italo is like this. the cheap transcendence.

Forget all your casco, capricorn, klein and MBO, hypnotic tango stuff, that's the credible end of it. this is the real shit

There's an argument to be made that italodisco is the rave of the 80s. I wouldn't go that far, I'm a londoner and my critical allegiances will still remain with US electro, forevermore. But I wouldn't mind hearing that argument from someone in newcastle or wherever.

wild greens

Gala- Freed From Desire is a much more English tune than Corona as there is a bit you can do a chant to, it has become a European football tune and thus transcends Rhythm Of The Night in a lot of different ways. I back that one

DLaurent

nah nah I get it. My records which are the murky waters if you will are just different.

Dizzi Heights - Would I Find Love is one of them for a lot of people, being able to spin you out. For me it's just a bad record without qualifications.

conversely, I can't decide whether this is the best thing ever or the worst.

It's the best thing ever, like a hyper American Psycho tune, too good to be Phil Collins.