gabber gabber her her

wektor

not what you are talking about, but reminded me of Scott Walker on one of those later, hard-going albums, using meat as a percussive instrument - or rather, not really percussion, just recording the sounds of a pig carcass getting slapped and wacked and using that on a track
just watched that last week and crossed my mind right before I read your post. occasional hivemind moments on dissensus lately.

rubberdingyrapids

I like the album, though shes totally lost interest/the will to write melodies anymore. But the big letdown is that the real gabber part near the end of the whole thing is a bit crap. The guest vocals def dont help either.

blissblogger

I like the album, though shes totally lost interest/the will to write melodies anymore. But the big letdown is that the real gabber part near the end of the whole thing is a bit crap. The guest vocals def dont help either.

did she lose the will to do that after Vespertine I wonder? I certainly can't remember any tunes after that album.

still not got around to listening to this new job, somehow doesn't seem enticing.

if she'd decided to make a gabber album while on mushrooms...

shakahislop

used to love Homogenic. But that was 15 years ago that I loved it, and the album itself is 25 years old. Bjork slots into what is probably best termed a market which is probably overall not a great influence on the world, namely the people and media who still turn up to shows and give coverage to new releases by people who are still sailing on the winds of doing something great 20 years ago. it's not a nostalgia critique, it would just be probably better for everyone, even arguably even the artists themselves, if people would stop doing that. i'm saying this partly from my own experiences of turning up somewhere on a tuesday night to tolerate an artist's new stuff but basically hope throughout that they'll play the old stuff from when they had that genius spark. is anyone getting much out of seeing bjork in 2022? maybe i'm wrong and people are loving it. i guess indie-land is probably one of the worst for all this. but then there's money all around in indie land, it must be tempting.

shakahislop

i did find Homogenic profound in my first year of university. the electronics are nice and her voice is doing cartwheels. but probably more than that it was the emotional bravery. she puts a lot of things on the table and is upfront about it. obviously there's loads of stuff like that in the world, it's not a new phenomenon in human existence, it seeps out in all kinds of forms, but i hadn't seen much of it then. there's an interesting thing with bjork as well where she's almost presented as a weird uncategorizable alien - probably wouldn't stand up to much scrutiny now as there's probably a lot of gender and sexuality stuff in there, but that was the presentation of her at the time i think, and that probably helped for me to get into that aspect of her music

rubberdingyrapids

Only listened to the new one while reading, so not that closely, but i admire how shes still actually making stuff thats sonically pretty interesting and fresh. Visually, conceptually, shes obv still got it. Songs wise though, im less convinced. On one listen it seemed like the passion is there, but like thats meant to compensate for the lack of pop/melodies. I guess the reaction she gets each time is down to her history, but its also that shes just good at presenting a whole package each time out. Its never just an album with bjork. She always makes it more than that. Thats prob to do with the generation shes from too.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i did find Homogenic profound in my first year of university. the electronics are nice and her voice is doing cartwheels. but probably more than that it was the emotional bravery. she puts a lot of things on the table and is upfront about it. obviously there's loads of stuff like that in the world, it's not a new phenomenon in human existence, it seeps out in all kinds of forms, but i hadn't seen much of it then. there's an interesting thing with bjork as well where she's almost presented as a weird uncategorizable alien - probably wouldn't stand up to much scrutiny now as there's probably a lot of gender and sexuality stuff in there, but that was the presentation of her at the time i think, and that probably helped for me to get into that aspect of her music

yes but she still sounds like nails down a chalk bord.

I know my musical taste can be accused of that so fair cop, but a machine is a machine is a machine.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the thing with Bjork is she always sounds like she's singing through her nose with that whine. Unlike say Lata Mangeshkar who has mastered the art of hitting the sublime heights of high pitch through the gut, Bjork always sounds like she's got an irritating cold. It's a bizarre way to fetish impotence whilst of course being relatively in a position of power, all things considered.