The internet's impact on music megathread

sus

These lists are terrible.
What's important to note here is that virtually ever list has 1-2 memorable films, and the rest are basically forgettable junk.

This idea that something like 2001 Space Odyssey was a normal motion picture of its era is very confused

sus

So why do we produce all this nostalgic propaganda and why do we so readily believe it

That's the next place for this thread to go

sus

Why are we so readily taken in by the romance of a past age? An age that produced/was produced by... rim shot... boomers.

We clearly feel disappointed by our present. I feel disappointed by our present.

sus

But why then is the next step "it must have been better before"

We feel positive that we've lost something, that we've been betrayed or lied to

We feel positive man must have had a more impressive culture, at some point, because we (our younger selves) used to believe in a more impressive vision of man

sus

Might just be a case of Didion's thing of telling ourselves stories in order to live.
Seems true, but why this story?

Let's posit that it is a necessary story to live. Food gives us calories and vitamins. What does this cultural story give us?

linebaugh

What's important to note here is that virtually ever list has 1-2 memorable films, and the rest are basically forgettable junk.

This idea that something like 2001 Space Odyssey was a normal motion picture of its era is very confused
youre flailing. drowning. b..b...but Avatar is our generations 2001!!!

all I meant was that very ambitious projects were both getting funded and being appreciated by mass audiences in the past and you know this to be true. No one saw hurt locker, no one cares about that film. Ben Hur made over 100 million dollars in 1959 and Im certain its so dull as to be unwatchable.

linebaugh

it matters for this. Gus is engaging this very perverse intellectual exercise where he pretends to think that mainstream movie culture is as good as its ever been and we need to shame him for it

linebaugh

gus is pretending that he doesnt care that no good director will ever again get 100 million dollars to make something thoughtful. He thinks the culture is better for it.

• Haha
Reactions: sus

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

This is why the past is idealised isn't it, because the cream (not always but often) rises to the top and survives and the dreck sinks into oblivion.

But at the same time, certain historical conditions allow for works of art that previous/subsequent conditions preclude.

For my third bloody obvious point, I'd point to TV. If cinema has declined, at least in the mainstream, its surely because TV has become a magnet for the talent that cinema used to attract.

But this is complicated too. To use a rather obscure example but one that's occudred to me a lot - compare the BBC arts documentaries that are produced now to the likes of Civilization and Ways of Seeing. Visually they're high definition, the camera work is more fluent, etc. But because of this emphasis on flashy visuals, coupled with a decline in attention spans (maybe), there's a lot less actual content and analysis going on.