Dudes vs Lads Fri 25th Nov 1900 uk time joint telly watch

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
some of the rules make total sense when you have 4-5 blind outfield players shouting voy when going in for a tackle, inapplicability of offside rule, etc.

Others less so, more than 5 fouls per player incurs penalty, puts huge pressure on the goalie, need to basically become a 4-1 formation when battling for a win or draw. I think if the game is ever taken seriously by more blind ppl the fa will have to adapt the rules a bit.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, I can imagine it is. I honestly love to play football in almost any way - well, my worst format is 11-a--side due to my weakness in the air, but any smaller sided game I truly love. Watching a match can be great, but while there are of course brilliant games, there are also many many terrible ones - sadly for this thread that I created with hope in my heart, England vs US was a particularly bad one - but playing is almost always fantastic. Win or lose - even get embarrassingly thrashed in fact, when I'm playing football it is one of the few times when I can completely surrender the mind and become truly caught up in the moment, an hour or so of pure untainted joyful mindlessness. Well, perhaps not every game, but often enough.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I was chatting in some detail about the philosophies of sport - I guess stuff like the timekeeping thing we talked about @Leo and one thing he said which kinda stuck out was about how America has been able to export most of its culture to the rest o the world and make its food, its music, its films and fashion popular all round the world... but not its sports, certainly not to the sa According to him the reason for this is quite simple - it's cos they are shit. By his argument, if they were even half as good as other sports they would no doubt have steamrollered them and exceeded them in popularity in the way that McDonalds and Coke have done despite not being especially great.

I'm not saying I subscribe to that theory but I would like to hear some counter arguments or reasons why he is wrong.

Leo

Thing is, we don't give a shit if the world likes our sports. ;)

Basketball is global, although not on a World Cup level. Baseball is huge in Japan and parts of Latin America (many of the best Major League Baseball players are from Dominican Republic).

Leo

is this an unusual number of upsets, big names getting bounced out relatively early?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Thing is, we don't give a shit if the world likes our sports. ;)
I find that hard to believe... I mean you might not, but every brand wants to grow and make more money, that's axiomatic. The fact that they struggle so much is at least interesting I'd say.

The rest of it was exactly what my friend said in fact - a few places such as Cuba and Japan like baseball, they play basketball in Eastern Europe and no cunt gives a fuck about NHL.

Leo

I find that hard to believe... I mean you might not, but every brand wants to grow and make more money, that's axiomatic.

oh sure, the professional leagues themselves would love to be global. look at the NFL, playing a bunch of US football games in London the past few years. I was talking about sports fans and Americans in general.

Leo

I'd say yes... it's not insane but it's towards the high end of the spectrum.

Was just thinking about my neighbor whose brother is a huge Germany fan and had tickets to all the matches. guess he's been making other plans for the past week or so.

Leo

cuz you all are dumbasses who can only follow a game with a pretend-clock and a vague approximation of when the game is done.

shakahislop

watched the morocco game in a cafe in morocco, obviously a beautiful thing to watch. the emotional content of different sports is different i think, which maybe is an obvious thing to say. the tension and release of football and rugby is quite a different thing from the slow hypnotism of cricket for example. possibly it's the specific way that these kind of emotions are evoked in football that makes it so beloved all over the world.

IdleRich

IdleRich
watched the morocco game in a cafe in morocco, obviously a beautiful thing to watch. the emotional content of different sports is different i think, which maybe is an obvious thing to say. the tension and release of football and rugby is quite a different thing from the slow hypnotism of cricket for example. possibly it's the specific way that these kind of emotions are evoked in football that makes it so beloved all over the world.
Wish I'd watched it... sadly we were on the beach. Pretty much alone.

20221206_170743.jpg

20221206_170849.jpg

20221206_171306.jpg

This fella was there too

20221206_172809.jpg

Attachments

• 20221206_171306.jpg
    20221206_171306.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

IdleRich

IdleRich
cuz you all are dumbasses who can only follow a game with a pretend-clock and a vague approximation of when the game is done.

Wait a minute... it just struck me. Do you actually for real think that some US sports are better than football? I mean, I can sort of see that it's something you maybe have to pay lip service to every now and again if you're in a bar with people who don't know any better but it never crossed my mind that anyone who has really watched football properly could seriously think that.

Edit - I suppose it is fair enough really... I guess I'm confronting an internalised prejudice that I never recognised in myself before. I had literally never thought it possible for - all things being equal - someone to truly prefer, say, NFL to football. What a twat.

Leo

I'm mostly just yankin' your chain, rich. I obviously like US sports but have nothing against "your" football. it has its merits.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Of course... but I DID think it was impossible to prefer US sports to football - and now I have realised that it's not. Some people really do enjoy NFL or baseball as though they are real sports... I suppose in the same way that some people like to nail their dick to a piece of wood.

Leo

You don't know the half of it, millions of people here are obsessed with US football (less so for basketball and baseball, but they too have their own rabid fanbases). College football is like a religion is some parts of the country, what people live for. It's why Trump picked Hershel Walker to run for Senate in Georgia, he was convinced that people would vote for him simply because it was a football legend in the state.