Tunes That Spawned Entire Genres

william_kent

a couple or ten of rum & cokes ( I'm on "Kraken" tonight, "a liquid of unparalleled darkness", a nice winter warmer ) and the spate of "proto" threads ( @blissblogger's Inventing Sounds Way Ahead of Historical Schedule, @bassbeyondreason's Out-of-Place Artifacts, and @ohman's distribution points ) have made me think "do tunes that spawned entire genres" - no matter rubbish how that genre is perceived - count as proto whatever genre?

I'm thinking:

Shabba Ranks - Dem Bow

is this "proto-reggaeton"? Ahead of its time?

and what about:

DJ Battery Brain - 808 Volt Mix

proto Baile Funk ( aka Funk Carioca )? Sampled, or at least the beat is copied, in practically every 1990s "baile funk" tune, although in turn it samples Soul Sonic Force "Planet Rock" which in turn samples Karftwerk's "Numbers" which in turn is some stiff Germans character armoured take on James Brown...I'm falling down a rabbit hole here...

an example of early Baile Funk borrowing from DJ Battery Brain includes:

MC Tigra - Tira a Camisa

but then we get:

SD Boys - Planeta Dominado

blatantly steals from Soul Sonic Force

so is electro "proto Baile Funk"?

edit: post psychedelic "Bill" says "we are all one, we're all reading from ( or listening to ) the same Akashic record" *

* although sometimes we're illiterate or tone deaf and it takes us time to learn...

another edit: sorry, I'm completely out of it, I doubt any of you you can follow my train of thought here....but there must be other examples of tunes that spawned entire genres?

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Did a similar thread on here ages ago, not to derail this one but probably some good examples in here