apple music top 100

shakahislop

had nothing downloaded on my phone before a longish flight today and coz I just switched from tidal to apple music coz I wanted to reset the algorithm, apple music hasn’t figured me out yet and recommends generic things, so it was suggesting that I might like to listen to the top 100 tunes played by people in the UK in 2022 (including old tunes released before 2022 but I think most of it was made in the last couple of years). so I’m stuck with that on the plane and listened through which is quite a nice way to pass the time.

Basically there was a lot of mostly wet emoting, with a bit of boasting and some party tunes. Weird how grime echoes on in the charts. A few skittery hi hats from 2010s hiphop still being passed on as well. People playing instruments are almost entirely absent, everything sounds more like a DAW. There’s that kind of plastic production to everything, that thing of the infinite possibilities of computer produced music finally becoming really easy to do. There’s nothing that sounds like a drumkit but there a quite a few rhythms I didn’t expect, some knotty breakbeats here and there and not much 4 to the floor. There are quite a few tunes with the same fast snarey beat that reminds me of a lot of pop-punk, like that harry styles tune luka made a thread about or that weekend tune that was massive last year. Claps as beats seem to be in vogue. People seem to be open to weirder rhythms than I’d expected.

It is genuinely a bit weird to hear how much of the production is the same across the whole top 100, there’s a certain thing people are doing to drums and vocal production that obviously I have no idea how to explain. Loads of reverb as well. Vocals sound very perfect to me, quite grainless, they sound like those minimalist coffee shops where everything is white and looks like an old iPod to me.

There’s a fair amount of tunes that relate to I guess the concerns and needs of teenage girls, a kind of expressive confessional thing, and also at least one George Ezra that must presumably be played at children’s birthday parties, it really is children’s music. Guitar tunes are totally absent, except in how some of the teenage girl tunes basically sound like an even more watered down version of pop-punk. The most compelling bit of the teenage girls tunes is a bit in an Olivia rodrigo tune where she starts talking instead of singing, which is something I hear all over the place now, the podcast-music crossover is coming I think. All this stuff is American, UK doesn’t seem to make this stuff domestically.

There’s a whole strain of upbeat music for cheesy clubs and I guess the evocation of the clubbing experience through the radio, celebratory party music, David Guetta and Tiesto which I had assumed must have been over by now. There are still a few sounds in that stuff evoke an Ibiza beach to me, or at least some kind of foreign beach, which is again a long-lived resonance by this point. Male falsetto, or at least men singing quite high, which is the single most offputting thing for me, is everywhere, and so is autotune. Was happy to hear a d&b tune with a cheesy sample (down under), it’s still the thing that makes me feel the most home in England, glad that the lineage lives on, and there were a couple of decent house tunes as well. Nice to hear that someone sampled In For The Kill as well coz in my mind that’s a Skream tune.

Euphoria is all over the top 100 actually, it’s generally happy and upbeat. A lot of the sad tunes are made by UK rappers surprisingly, it’s either that or it’s like tom odell and that kind of thing doing a kind of hangdog lovesick falsetto. There’s a Dave tune on there and he sounds totally despondent, it’s weird to hear the usually upbeat or at least rowdy grime/UK hiphop thing used to fill an emotional hole that used to be filled by acoustic guitar music. Jack Harlow isn’t UK I think but is more or less the same kind of thing, although he’s a lot more in the early Drake template, silky smooth R&B production, and that boasting vs dissatisfaction dynamic that Drake used to pull off. Apparently Future is still making tunes that people listen to en masse, I’ve never got the appeal even though mainstream us hiphop is right up my street, there just doesn’t seem to be anything of interest going on with him. Someone I’ve never heard of called ArrDee has a pop-drill tune in there, which is pretty interesting firstly coz it also has a garage thing going on and secondly coz it shows that even something as malevolent and mean as UK drill eventually gets chucked into the pop pot. AJ Tracey is in there, obviously he hasn’t made anything good for a long time but have a soft spot for him coz his first tunes sounded so much like wiley.

Absolutely none of the tunes in the top 100 were funny, I don’t think I caught one joke. I keep telling people that afrobeats are taking over the world – I heard a lad djing amapiano to sunbathers at a hotel pool in Morocco the other day – and they’re around in this, mostly on tunes involving ed sheeran – there were literally three of them - and doja cat.

Unsurprisingly the best thing on there was Running Up That Hill. I got a lot out of the re-emergence of that tune over the summer, it felt like something weird was happening with time, the sense of the past and the future being so connected. I’ve never been into her but I think I have some deep memory somewhere of hearing her on the radio when I was very little.

Leo

It is genuinely a bit weird to hear how much of the production is the same across the whole top 100, there’s a certain thing people are doing to drums and vocal production that obviously I have no idea how to explain. Loads of reverb as well. Vocals sound very perfect to me, quite grainless, they sound like those minimalist coffee shops where everything is white and looks like an old iPod to me.

I haven't cared about the top of the charts in ages, but this is a complaint of mine. it's not like pop hits have even been that varied or challenging, but it's become so homogenized sound wise. It probably clouds my perceptions, I dismiss potentially good songs out of hand because they have that sound.

Last edited:

shakahislop

I haven't cared about the top of the charts in ages, but this is a complaint of mine. it's not like pop hits have even been that varied or challenging, but it's become so homogenized sound wise. It probably clouds my perceptions, I dismiss potentially good songs out of hand because they have that sound.

i mean how does this work? the producers are all copying each others ideas? presumably there's a load more data on what people like and listen to now that there would have been ten years ago, given that every aspect of streaming music is presumably tracked and regressed etc

shakahislop

the literal-ness and directness of the lyrics of most of it feel very much of the moment. that's a trend that's everywhere, in all artforms, definitely something i see in the nyc galleries (slice of life paintings particularly of black people are everywhere). autofiction has been much commented on. there was an old oasis tune on the apple top 100 and a couple of fleetwood mac ones, the ambiguity and abstraction of the lyrics was notable.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I wonder if pop artists (or rather, the people who write their lyrics) consciously write lyrics that are easily meme-able/hashtagged etc. They must do, right? I don't think this was covered in 'The Song Machine' but maybe it was. I think I remember from that book that for producers like Max Martin lyrics come last in the assembly line system, they're there just to fit with the scrupulously crafted crack-catchy melody.

version

I wonder if pop artists (or rather, the people who write their lyrics) consciously write lyrics that are easily meme-able/hashtagged etc. They must do, right? I don't think this was covered in 'The Song Machine' but maybe it was. I think I remember from that book that for producers like Max Martin lyrics come last in the assembly line system, they're there just to fit with the scrupulously crafted crack-catchy melody.

Saw someone say this about the new SZA album yesterday, lyrics designed for people to tweet.

shakahislop

saw an interview with billy corgan the other day (yes i know, but there's a certain fascination in meeting these superstars of your childhood on youtube, to rip away the myth from these quite foundational memories), he was talking at length about how specific the sound of something like Siamese Dream is, how it could only have been produced in that time - ok so far so self-aggrandising, so boring - but what he went on to say is that this is nothing really to do with him and the other hero musicians, that really it was the whole set up at the time, the kinds of equipment they had available to them, how hard it was to use computers for production at the time, what the studio engineers at the time thought sounded good, the kinds of equipment that were available. he was saying that trying to produce anything in that way now just wouldn't work, people don't know how to produce in that kind of labourious way anymore, everyone knows how to do a load more stuff on a computer that was impossible in 1994 but there's not anyone around that knows how to do it in the same way as they did back then.

...and he didn't say this but a major label also had enough money at the time to let a moderately successful rock band decide to fly a 30 person orchestra in and fly a composer in from london, to let billy corgan write a string section for one tune, but that's by the by.

the point being that in D&G terms this assemblage could only have existed at a very particular point in time, that's now passed. i'm not trying to get at a nostalgic thing and say that the way they did it in the 90s was better. but it's a distinctive feature of the Apple Top 100 and the Pitchfork Top 100, that on the level of production they do all sound the same, that the most prominent sound is that of the laptop doing its thing. which feels totally appropriate for the time, given how much of what's going on in popular + political culture now is everyone grappling with the consequences of everyone being on computers all the time.

shakahislop

definitely a thing for the kind of rap that gets onto tik-tok, not just for the dances, but some bars and hooks feel obviously made to be an accompaniment for 18 year olds to make their videos to. i know i keep going on about it but these kinds of forms are where the cultural new-ness is these days, the kind of thing that you couldn't imagine existing 20 years ago (to use the [i think] k-punk way of expressing that idea)

shakahislop

this is the second best song of the year according to pitchfork. it's a bit hard for me to get into the headspace of someone who would like this, would get something out of this. is it because its so deliberately uncool? i get the sense with some of this wetter indie stuff that people are into it because its a rejection of something. mad how upfront the lyrics are again, exactly like they were in the apple top 100

linebaugh

I guess pitchfork is now a NPR meets Rollingstone type of thing? Are they still pretending to like trap music?

shakahislop

I do like the instrumental on that one
what do you get out of it? my revulsion only kicks in once he starts singing, that kind of affected english voice just makes me turn and run. its partly because he sounds so posh. but also because i think he sounds so uncool.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I was perusing their ambient 50 last night in search of soporifics

It was quite well written actually (Simon Reynolds was involved) so I will now preemptively take back what I was going to say about Pitchfork and music critics in general

Also I listened to Beatport's top 50 of 2022, ready to hate it and rant about the ills of modern electronic music but I actually quite liked a lot of the tunes they picked. I mean they were all totally forgettable and middling and might as well not exist but I recognised that if I was still in a/the scene I might have thought they were important and very good

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I wonder if/suspect there's a crossover of pitchfork and NTS taste, an intersection of indie music and everything else which make Dean blunt sound like an acceptable rapper to their ears