Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This week I've been mostly watching videos on the subject of 'Britain's hardest convict' and all-round awful man Paul Sykes (R.I.P.)

The jumpoff: YouTube recommends me this documentary about Paul Sykes, which features the 6'4" heavweight boxer turned convict bullier/buggerer Paul mouthing off in his charismatic/tedious/scary way about how hard and intellectual he is before being released from jail to get married and bully his new wife and two sons (both of whom are now in jail for life for murder). We learn how Paul was beaten up by his own father, 'man hands on misery to man' and all that.

The follow up: Various videos, but above all several from Geordie hardman/ex-con Paul Cockerill talking about how Sykes was known for knocking out young convicts and buggering them (lovely stuff all this) and how another renowned hardman convict got in Sykes's face about it.

As with many of these rabbit holes, I spent as much if not more time reading comments under the videos than watching them. There seems to be quite an active community of ex-cons on YouTube (or people pretending they are).

I was going to make a thread about hard men but maybe we'll get more done by sharing our own particular dive-ins/nose-dives.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Mark Robinson

8 months ago
A friend of mine was in the police in Middlesbrough during lees reign of terror. He told me that when Lee died his grave had to be guarded because he was so hated, the locals wanted to dig his body up and hang it up in the town hall.

catalog

I've had that pop up in my recommends too but not watched it yet.

I watched the full video of shaun attwood interviewing this Nottingham gangster, think @william_kent posted it first.

Pretty interesting, got a bit of everything... Insane violence, police corruption, jail stories.
And that led me to a few others by the same guy.

Eg

But I've not finished a lot of them. Gets a bit repetitive and you find yourself wondering about why you are doing this...

But in terms of youtube comments, check them on that first one posted, lots of people who know of him etc

william_kent

I can't write anything about Shaun Attwood because he ls extremely litigious, but once you watch a few of his videos then your youtube feed will be full of videos where other prison groupies ( i.e., "public personality" James English), former guests of Attwood's, and every man and his dog all weigh in on the "battle of the podcasters" - James English calling Attwood a nonce, Attwood calling James English a woman beater, Darren Gee threatening anyone and everyone, etc.,

catalog

Oh right, I wasn't aware of that part of it all, but maybe you said it before.

OK so outside the true crime stuff, my other youtube rabbit holes are this chess channel

Which I used go watch obsessively and still do to a certain extent, but it's wearing off a little.

The presenter is a very nice Croatian guy who explains everything really well. He's got some good series on famous chess players as well.

I would recommend his Mikhail Tal saga () to anyone, it's excellent. Keep thinking I should get hold of Tal's book, he looks pretty cool

1200px-Mikhail_Tal_1982.jpg

Some of the games are really something, he makes a lot of audacious sacrifices. Very exciting player. Maybe that's an issue with the current games, I find magnus carlsen and Hikaru nakamura a bit boring, they're just so precise and practical.

catalog

And the other one is Canadian chef matty matheson who had a vice show i used to watch and has now struck out on his own.

I watched this one when I was on magic mushrooms and was laughing my head off

This is my mates top one. "Donair" cracks me up, just the spelling.

There's some good bants but he's not as dedicated as agadmator the chess guy, who's doing at least one new video a day. Mental work rate really.

Not sure if these posts are answering Corpseys original posts/question, but I'm in the market for some new YouTube channels.

catalog

At the moment I could really do with a good DIY channel, painting and other tips, skirting boards, minor plumbing and boilers, but one with some bants I mean, there's some horrorshow ones

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I don't know the rules of chess so that stuff isn't of interest to me but I was interested by the recent scandal around that guy allegedly cheating.

I'll have to check out those food ones. The only food show I ever got into on youtube was 'fuck that's delicious'

catalog

I don't know the rules of chess so that stuff isn't of interest to me but I was interested by the recent scandal around that guy allegedly cheating.
Yeah he's done a video on that but the whole thing boils down to the other guy, Hans Moke Neimann, what a name btw, cheating online quite a lot and they figured it out.

One of the reasons I don't really ever play chess online. What I like about it is the pressure of the live situation.

IdleRich

IdleRich
And the other one is Canadian chef matty matheson who had a vice show i used to watch and has now struck out on his own.

I watched this one when I was on magic mushrooms and was laughing my head off

This is my mates top one. "Donair" cracks me up, just the spelling.

There's some good bants but he's not as dedicated as agadmator the chess guy, who's doing at least one new video a day. Mental work rate really.

Not sure if these posts are answering Corpseys original posts/question, but I'm in the market for some new YouTube channels.

Watched parts of those videos, I feel fucking sick. Who can eat that sandwich for breakfast? Who can eat a donair at all? Has anyone had one?

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's like that Diners, Drive-ins and Dives and they show how they make a sandwich and they'll be all "we take a pound beef, and then put a pound of pork in and five sausages and then chicken, and then we add cheese sauce and mayo and then we deep fry the whole fucking thing and then we cover it in our special sauce and then we put some meat on top and then.... "

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Although having said that, the problem with that donair thing is it aint got enough in it, just onions and tomatoes and sauce on the meat, where is all the veg and spice?

IdleRich

IdleRich
I guess that I would be about the 10 millionth person to point out that there is a certain strand in American food (and life) which is simply about MORE. And it has its place no doubt, I think it just feels particularly uncomfortable to me now just after a period of Christmas excess, hence my strong reaction.

catalog

What's mental about the Donair one was the bit where he's just pounding the meat down for ages.

I did think I might try it though. But would go 100% lamb obvs.

Some off them go on a bit of an exploding-the-4th-wall tip like this one where the food stylist woman does a Billy Zane gag on him