Aging ("Ageing," to the obsolete)

wild greens

They're both pretty boring to me, to be honest. Kent is a bit more Horse & Country or whatever its called but 90% of Essex is actually places like Canvey or Harlow (or Maldon or Colchester or Brentwood) which haven't got much going on

The 10% of mad Essex is a good laugh though

Kent has an uneasy mix of local pubs for local people and South London exodus. I think the likes of Gravesend & Dartford will be very different in a generations time

Leo

yeah why not. ive been around a lot of kent people recently and have learned that they are just essex people without the flair. essex people with terrible clothes. essex people without the jokes.

For the benefit of us non-UK folks, can you define the Essex person stereotype? I've seen some references that make me think there's some equivalent to our Jersey Shore types, but maybe not that crude? a bit loud, flashy, not particular deep intellectually. Is that close?

wild greens

For the benefit of us non-UK folks, can you define the Essex person stereotype? I've seen some references that make me think there's some equivalent to our Jersey Shore types, but maybe not that crude? a bit loud, flashy, not particular deep intellectually. Is that close?

Not a bad summary

Leo

You could argue Staten Island and New Jersey are your closest equivalents but Essex has its own micro regional fizz of language and dress codes, start here

This bit from WG's link is very similar to Staten Island/Wall St

In 1990, a new term, “Essex man”, was coined by the Sunday Telegraph journalist Simon Heffer, to describe a new type of voter: a “young, industrious, mildly brutish and culturally barren” worker in London’s financial centre, whose roots lay in east London, and whose political views were “breathtakingly rightwing”.

version

The retirement age will have to rise to 71 for middle-aged workers across the UK, according to research into the impact of growing life expectancy and falling birthrates on the state pension... This age limit may need to be set even higher, say experts, thanks to the high rate of workers exiting the workforce before they reach state pension age, predominantly due to preventable ill health.

• Sad
Reactions: sus

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
@version Doesn't it remind you of Colonel Cathcart in Catch 22 constantly raising the number of missions his men have to fly before they're allowed to go home?

sus

Passing the time, distraction. Threadbare concentration to passing gems, ephemeral chimes, searching for a pattern.

sus

Clicking tiles clacking nails tapping icons into order, displacement of negative affects, boredom, a sense of waste. Lost in recollection, reversion to childhood, swaddled in hazy fictions, airborne dust glints in the sun kicked up by passing wheels.

sus

Palace of memory. Failed projects. Bets that never delivered that will never deliver. Old hands, old feet. Never to pay back the debt; the debt is mine; I pay it.

Cafeteria food, idle speculation, crooked fingers.You don't lose them all at once you lose them one connection at a time, shallow degradations of awareness, desensitized isolation. Timeless mother is this my slow death too.

sus

Term-coming. Storytelling before it's too late. They've heard it a thousand times before. Sense that the stories worth telling elude recollection. Gauze on paper skin. Wrapped in layers in the warm sun. The dust glints as it settles softly in the sun. Transition into immateriality. Neither here nor there. The senses are softened, the light is soft.

sus

Gleam of phone app facets. Align the jewels with crooked fingers. Check for status updates. Swaddled in scrolls. Soft memories now. A sense of (caverns measureless to man). Exploration years past, limestone low on accessibility.

sus

The reading machine breaks
The sense of use is lost
The context dwindles, "fades away," is lost
The world regains its strange presence
Untamed undomesticated
The stages reverse
The first gained the last lost